Cadence sensor

Montybaber

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2018
Dorset
A friend is having problems with his eco expedition, the sensor doesn't appear to be picking up the magnets on the crank

He is looking to bypass the sensor and fit a throttle short term, he has been advised by a cycle mechanic that it will be a straight replacement (wired into sensor plug on controller) although I have my reservations

I suspect the sensor is giving a different signal to what the throttle will give (assume 0-5v) I assume a pulse?

Can anyone please advise, I have suggested he fits a new sensor to the crank but I don't want to give him duff information

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't plug a throttle into a pedal sensor connector. the controller is looking for a pulsed signal.

There may be an unused throttle connector if you have a look at the controller. The display is an LCD, so the controller is most likely a standard KT one that many brands use.

Your diagnosis of the cause of the problem is most likely completely wrong. your bike mechanic clearly doesn't have a clue, so don't listen to anything that he says.

There should be a 1mm gap between the pedal sensor and the magnet disc. if it's more, lever the disc sideways to reduce it. Also, the magnet disc needs to go round with the pedals. Did you play with any settings in the LCD?

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
Hi, I appreciate your help

First of all its not my diagnosis I have just been asked to help him fit a throttle as the bike mechanic couldn't help him apparently, I am new to ebikes but did not believe the advice he was given and was reluctant to assist

After a little more digging online I am pretty certain there is a throttle connector so this may be an option but I am going to suggest rectifying the issue with the sensor/magnet disk

I think the throttle idea was due to losing faith in the sensor as he has had issues with it before (he has had it adjusted a few times) as far as I can see it was just bent/levered closer which seems like a bodged repair

As for the LCD I have no idea? Can I ask why you ask?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
After a little more digging online I am pretty certain there is a throttle connector so this may be an option but I am going to suggest rectifying the issue with the sensor/magnet disk
AFAIK the Eco Expedition bikes are made by Shuangye. The same bike is offered in various OEM configurations, and Eco Expedition have changed/upgraded parts on theirs slightly since 2014/15.

The earlier version of this Shuangye MTB had an 880 LED display and had a throttle fitted. Later versions of this model had an 880 LCD or KT3 LCD. IIRC, 2016 onwards Eco Expedition bikes have the KT3 LCD.

If your friends e-bike has the later KT3 display, you can order original replacement cadence sensors (17 euro) and controllers (25 euro) direct from the maker Shuangye's own European on-line PayPal shop here (only limited e-bikes and parts are sold from this warehouse):

https://www.electricbicyclefactory.com/product-category/electric-bike-parts/

Shuangye do offer e-bike kits with a throttle using this same controller, so it may well be possible to add a throttle (d8veh will probably know just by looking at the pic below).
Parts for older versions of this bike/control system you may be able to get direct from Shuangye's main China site (this MTB seems to be Shuangye's generic version of the Eco Expedition bike): https://www.zhsydz.com/26-36v-mountain-bike-electric-2/

e-bike-controller-2-494x400.jpg

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
Thanks very much I will pass on the information, the controller in the picture is the one he has on the bike

D

Deleted member 4366

AFAICS, that controller is for a bike without any display. We need to see a detailed photo of the wires and connectors on the actual controller.

Montybaber

May 2, 2018
Dorset
In conclusion to this thread..

The original diagnosis was spot on and the sensor/disk was replaced and now the bike is working perfectly

Thanks for all the help

Advertisers