Buckled rim

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Hi. I have an issue with the rear rim on my Carrera-e.
I could feel a slight 'bump' when riding and upon closer examination it looked to have a small flat spot on the rim. Looked like from kerb strike, pothole etc, but don't remember any!
Took it into Halfords, who said they can't repair it if pushed flat, even slightly and need a new rim.
Is this the case or can they be fixed?
If needing replacement, what 700C rim do you recommend as would like a strong one as this standard one didn't last long !!

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Better safe than sorry with rime, really. Mavic are good; their A319 would be a good replacement, but make sure you buy the one to match your hub spoke hole number. Easy to buy the wrong one. DAHIKT!

Does the bike have disc brakes? A disc-specific rim would also be good, although the weight saving is marginal on ebikes, TBH.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I believe they are 36 hole and yes do have disc brakes.
I take it they are a good strong rim?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think it makes much difference which make of rim you use. I use the cheapest Chinese ones, and I'm always riding up curbs and down sets of steps, plus I'm probably 105kg with clothes on.

Ones with a deep section will be stiffer and stronger than your one, which don't have a very deep section, though you'll get a harsher ride with stiffer rims.

Rims with eyelets in can hold your spokes at the wrong angle, so avoid those if you have 13g spokes. I'd use 14g anyway.

Unless your new rim has the same ERD, which is not very likely, you'll need new spokes too.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I don't think it makes much difference which make of rim you use. I use the cheapest Chinese ones, and I'm always riding up curbs and down sets of steps, plus I'm probably 105kg with clothes on.

Ones with a deep section will be stiffer and stronger than your one, which don't have a very deep section, though you'll get a harsher ride with stiffer rims.

Rims with eyelets in can hold your spokes at the wrong angle, so avoid those if you have 13g spokes. I'd use 14g anyway.

Unless your new rim has the same ERD, which is not very likely, you'll need new spokes too.
@

Thanks. What is ERD? How much do you pay for your rims , the A319 is about £30?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
That's the going rate. Spokes will be about 50-75p each, plus nipples, plus wheelbuilding costs, unless you do it yourself.

One other point: rear rims rarely buckle/deform like this, IME, so are you keeping a close eye on your tyre pressures? Not having enough air in them will increase the likelihood of rim damage.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A whole new wheel won't cost much if you look around, unless it has the motor in it.

D

Deleted member 4366

@

Thanks. What is ERD? How much do you pay for your rims , the A319 is about £30?
I built my last wheel (yesterday) with one of these, which are £9 if you buy two. They're 26" rims:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gietong-26-Double-Wall-Bicycle-Rims-Mountain-Bike-Alloy-Wheel-Cycle-Rim/191578471243?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=20140122125356&meid=427c454d00c742f897771d3db3e1c4a7&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=351557537454

ERD is the effective rim diameter. It's a key wheel-building parameter that you need to know to calculate the spoke size. If you measure the inner diameter of the rim (in two places at right angles to each other and take the average), then add 3mm, that's close enough. Normally, the supplier should indicate the ERD in the listing, but never trust that unless it's a well known brand. I always wait until I get the rim and check it before ordering the spokes. Some of the stated ERDs have been wildly out.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Interesting thanks. The eBay ones are a cheap rim. They don't seem to do a black 700c disc one, which I would like.
As I have a Halfords care plan, then they are fitting a new rim. The labour is free and I pay for the rim, about £30. They are fitting the same one as standard as they don't do a stronger one. Lets hope this one lasts a little longer, as the first one got the flat spot with no memorable impact !

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Generally speaking, the dearer the rim, the lighter, which isn't necessarily what you want for an ebike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Generally speaking, the dearer the rim, the lighter, which isn't necessarily what you want for an ebike.
Good point. I've seen more cracked expensive branded rims than unbranded ones. Maybe because to make them light, they have to use harder alloy, which cracks more easily.

Those £19 Mavic ones will probably be fine. You get branded and cheap.

Advertisers