Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The real solution remains to get rid of i.c. altogether.

We only developed this bonkers habit of driving long distances and travelling so much because i.c. engines made it possible. Without them, or if we'd had the foresight to avoid using them so much, society's structures would have developed very differently and far better. We may not have even bothered to develop e-cars.

Just think what we could have done with the trillions of hours we spent travelling. How clean the air would have been without all those i.c. exhausts. How much grief would have been spared if we hadn't been killing 1.35 millions on the roads every year, not to mention the injuries, disabilities and suffering caused.
Unfortunately tho the car and modern civilisationm are interdependent. Take away one and the other probably doesn't exist.
The car fed and motivated, literally and metaphorically, the commercial and hence economic development of Western (probably wortld wide) modern civilization. Look at Ford in USA, attracted thousands to work there and what did they buy with earnings.. Cars. The car industry fosters growth in steel, energy, electronics,... List is endless. Take away that driving force and chances are civisation remained in the 18th century. Roads, shops, retail, almost every industry, commerce and service there is owes some measure of thanks to the car and our desire to go places in one. Our shipping lanes transport cars , massive oil tankers built and filled with oil yo keep cars moving. Our roads and motorways, our towns and cities developed to accomodate...cars. Ice have for over 100 years been part and parcel of the car. Take them away and I wonder what remains. ++
It's quite a barmy argument to suggest we could enjoy lifestyles most do had car never existed. There is no other single item initiated such development in business,commerce and economies. I don't think we, d have modern civilisation without it. That's probably no bad thing but world wouldn't only be Ice /car less... Not sure there would many other industries.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately tho the car and modern civilisationm are interdependent. Take away one and the other probably doesn't exist.
The car fed and motivated, literally and metaphorically, the commercial and hence economic development of Western civilization. Look at Ford in USA, attracted thousands to work there and what did they buy with earnings.. Cars. The car industry fosters growth in steel, energy, electronics,... List is endless. Take away that driving force and chances are civisation remained in the 18th century. Roads, shops, retail, almost every industry, commerce and service there is owes some measure of thanks to the car and our desire to go places in one. Our shopping lanes transport cars , oil and spare parts. It's quite a barmy argument to suggest we could enjoy lifestyles most do had car never existed. There is no other single item initiated such development in business,commerce and economies. I don't think we, d have modern civilisation without it.
Agreed in the sense that we wouldn't have today's modern civilisation. We'd have had a different one instead, no doubt using vehicles.

Cars are not the only sort of vehicle and far from being only a benefit, they have been and still are a huge drain on society. They threaten the very future of the human race and advanced life on earth.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Latest from both Kyiv and Moscow this evening
Unlikely but possible methinks

Russia starts arresting the military in Moscow. According to Ukraine's Defense Ministry's Intelligence Directorate, Russia’s National Guard and police have started arresting military personnel in Moscow.
The traffic is blocked in downtown Moscow, according to the intelligence report, and all military units in the city are on high alert.
Units of Russian Guards Elite, Dzerzhynskyi division, entered the city, - Chief Intelligence Service of Ukraine. Multiple arrests, detainments and blockings of military are reported.
“We see the escalation of the conflict between Russia’s military and law enforcement agencies, and it is getting out of the Kremlin's control," said Mykhailo Podolyak, an advisor to the President’s Office.

Well who knows? so many different versions of reality these days

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Latest from both Kyiv and Moscow this evening
Unlikely but possible methinks

Russia starts arresting the military in Moscow. According to Ukraine's Defense Ministry's Intelligence Directorate, Russia’s National Guard and police have started arresting military personnel in Moscow.
The traffic is blocked in downtown Moscow, according to the intelligence report, and all military units in the city are on high alert.
Units of Russian Guards Elite, Dzerzhynskyi division, entered the city, - Chief Intelligence Service of Ukraine. Multiple arrests, detainments and blockings of military are reported.
“We see the escalation of the conflict between Russia’s military and law enforcement agencies, and it is getting out of the Kremlin's control," said Mykhailo Podolyak, an advisor to the President’s Office.

Well who knows? so many different versions of reality these days
Currently rumour, counter-rumour, disinformation, misinformation, total ignorance all swirling round.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cant get more green than that and you can eat it when the motor dies :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While on the bus today, I found myself watching the horizon for a blinding bright flash... and wondering how hard it would be to construct (brown) lead foil lined thermal underwear. Truss might push a red button or two, in a fit of hawkish neoconic zeal. She looks manic. Her eyes look to me, like those of a sadist.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
while on treadmill run
Hating gyms, I started looking into buying one of those for my home... but soon realised the base of my research cone would be as wide as it was, for which ebike conversion kit to buy - at the apex, it would have again ended up with a choice between some proprietary and closed system vs as yet to be identified cheapo Chinese and easy to repair model. So I gave up investing the time looking. One ebike-like object at home is enough to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Exciting if true:

"Last week the Sunday Mirror revealed 70 no-confidence letters would be needed for backbench shop steward Sir Graham Brady to warn Ms Truss that her time is up.

MPs now estimate that threshold has been met.
"

Of course, it'd be better for Labour if she remained.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Exciting if true:

"Last week the Sunday Mirror revealed 70 no-confidence letters would be needed for backbench shop steward Sir Graham Brady to warn Ms Truss that her time is up.

