Changing Disc Brake Pads

Rod Fuller

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Looking the procedure up on the web, every article started by saying remove the wheel. Obviously authors had not dealt with a rear hub motor deraileur etc.
I changed mine by undoing two hex head screws, noting where a spacer was located, removing the worn pads with long nose pliers, cleaning the mechanism and repacing the new pads. Hold the assembly in place on the disc, replace the spacer and tighten the two screws, job done.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Looking the procedure up on the web, every article started by saying remove the wheel. Obviously authors had not dealt with a rear hub motor deraileur etc.
I changed mine by undoing two hex head screws, noting where a spacer was located, removing the worn pads with long nose pliers, cleaning the mechanism and repacing the new pads. Hold the assembly in place on the disc, replace the spacer and tighten the two screws, job done.
Yeah, it's probably better to do it this way.

When a wheel is removed, then replaced, I usually find I have to realign the caliper to eliminate pad rub anyway.
Might as well do it as you describe, reset the caliper piston, give it all a good clean, fit new pads, refit caliper and realign.

Makes good sense mate :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I always remove the caliper, then you can do it at eye level instead of bending down and getting a crick in your neck. I think it's daft to take the wheel off.

Advertisers