Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe. Buying stuff is nice too. Consuming things keeps life interesting. New gadgets and stuff that does interesting stuff. Why not? Two hundred years ago 95% of the population worked on the land farming. Now look.

OK so some idealists will tell you those days were better when consumption was less. I say boll0ocks to that. And the richer a country gets the more it takes care of the environment. So consumption does not just exponentially get out of control. People with money take more care because they're not so desperate. Poor countries with low consumption are the ones throwing all the plastic in the rivers and building coal-fired power stations.

And until they have our wealth they will continue to do so.
My post was for us who already have the goodies but are conspicuously wasting and damaging the planet.

For them there is a more moderate way middle way.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Every attempt to scrap Obamacare is intended to ensure that the poor become worse off. (There has been no attempt to define, let alone provide, a replacement.)

We also have the bizarre situation in which Gates is slammed for trying to provide vaccines (for whatever disease). Yet, if we believe some of this crap, that should be the very last thing he should be choosing to do.
You're way off there - just reproducing more fake news from the biased MSM. If Trump was trying to rip people off, why did he put so much effort to chasing down drug prices from companies that were actually ripping off poor people?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
From your cosy Trumpian world of alternative facts I can understand why you reject it out of hand.

Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History

Founded in 1989, the Center for Public Integrity (CPI) is one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations with a mission “to serve democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of public trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.” With over 50 staff members, the CPI is one of the largest nonprofit investigative centers in America. The Center releases its reports via its website to media outlets throughout the U.S. and around the globe. They won the Pulitzer Prize in 2014.

A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.

Overall, we rate the Center for Public Integrity (CPI) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and advocacy that favors mostly liberal positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/6/2016) Updated (10/18/2019)

I keep telling you, but it seems that you're too thick to get it. I'm not in any Trumpian world, neither am I a trump supporter. I only come here for a bit of banter, otherwise this forum would be an echo chamber, where you lot only hear your own voices. You'll note that it's very rare for me to express an opinion about anything. I just put info in front of you for you to think about, and I ask questions to see if you're arguments are grounded.

Here's some nice music to cheer you up. This is an oldie but goodie. RIP Charlie Daniels:

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why are you complaining things are cheaper somewhere new - like the same thing - cheaper. Why would anybody complain about that?
I'd rather whatever profit is made went to the company that made the product - rather than the company losing out by having to supply Amazon at a lower price, and Amazon increasing their dominance of the market.

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You're way off there - just reproducing more fake news from the biased MSM. If Trump was trying to rip people off, why did he put so much effort to chasing down drug prices from companies that were actually ripping off poor people?
By how much has Trump actually caused drug prices in the US to be reduced?

By apparently making it easier to import from Canada, he has simply precipitated a wide ranging ban on medicine exports from Canada to protect their own supplies. Thus very little, if any, benefit with possible worsening of the situation for some.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
How long before that nice Mr Biden decides to go to war and kill some people?
The Military/Industrial complex in America hate Trump because he did not want to go to war.
The one time that he did bomb Syria, the MSM were fully in support.
The World is just a bit less safe now that the Democrats are going to be in charge.
The UK will suffer under Biden, being a Globalist of Irish descent he has no liking for Brexit Britain.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Overall, we rate the Center for Public Integrity (CPI) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and advocacy that favors mostly liberal positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/6/2016) Updated (10/18/2019)

This I find very interesting. Whenever I see an organisation with a name like that, my spider senses go into overdrive. It's a bit like Antifa (Antifacists), who are one of the most fascistic organisations there's ever been. This sort of thing is straight out of the communism instruction manual.

Anyway, what I normally do when I see things like that is to look at who's funding them. Every time, when I follow the funding up through the levels, I come to the same Great Reset organisations and people: George Sorros, the big tech multi-billionaires, the Clinton foundation, etc. Do it yourself if you don't believe me, and when you look at the organisations donating at each level, ask yourself why they would do it, because for many, if not most, the donation doesn't seem to be in line with their mission statement.

