Broken battery

kster68

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2010
Hi, I was wondering if any users had experience with my problem.

I was given an Ezee Torq earlier this week, and everything is working fine, but I also recieved an extra Nimh battery. Apparently this battery has never worked and was replaced foc by 50cycles when the bike was new. So, being an inquisitive sort, I took a look inside the battery. The visible problem seems to be a broken thermistor. How it came to be broken I don't know..maybe there is an underlying electrical fault.

Given that it seems unlikely that I will get another Nimh battery, would it be worth an attempt at salvaging this one?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely worth a try. :)

The thermistor is a Semitec AT-4, part number: 103AT4 Shape 2. If not available, 103AT4 Shape 1 will also work. The main specification is R = 10k, B = 3435.

Semitec UK. Phone: 01606 871680, ATC Semitec - Products

They don't normally supply the public direct, but if you ask nicely, they may well send you a sample one free.

If there's any problem, a wide tolerance replacement is a Murata component from Radiospares, part number 188-5256, R = 10k, B= 3380

If there's still a difficulty or delay in getting a replacement, you can substitute with an ordinary 10k resistor which the eZee supplied charger will respond to ok. Doing this will mean no thermal cut-off of charge, but the charger has a secondary voltage based cut-off. That stresses the cells slightly more, but as it's an old battery, not too important.

You might find my "Torq Talk" website of interest.

Last edited:

kster68

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2010
Thanks for that flecc, I shall definitely be giving it a go.

The "TorqTalk" pages are great reading

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
different broken battery could help

I have an old battery with its only fault being the external fuse holder broken.

Flecc, could I open it and take this part out to post?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's buried in between the cells stacks in some versions Conal, so might not be so easy. It's a small bead component with two thin wires, one to the centre connection of the charging socket. It doesn't have any polarity.

However, I don't think Kster68 will have a problem getting one, Semitec are usually happy to post one free as a sample, it's easier for them to do that than explain or argue about supplying one offs.

Last edited:

Advertisers