Could Strava be used to catch the dongled?

No one will be "caught" they'll just ban eMTB, or even worse..... all MTB at certain venues.

This new Bultaco is being promoted widely at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bultaco-Brinco-Electric-Mountain-Bike-/231927962184?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

it'll do 40mph up hill, even a recent magazine review I read didn't mention that you can't use it anywhere, the shops don't tell people you can't use it anywhere so people are going to be riding these all over the place soon.

Result... eMTB has a very limited lifespan in the UK.

Simply because the retailers are all after a quick buck before they are banned.

Sad times at the moment.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This "quick buck" disease is not restricted to the eBike sector in the uk, It's more widespread than that. The title, "Treasure Island" wasn't granted to us for nothing.

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Strava speeds are not very accurate. Today, according to strava, I averaged 15.6 mph uphill. My maximum speed up the hill was 28 mph. Trust me, I never got anywhere near 28 mph up that hill. Just for the record, my bike cuts out at exactly 15.5 mph, so my average speed shown means I spent a lot of time above the cut out speed. Either strava times are wrong or I'm really fit. I wish strava was accurate. :)

I see that MCN have reviewed the Bultaco.

That in itself tells me more than enough, and it isn't doing anyone any favours.

What hope have we got when Motor Cycle News, and also the new eBike Magazine Watt bike "review" this motorbike and don't in anyway mention the one big downside, that you can't legally use it anywhere.

I will bet my the days of electric MTB in this country are numbered... firts bans will happen at venues before 2016 is done I think.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Could it be likely that the whole thing will evolve? I understand your view on the legal bike thing as a manufacturer/supplier, but surely if all e-mtb's are banned from these events then there will arise events specifically for these bikes. If you, as a Manufacturer/supplier of "legal " e-bikes are worried for your business then will not manufacturer/suppliers of "Illegal" e-bikes be just as worried?
If you ask the man in the street his opinion he would say "What's an E-MTB?"

Reactions: interpaul
Could it be likely that the whole thing will evolve? I understand your view on the legal bike thing as a manufacturer/supplier, but surely if all e-mtb's are banned from these events then there will arise events specifically for these bikes. If you, as a Manufacturer/supplier of "legal " e-bikes are worried for your business then will not manufacturer/suppliers of "Illegal" e-bikes be just as worried?
If you ask the man in the street his opinion he would say "What's an E-MTB?"
Well yes, events might evolve. Much like MX and motorbike enduro events exist now. But these would be private events on closed land, just like the motorbike equivalents are. The advantage of these powerful eBikes - we make one its called the KTM Freeride, is that they are quiet so they can be used at tracks where noise pollution would normally be an issue.

The problem with silent bikes with pedals, like this Bultaco, is people, and MCN clearly themselves think they are riding a bicycle, so just use it on the road and in the woods. The pedals make them think its not a motorbike.

Thats the dangerous bit, and the bit that will see all eBikes banned from places like National parks, bike parks etc etc, which would be a real shame, for a host of reasons.

Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

interpaul

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2016
Well yes, events might evolve. Much like MX and motorbike enduro events exist now. But these would be private events on closed land, just like the motorbike equivalents are. The advantage of these powerful eBikes - we make one its called the KTM Freeride, is that they are quiet so they can be used at tracks where noise pollution would normally be an issue.

The problem with silent bikes with pedals, like this Bultaco, is people, and MCN clearly themselves think they are riding a bicycle, so just use it on the road and in the woods. The pedals make them think its not a motorbike.

Thats the dangerous bit, and the bit that will see all eBikes banned from places like National parks, bike parks etc etc, which would be a real shame, for a host of reasons.
I own A KTM Freeride E, was one of the first to buy one last year. Why did I buy it? Because I wanted a quiet bike I could get away with riding in sensitive areas - why else would you buy one? The range isn't long enough to use for Enduro nor is it viable to use at an MX track. Anyone I know who has bought one, or is interested in a Freeride E wants it for stealth riding so to complain about the Brinco is a bit hypocritical - I think KTM see it as a viable rival to the Freeride E space - which it is. The Freeride E was launched in Austria at Saalbach Downhill MTB trails so it is being aimed right at the same market as the Brinco.