Here we go: Take one from right at the top of the list of first tier funders: The California Endowment’s mission is to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians
Why are they sponsoring fact checkers?

Then this from another page under "Our Commitment":
These three bold ideas reflect our belief that California will be a healthier place to live and a model for the nation when it is free from social inequality and racial injustice.

That's weird because from their mission statement, I'd have thought that they'd be providing medical facilities and doctors for young people that couldn't afford medical treatment rather than worrying about racial injustice.

Note the similarity between that and what you see on the WEC website about The Great Reset". Hello!
I found that in three minutes. When you go through the whole lot, you'll get the picture.

I still ask what happened to all those 100s of millions in BLM donations. Do you think some of it might be sponsoring fact checkers and groups that do nothing but attempt to discredit and deplatform people that speak against The Great Reset agenda?

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
How long before that nice Mr Biden decides to go to war and kill some people?
The Military/Industrial complex in America hate Trump because he did not want to go to war.
The one time that he did bomb Syria, the MSM were fully in support.
The World is just a bit less safe now that the Democrats are going to be in charge.
The UK will suffer under Biden, being a Globalist of Irish descent he has no liking for Brexit Britain.
I will grant you that. Trump was less Republican and more isolationist than previous administrations. But I think he was just storing up trouble and greater military adventurism for these next years. The moving of the capital of Israel,has inflamed the middle east, the murdering of the Iranian General, the fustering with North Korea, actions with China have made rapprochement more difficult.
And yes Biden will be no friend to a Brexit Britain

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I keep telling you, but it seems that you're too thick to get it. I'm not in any Trumpian world, neither am I a trump supporter. I only come here for a bit of banter, otherwise this forum would be an echo chamber, where you lot only hear your own voices. You'll note that it's very rare for me to express an opinion about anything. I just put info in front of you for you to think about, and I ask questions to see if you're arguments are grounded.

Here's some nice music to cheer you up. This is an oldie but goodie. RIP Charlie Daniels:
Best video you have ever posted...

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
This I find very interesting. Whenever I see an organisation with a name like that, my spider senses go into overdrive. It's a bit like Antifa (Antifacists), who are one of the most fascistic organisations there's ever been. This sort of thing is straight out of the communism instruction manual.

Anyway, what I normally do when I see things like that is to look at who's funding them. Every time, when I follow the funding up through the levels, I come to the same Great Reset organisations and people: George Sorros, the big tech multi-billionaires, the Clinton foundation, etc. Do it yourself if you don't believe me, and when you look at the organisations donating at each level, ask yourself why they would do it, because for many, if not most, the donation doesn't seem to be in line with their mission statement.

Here we go: Take one from right at the top of the list of first tier funders: The California Endowment’s mission is to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians

These three bold ideas reflect our belief that California will be a healthier place to live and a model for the nation when it is free from social inequality and racial injustice.

That's weird because from their mission statement, I'd have thought that they'd be providing medical facilities and doctors for young people that couldn't afford medical treatment rather than worrying about racial injustice.

Note the similarity between that and what you see on the WEC website about The Great Reset". Hello!
I found that in three minutes. When you go through the whole lot, you'll get the picture.

