Changes in S pedelecs laws

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Being blunt, I'm pretty fecked off with the daily mention that dongles get scattered throughout seemingly every thread on here
I sympathise and agree Eddie. But the problem is that this sub forum is titled for Off Road, S-pedelecs and Overseas. The inclusion of S-pedelecs clears any mention of ebikes or gadgets that achieve assist speeds up to 45 kph as being permitted within the forum.

Of course only members resident in countries where the S class e-bikes are permitted should post on that subject since they have no practical legal use in the UK, but I can't see the speed merchants accepting that distinction.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
ed i dont plan on entering in any event on my bike as im just not interested in any of that tbh.

if i was and for off road comp id have got a different bike anyway and would not even need a dongle on it and blast round at 60mph

i could also get a 750w mid drive kit and use that with no dongle and be faster than my bike anyway for a lot less than my bike.

i mean law wise how many ppl on here has a bike with more than a 250w motor lots id say from the posts i have seen since i joined and far faster than my bike will ever go and have throttles too.

if we went by the law regarding posting on here and what is and is not legal over half the forum would be banned.
I think his point went past you at twelve o clock high.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I think his point went past you at twelve o clock high.

i know what he means just this site has adds on it that will also sell dongles with there bikes so why not ban them from advertising here?

and ban martin from ebike shop from posting as well.

not going to happen is it

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Hi RobF.
Just had another look at MHWBIKE from your link, what a range, of Ebikes they have, I have seen a nice 250watt (25kmph) Pedelec on there, BOSCH Crank Drive using the Nuvinci Hub.

Amazing that MHWBIKE can offer free shipping to the UK from Germany on bikes, will be looking in more detail at there offers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I know they're a German brand and MHW is based in Germany too, but it's a shame that there is such a mark-up on Haibikes when bought in the UK. I'm still trying to convince the other arf that I need one for next Summer :D

Very tempting to buy from MHW at those prices though, but I wonder what the dealio is if the bike develops a fault?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
thats 700 quid cheaper than uk and free postage is unbeatable as 700 quid will nearly buy a new batt and motor.
My whole bike cost that. But you have a strong pound and we a weak euro. You can make a very good pedelec which competes with big name brands performance wise for much less using a kit.

My kit was marked as "road legal" and not road legal because there is no way of sticking the required EN sticker on a bike that the kit supplier has not seen. That does not mean that with a bit of TLC it wouldn't pass scrutiny as a road legal EPAC.

The whole idea of legal kits for me is that you take a bike that you like or have on hand and add electric assitance to it within the framework of the law and (hopefully) within your budget. I would love to be able to buy a pedelec from a shop but that is two times what I had available for purchase. Yes I am talking about a second hand pedelec...

Dongles and whatever are just more marketing gimicks for people who do not have money problems. I couldn't care less about them. If you want to go faster than the law permits you don't need to spend very much money.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put it in the box and send it back same as rest of eu.

just might take a bit longer to sort out depending whats wrong with it

like whats a uk dealer going to do anyway send it back to Germany lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that is the point why even bother to send it to a uk dealer when they just take of faulty or broken part and send it back to Germany anyway.

just be faster if you done it ur self ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not much there on ebikes tho all could be sorted if sent emails days b4 you wanted 1 i guess

or just find another german dealer that ships to uk

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
It won't be the whole bike you need to send back just the faulty unit, but that will be a cost to you as an owner I would have thought.

Not sure how users on this forum feel about this but I would have thought most ebike 'fans' would like to see this industry grow here in the UK and would like a local shop to help if anything goes wrong...cant do that if you dont use us. I'll put my neck out and say I'll happily help any Bosch owner who needs it no matter where bought from and not for silly money either (if at all if its just advice) A good guy I know has recently become a UK Bosch rep and they (Bosch) are making a real effort to help and support UK Bosch owners.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so if you got a faulty bosch motor what will you do with it as it has to go back to bosch for warranty replacement same as the batt.

what is your price for a out of warranty motor or out of warranty batt price.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
so if you got a faulty bosch motor what will you do with it as it has to go back to bosch for warranty replacement same as the batt.

what is your price for a out of warranty motor or out of warranty batt price.
Never had to qoute for an out of warranty unit, I've been lucky I guess.... Do you have a unit that needs replacing?

As for a unit under warranty, it does go back to Bosch in Germany, usually takes about 4-5 days to remove, send back and recieve a new replacement unit and then fit. If you've bought from abroad you'd have to send that back yourself at cost. Its not easy just sending a battery on its own.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Not sure how users on this forum feel about this but I would have thought most ebike 'fans' would like to see this industry grow here in the UK and would like a local shop to help if anything goes wrong...cant do that if you dont use us. I'll put my neck out and say I'll happily help any Bosch owner who needs it no matter where bought from and not for silly money either
That's good to know Tom :)

I do think that Bosch and Yamaha need to have at least one fully equipped workshop here in the UK, to deal with any problems. Quick warranty turnaround would encourage customers to buy their products.

Maybe they thought about it, but didn't think it was cost-effective.

But then again, their bikes are becoming so popular in the UK, compared with a few years ago, that it really would be worth it.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
new motor is £513 and old motor needs sending first

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
new motor is £513 and old motor needs sending first
So you have out of warranty
That's good to know Tom :)

I do think that Bosch and Yamaha need to have at least one fully equipped workshop here in the UK, to deal with any problems. Quick warranty turnaround would encourage customers to buy their products.

Maybe they thought about it, but didn't think it was cost-effective.

But then again, their bikes are becoming so popular in the UK, compared with a few years ago, that it really would be worth it.
The support will get better and easier. Not long back from Eurobike and the Ebike scene is huge over the water, so many manufacturers now offering and dedicating a good range of ebikes. Bosch seemed to dominate the show with most bike manufacturers favouring their system. It has to filter through here and Bosch have taken notice of the UK market, hence the Bosch rep here now in the UK. Marks a good guy, I know him from when he worked for my neighbours here at Sigma Sports, he know's his stuff when it comes to bikes.

Reactions: Fordulike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not yet tho nothing lasts forever ;) faster i go the faster it falls apart 50 mph of down hill jumps ;)

Advertisers