Chris Evans & Top Gear

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Chris, " re Top Gear, I can categorically say that I am not and will NEVER be running for office" Evans, is to be the new Top Gear host.

Another programme destroyed by the Ginger Clown.

Any guesses for who the token woman will be? The Beeb have been waiting to socially re engineer this programme for years.

I'm please that Richard Hammond and James May have have had the good grace to not become involved. I hope the trio re-form and make a rival programme. But that might be difficult with a commercial broadcaster relying on advertising revenue.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Chris, " re Top Gear, I can categorically say that I am not and will NEVER be running for office" Evans, is to be the new Top Gear host.

Any guesses for who the token woman will be? The Beeb have been waiting to socially re engineer this programme for years.

I'm please that Richard Hammond and James May have have had the good grace to not become involved. I hope the trio re-form and make a rival programme. But that might be difficult with a commercial broadcaster relying on advertising revenue.
I don't really know Chris Evans - but I read with interest about the denials, then saying his private production company made a trial episode, the Jeremy James and Richard Hammond's tweets about trialling to become DJ's. The thing that seemed really unpleasant to me was that it all smacked off a hostile takeover - someone muscling in ever so nicely but selfishly to get something - I guess from a certain perspective TG is a big low hanging fruit (I don't watch top gear and don't really like it, but hey-ho, a lot of other people do)

Reactions: oldtom and tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chris Evans, is to be the new Top Gear host.

Fortunately I don't watch Top Gear and can't stand Chris Evans, so no loss to me.

I bear the BBC no ill will so hope the new Top Gear program will be successful for them, but I have my doubts. At least the first episode will have a big audience of the curious and the critical.

Reactions: timidtom and john h

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12

I'm not so sure about poor revenues. This show has a massive following world-wide and is widely available on peer-to-peer networks with a popularity rivalling Arrow and Game of Thrones. In Australia where I've just spent 33 years, there is a fanatical hard-core following and it is extremely popular there, it's blokey appeal goes down well with the skippy audience. I think if a commercial channel snapped up the trio and as much of the rest of the crew as they can muster, the world-wide revenues would be well worth the effort.
It's not a show I regularly watch, but with a couple of mates and a few more beers, the show has a lot going for it. I remember one particular episode with fondness, the one where they wrecked a couple of perfectly good caravans in the New Forest, towing them down tracks designed just for horses, absolute classic, even better after the 3rd or 4th beer. Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For those who wonder why Chris Evans was chosen, the BBC Radio 4 program "The Media Show" included a section in which Chris Evans tells Steve Hewlett about how the deal was done, and how he sees the future of Top Gear, plus the Controller of BBC 2 Kim Shillinglaw on why she thinks Chris is the best choice.

It was on this afternoon but can be listened to again on the BBC i-player on this link

I haven't listened so can't say how far in that item is in the half hour.

Reactions: tillson

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I don't mind Chris Evans and I imagine a the reboot will successful enough in uk

But whether it can continue to be such a huge revenue driver for BBC globally in longer term.......hmmm not at all sure

And bbc or guardian had some quotes from Clarkson that he and the other 2 will be making another show outside of beeb

Reactions: hopbackguy

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Just watching the last ever Top Gear episode. Fantastic.

What have the BBC done? When will they realise that people aren't interested in their political agenda.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

What have the BBC done? When will they realise that people aren't interested in their political agenda.
I doubt its politics,the BBC is an institution,I work in one ,the NHS,in my experience promotion and demotion in institutions come down to an unsavoury blend of sycophancy and narcisism

Reactions: crankyhorse
C

Cyclezee

Totally agree, last nights episode was brilliant.:)
OK, Clarkson has his faults, some of them not excusable, but those three individuals just work so well together to bring us entertainment.:)

In contrast Chris Evans makes me feel quite nauseous:(

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Totally agree, last nights episode was brilliant.:)
OK, Clarkson has his faults, some of them not excusable, but those three individuals just work so well together to bring us entertainment.:)

In contrast Chris Evans makes me feel quite nauseous:(
yes, I saw the first bit about classic cars and suddenly thought the same (that its much better than I thought), I never agreed with most of Clarkson's views, but say what one will, he presented a different view on reality, not some conforming insider mainstream crap

Reactions: tillson
D

Deleted member 4366

The bits at the beginning and end, whicher were filmed without JC somehow didn't really work. RH and JM seemed very unrelaxed and unnatural. I must say, though, that it was much better without a guest celebrity.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford

Interested to know what you mean. I think the BBC took the proper line here - indeed it's difficult to see how else they could have acted through the whole sorry mess.

