Charger or battery?

Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
I plugged my battery into the charger, the light went straight to green and no charging happened. Zo! Is it the charger, or the battery?

If it's the battery, can anybody recommend a refurber? (I looked for a stickied thread on the topic and couldn't find).

If it matters: 30 month old Freego. Ridden five days every week, a total of about 13 miles a week. Charged every Sunday. Performance has been fine, nothing unusual lately...except the battery case popped open about a week ago and I snapped it shut again.

Thanks for any insights! I tried riding in under my own steam today and I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all.

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
First thing to do is put a DC voltmeter on the output lead of the charger and make sure it's the right voltage (it will be stated on the label on the charger somewhere). Also try wriggling the connector around as you do it to make sure it doesn't go intermittent.

If all good you really need to split the battery apart (which it sounds like it has already done once!) and check wiring and connections from the charging socket to the BMS. There will likely be a broken wire somewhere.

Failing that you will probably need to replace the BMS like I did here... http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/stealth-battery-wont-charge-suspect-bms.30233/#post-426424

• Useful
Reactions: Cooper

Cooper

Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
Thanks, PH001. I don't have a DC voltmeter, but it was also my husband's best guess that I nipped a wire when I popped the case back together. We'll open it up and have a look later.

If it is the BMS, I don't think I have the courage to attempt it on my own. We'll see.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BMS don't usually give many problems.
Check for any internal charge fuse (3 - 5a rating) other wise more likely a wire fault, the charging side is low amp so look at any thin wires going from the charging port or a loose wire.
Ideally you need a digital meter for any battery checking, get one off ebay for £5.

Cooper

Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
I've had a look. One of the small wires from the charger port does look a little chewed up. I've got a friend who's an electrical engineer who's promised to come over tomorrow afternoon and have a look. I think I've got *just* enough juice to get to work tomorrow.

Failing that, have a prayer for me riding shank's pony until I can get it sorted.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisers