Cotroller

Ian R

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2023
Hi i have a Giant Talon converted with a 72v25A battery,3000w motor and a Savoton 72v45A controller.Will fitting a 72v 60A Savoton controller give me more speed and power,but reduce battery range thanx

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Maybe, but it will also totally nuke your battery.
If your battery is 25A maximum current you are already severly stressing it. At 60A it may collapse altogether.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi i have a Giant Talon converted with a 72v25A battery,3000w motor and a Savoton 72v45A controller.Will fitting a 72v 60A Savoton controller give me more speed and power,but reduce battery range thanx
No. If you're lucky, the BMS will just cut the battery off every time you demand power. If you're unlucky, the MOSFETs in the BMS will pop and either your battery will explode soon after or it'll just become totally knackered until it doesn't work anymore, which won't take long.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
You sure it's a 72v 25a battery and not a 72v 25ah?

Ian R

Sep 10, 2023
No. If you're lucky, the BMS will just cut the battery off every time you demand power. If you're unlucky, the MOSFETs in the BMS will pop and either your battery will explode soon after or it'll just become totally knackered until it doesn't work anymore, which won't take long.
You sure it's a 72v 25a battery and not a 72v 25ah?
72 v 25

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
OK, what you need to know is the maximum current capability of your battery. Not it's AmpHour rating, you've said this is 25, but it's maximum current.
To suit your existing controller this should be 50-55A. To suit your proposed controller it would need to be in the region of 70A. If the current delivery capability of your battery is less than this then, when you ask it for full power, voltage will sag, heat will increase causing an increase in internal resistance and so further voltage sag. Low volt protection will cut the system off until voltage recovers - if you're lucky. (If not then thermal runaway and fire is the result). Cell damage will occur every time this happens so shortening the life of your very expensive battery.
You are dealing with very big (not to mention illegal) numbers here. I hope, for your safety, that all cables, connectors etc. are capable of standing up to it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm not willing to comment other then to say as this is a EAPC/pedelec forum this joker should be on a dedicated e -motor bike forum for high power motorbikes.

Ian R

Sep 10, 2023
OK, what you need to know is the maximum current capability of your battery. Not it's AmpHour rating, you've said this is 25, but it's maximum current.
To suit your existing controller this should be 50-55A. To suit your proposed controller it would need to be in the region of 70A. If the current delivery capability of your battery is less than this then, when you ask it for full power, voltage will sag, heat will increase causing an increase in internal resistance and so further voltage sag. Low volt protection will cut the system off until voltage recovers - if you're lucky. (If not then thermal runaway and fire is the result). Cell damage will occur every time this happens so shortening the life of your very expensive battery.
You are dealing with very big (not to mention illegal) numbers here. I hope, for your safety, that all cables, connectors etc. are capable of standing up to it.

Ian R

Sep 10, 2023
Hi,i have had a Savoton 72v/60A controller fitted which has increased the power and speed.The problem is when i hard accelerate in any power level (1-5) and when i throttle off the rear motor slows right down,instead of coasting like the original 72v/ 45A contrller.Can you solve the problem thanx.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yes, sell your highly illegal electric motorbike and buy an internal combustion engine legal motorbike instead.
I'm not sure exactly what you're describing but it sounds like voltage sag caused by too heavy a current load being put on the battery. Which is exactly what was said would happen.
I foresee a very short battery life and/or your bike being seized and crushed and many points on your driving licence.
Let's see:
Battery voltage - illegal
Motor size/wattage - illegal
Maximum assisted speed - illegal
Riding an unregistered, untaxed, uninsured motorbike without a helmet - not only illegal but fraud.
Can you see the book being thrown?

Ian R

Sep 10, 2023
Yes, sell your highly illegal electric motorbike and buy an internal combustion engine legal motorbike instead.
I'm not sure exactly what you're describing but it sounds like voltage sag caused by too heavy a current load being put on the battery. Which is exactly what was said would happen.
I foresee a very short battery life and/or your bike being seized and crushed and many points on your driving licence.
Let's see:
Battery voltage - illegal
Motor size/wattage - illegal
Maximum assisted speed - illegal
Riding an unregistered, untaxed, uninsured motorbike without a helmet - not only illegal but fraud.
Can you see the book being thrown?
It all depends how and where you ride it. I use it to go from Stargate to Fleetwood which is ten miles and vise versa along the whole of the (Blackpool) promenade alot of times at a speed of 10-15 mph.The police here are alright with that,having asked them. We do have a lower prom,where you can speed up under certain conditions.Having a full motorcycle licence,not sure why other riders prefer these 600-1000cc motorcycles that do 150 - 190mph.I thought the speed limit in Uk was 70mph.The bike is going bk where i bought it.He thinks the regen setting wasn't switched off when he reprogrammed it. I'll keep you posted.

Advertisers