I'm also not too sure it will change the BBC's revenue from Top Gear around the world compared to if the status quo had been maintained. I'd imagine quite a bit of that overseas revenue is from repeats, and the format was getting rather tired so how well would more of the same sell? Go back a little while and it was must-watch television (and I think it's probably that we are remembering with fondness) whereas the recent episodes, whilst they have had glimpses of brilliantness, have been largely uninspiring and even rather boring. I think a reboot could work.

Michael

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It was much better when it was called Wheelbase.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Evans is no stranger to following hard acts.

He did the same with Wogan on the BBC R2 breakfast show.

It took him a while to make that work - he said so himself - but it's still the UK's most listened to radio programme by a long way.

Evans has some motoring pedigree - his collection of Ferraris as one example.

To be fair to him, he even lets the public have a go in them at an annual event.

Evans went through his plonker phase, as many young men do.

But that was many years ago.

He has matured into a top class presenter.

If anyone can make a success of the new Top Gear, he can.

Reactions: mfj197

jimmyhackers

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
evans.....is a weirdo. and not just for the ginger hair.

he painted all his cars white due to some obsessive compulsive disorder.he is also a ferrari biased (fanboy)

i hate fan boys. i.e. people follow and name rather than a product and is therfore positively biased to any product made by his "fan boy" company even when said product is "crap".

id honestly like to see robert llewylyn as a main host. less biased "crap" about electric tech.

thats where clakson failed.....he had a massive sway over the UK's motoring population. and the UK is "sadly" full of "sheep".
nether the less, i dont think he inpired a nation to be dilligent attentive respectull drivers.

more like misinformed ,flippant, childish, self important drivers.

i wonder how many lives could of been saved if once every season topgear did an episode devoted/directed entirely towards simple car maintenance checks, road saftey and road etiquette.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
evans.....is a weirdo. and not just for the ginger hair.

he painted all his cars white due to some obsessive compulsive disorder.he is also a ferrari biased (fanboy)

i hate fan boys. i.e. people follow and name rather than a product and is therfore positively biased to any product made by his "fan boy" company even when said product is "crap".

id honestly like to see robert llewylyn as a main host. less biased "crap" about electric tech.

thats where clakson failed.....he had a massive sway over the UK's motoring population. and the UK is "sadly" full of "sheep".
nether the less, i dont think he inpired a nation to be dilligent attentive respectull drivers.

more like misinformed ,flippant, childish, self important drivers.

i wonder how many lives could of been saved if once every season topgear did an episode devoted/directed entirely towards simple car maintenance checks, road saftey and road etiquette.
i sortof agree, but i always felt ambivalent about Clarkson - while fundamentally disliking his views, there's part of me (and i suspect a lot of citizens) that feel like sheep anyway, herded by corrupt politicians making what must be the most disingenuous noises ever made on earth for, and related to his menopausal outbursts

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
Since we have pretty much the safest roads in Europe and heve had so for decades, and the biggest cause of accidents is Driver Error, the answer to that is from Paul Daniels for the maintenance checks - Not a Lot.

The etiquette and safety mightb be more promising but Top Gear is not mainly a motoring show. It is more a cross between Last of the Summer Wine, Men Behaving Badly, Scrapheap Challenge and (tries hard to think of gay Soap Opera and fails) the Likely Lads.

The nice thing about the more nauseating Ferrari Enthusiasts is that because the F-Cars are always broken or being mended, you never see them on the road.

Ferdinand

Reactions: flecc

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
That show has probably done more than any other to sow seeds of hatred between different road users. Then after the bile they just say: “But it’s all a bit of fun init?”

Last edited:

Advertisers