I still ask what happened to all those 100s of millions in BLM donations. Do you think some of it might be sponsoring fact checkers and groups that do nothing but attempt to discredit and deplatform people that speak against The Great Reset agenda?
But there's no such thing as a "Great Reset" is there though vfr. Some years I decided to study NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) under a friend of mine who is a master at it. Like most people I considered it a load of tosh but I wanted to know why I thought that rather than just say it was like most.
I learned a lot but above all I discovered how easy it is to be talked into or out of something. Take for example when you want to buy something online, you look up all the reviews to see what scores highest do you not ?
No ...that's not what you're doing, you're looking for a reason to buy a particular item so you want to be talked into it. Ever seen those forum posts where someone says " give me a reason to buy this camera or phone" they already know what they want, they just want everyone to agree.
In the US covid patients are screaming at doctors saying it's them who have infected them with something, not covid...it doesn't exist. See..they have talked themselves into something like Trump who really thinks he's won the election when it can been proven otherwise.
I can reset my life anytime I want, dye my hair grow a beard take up sword fencing, same me though and same world too.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I'd rather whatever profit is made went to the company that made the product - rather than the company losing out by having to supply Amazon at a lower price, and Amazon increasing their dominance of the market.
But the company making it won't let you have it at that price because it's trying to squeeze more profits out of you than Amazon is!!!! That's the amazing thing about Amazon!

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
See that's called competition - and the consumer always wins.
Sorry - on a roll about Amazon...

Presumably all the real problems in the world are solved now that we’ve got people whingeing about convenient retail. Which is what is happening here with the new Amazon Must Pay campaign (anybody heard of this?).

Technological change now means that retail over the internet works. Lots of people like this. The price pressures from it – oft dubbed The Amazon Effect – have reduced, at least, inflation by 0.5%. The other way of looking at this is a rise in real wages for everyone of 0.5%.

Not a huge amount you might say but that is also, by definition, 0.5% of GDP. Which, for Europe and North America is about $40 trillion a year. Or, running that through the back of the envelope calculator, consumers are better off by $200 billion a year, each and every year, as a result of the existence of Amazon.

They’re better off by that amount at minimum.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

that is because social inequality and racial injustice are two root causes of poor health.
These two issues lead to poorer job prospect and education which lead to lack of opportunities and general poverty.
When you are poor, everything is a priority and health care is not the top issue.

• Agree
Reactions: RossG and flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
otherwise this forum would be an echo chamber, where you lot only hear your own voices.
You really have no idea who is here do you?

Could you tell us which of us (already) here voted leave?

Which of us supports Farage for a knighthood?

Which of us (again already) would have voted for Trump not Biden?

No. You've no real idea. You assume we're all the same and from your own obvious echo chamber accuse us of being in one.

You are a classic troll.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Back on planet Earth

farmers being bribed off the land, bang goes anything home grown, we'll be grateful to live off imported chlorinated rats in future.
Oh the joys of Brexit
Rat soup anyone?
To think some idiots voted for this government :D
This Govt wants to wind down British farming, wind down local food supply— and get it all as cheap food imports from overseas.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Back on planet Earth

farmers being bribed off the land, bang goes anything home grown, we'll be grateful to live off imported chlorinated rats in future.
Oh the joys of Brexit
Rat soup anyone?
To think some idiots voted for this government :D
This Govt wants to wind down British farming, wind down local food supply— and get it all as cheap food imports from overseas.
I think there will always be a market for high quality British produced food. I'll buy it, and whenever a market exists someone will step in to fill it. Might be more expensive though and not exactly what was promised. In fact, is there actually anything left on the table from pre-referendum days?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am pretty sure we'll have a deal and food prices may go up a little but not hugely.

Talks are now about fishing quota, that means the UK have probably agreed to level playing field and 50% of the fish is ours in the first place, so the EU will have to retreat on this and accept a 3-year implementation of the changes.
The EU is proposing UK to have 18% of total catch (up from 12.4%), I reckon we'll settle for 35%-40%.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/pdfscache/1196.pdf

The fishing fleets of Spain (0.9 million tonnes of live weight in 2017), Denmark (0.8 million tonnes in 2018), the United Kingdom (0.7 million tonnes), France (0.6 million tonnes) and the Netherlands (0.4 million tonnes) caught about two thirds of all aquatic organisms in the EU in 2018 (see Figure 4).

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/
quote:
in England nearly 80% of fishing quota is held by foreign owners or domestic Rich List families, and more than half of Northern Ireland’s quota is hoarded onto a single trawler.

Advertisers