"

A (no?) confidence vote is derigeur for PMs these days. Lizzy seems to be earning hers in record time, her boxes are still sitting unpacked in the hall at No10.
Just get kettle out lads, will save some time.
Reaching point No 10 doesnt employ furniture removers rather Ryan Air baggage handlers. They've installed a carousel.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
While on the bus today, I found myself watching the horizon for a blinding bright flash... and wondering how hard it would be to construct (brown) lead foil lined thermal underwear. Truss might push a red button or two, in a fit of hawkish neoconic zeal. She looks manic. Her eyes look to me, like those of a sadist.
Ironic that the headlines are about someone else being a sadist!

Politics live: Cabinet minister faces questions as Tories told to rally behind Truss - and Gove labelled a 'sadist'

Haven't read the story on that site - just wanted to quote a headline.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Exciting if true:

"

Why 70?

Seems they have 356 at present. Take Truss herself out of the number counted making 355. So 70 appears to be 1 under one fifth.

(They had 357 until Friday!)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I hate the Mail:

'My biggest fight wasn't with Covid - it was against grandstanding Matt Hancock and the exasperating 'Blob'': Head of UK's vaccine taskforce KATE BINGHAM reveals the struggles and painful bureaucracy behind Britain's world-beating jab programme
  • In June 2020, Kate Bingham faced an extraordinary ambush by Matt Hancock
  • Bingham said she asked Health Secretary for advice ahead of Cabinet meeting
  • When it came to committee discussion, Hancock 'traded in Dr Jekyll for Mr Hyde'
By Kate Bingham and Tim Hames For The Mail On Sunday

Published: 22:02, 8 October 2022 | Updated: 22:02, 8 October 2022

And I know that the above promotes a book.

But Hancock doesn't come out well.

Matt Hancock 'joins line-up for Celeb SAS: Who Dares Wins' after impressing bosses

I think I might hate Hancock as much as the Mail.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A diesel car carting around a bloody great big battery, motor and reserve drive system... Or an ev with a generator.. There really is a great big ironic elephant in the boot with either.
Hybrid.. An amalgam of the faults of both perhaps.
it may be easier to extract CO2 out of the exhaust gases than convert so many of our cars to electric.

MIT engineers develop a new way to remove carbon dioxide from air | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology

QUOTE:

The device is essentially a large, specialized battery that absorbs carbon dioxide from the air (or other gas stream) passing over its electrodes as it is being charged up, and then releases the gas as it is being discharged. In operation, the device would simply alternate between charging and discharging, with fresh air or feed gas being blown through the system during the charging cycle, and then the pure, concentrated carbon dioxide being blown out during the discharging.

As the battery charges, an electrochemical reaction takes place at the surface of each of a stack of electrodes. These are coated with a compound called polyanthraquinone, which is composited with carbon nanotubes. The electrodes have a natural affinity for carbon dioxide and readily react with its molecules in the airstream or feed gas, even when it is present at very low concentrations. The reverse reaction takes place when the battery is discharged — during which the device can provide part of the power needed for the whole system — and in the process ejects a stream of pure carbon dioxide. The whole system operates at room temperature and normal air pressure.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
it may be easier to extract CO2 out of the exhaust gases than convert so many of our cars to electric.

MIT engineers develop a new way to remove carbon dioxide from air | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology

QUOTE:

The device is essentially a large, specialized battery that absorbs carbon dioxide from the air (or other gas stream) passing over its electrodes as it is being charged up, and then releases the gas as it is being discharged. In operation, the device would simply alternate between charging and discharging, with fresh air or feed gas being blown through the system during the charging cycle, and then the pure, concentrated carbon dioxide being blown out during the discharging.

As the battery charges, an electrochemical reaction takes place at the surface of each of a stack of electrodes. These are coated with a compound called polyanthraquinone, which is composited with carbon nanotubes. The electrodes have a natural affinity for carbon dioxide and readily react with its molecules in the airstream or feed gas, even when it is present at very low concentrations. The reverse reaction takes place when the battery is discharged — during which the device can provide part of the power needed for the whole system — and in the process ejects a stream of pure carbon dioxide. The whole system operates at room temperature and normal air pressure.
A few issues.
Just what do you do with the carbon dioxide that is ejected?
A major issue with ICE is handling of oxides of nitrogen - not just carbon dioxide. And imperfectly burned fuel, lubricant, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Exciting if true:

"

And while the tories fixate on themselves, there's a quite serious mortgage crisis meets recession quietly lurking closer. In USA they argue its inflation rather than debt fuelled and absolutely fine, and different from 2008
I'm not at all convinced that's true in UK. Its overinflated asset prices, again, and unsustainable debt. The fact that the numbers are different is immaterial.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A few issues.
Just what do you do with the carbon dioxide that is ejected?
A major issue with ICE is handling of oxides of nitrogen - not just carbon dioxide. And imperfectly burned fuel, lubricant, etc.
Other residues also need to be scrubbed off the exhaust gas before separating CO2.
recovered CO2 can be disposed off where it's more suitable to do so. You can pump it into the soil where it can be digested or freeze it for example.
This method shows us a promissing technique where CO2 can be removed efficiently using a small volume and relatively lightweight equipment. At the moment, your e-cars carry a 200kg-300kg kit to do just that: removing CO2 from the city to release it elsewhere.

Advertisers