I have demoed the Brinco for a week and would consider replacing the Freeride with it. It makes MTB fun and as long as it's used away from the public does not represent any real issues. When I was out I slow up and come off the throttle and pedal if I come across the public. I am all for them and bikes like the Stealth Bomber and Qulbix are adding exciting new options to the mix.

Bring it on!

PS - I still ride my KTM 690 SMC most days - I am an Orange fan :)

Mar 9, 2016
Freeride E makes no pretentions to be a pushbike and can ( is) registered / insured for use on road.
Its a viable replacement for many to use instead of small enduro motor bikes.(I,ve tried one myself to replace a 125 Enduro)
If the Brinco is used in places where only pushbikes( and real pedelecs) are legally allowed all pedelecs will be banned in national park areas etc.
We will pay price for others selfishness.
I believe the Brinco can be reg as a motorbike. If it cant nobody should buy one. It wouldn't compete with a true enduro anyway.
If you are buying it to be stealthy you are just trying to hide your illegal activity. That will have repercussions for us all.
I,d be interested to know exactly where you think riding Brinco off throttle is acceptable...??? You night as well be on your 690...at least you wouldn't get Pedelecs banned then...but hiding behind pedelec law suits you ? But for how long ???
Its an extremely selfish attitude." I,ll tell everybody my bike is a pedelec because they are allowed here, then when they all get banned...I,ll go back to my 690 with all restrictions it has off road " Great..
Its simply abusing and taking advantage of privileges pushbikes have so you can ride motorbikes where they are banned.

Last edited:

interpaul

Apr 22, 2016
Freeride E makes no pretentions to be a pushbike and can ( is) registered / insured for use on road.
Its a viable replacement for many to use instead of small enduro motor bikes.
If the Brinco is used in places where only pushbikes( and real pedelecs) are legally allowed all pedelecs will be banned in national park areas etc.
We will pay price for others selfishness.
I believe the Brinco can be reg as a motorbike. If it cant nobody should buy one. It wouldn't compete with a true enduro anyway.
If you are buying it to be stealthy you are just trying to hide your illegal activity. That will have repercussions for us all.
I,d be interested to know exactly where you think riding Brinco off throttle is acceptable...??? You night as well be on your 690...at least you wouldn't get Pedelecs banned then...but hiding behind pedelec law suits you ? But for how long ???
Yeah, my bike is road legal and insured, but take a look at how KTM are marketing them:

"LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES"

The bikes are not the problem, the current laws are the issue. When the Brinco is on Eco mode it is restricted to under 15mph which I understand is a road legal speed?

Mar 9, 2016
Afraid not. The Brinco is not pedelec legal in any mode. Read the legal section on Forum.
Its this fogging of the issue that makes folk think they are fine.
Infact phone Brinco dealer up. I did. He says it is not road legal ( without reg/ etc etc)
If its not road legal as a pedelec it should only be used in" private enclosed land , with written permission from land owner"
You know full well where your 690 can be used..now think where you could use it with no insurance,tax, or reg...thats a Brinco.
KTM are marketing to whole of Europe, and in some countries dirt bikes have almost limitless possibilities off road. That is simply not case in UK, and if you have an off road motorbike, you already know that.
Imagine riding your 690 over walking paths in Derbyshire ? The Brinco( and E ride) are identical legally.
If you put pedals on your 690 and limited its top speed to 15mph would it be a pedelec..? Nope.

Last edited:

interpaul

Apr 22, 2016
My 690SMC is a road bike, would never take it off road - I love it too much.

Have owned various dirtbikes, EXC450, EXCF250, SXF250, SX125 to name a few - I know the laws and where riding off road is tolerated by the police in my locality. I also used to go regularly to MX tracks but a major dirtbike accident 3 years ago has ended that - so that's how I became interested in Ebikes. I also ride Uplift DH days - I like MTB but spending 2 hours cycling up for 20 mins down is not my bag. I rode a Haibike Xduro (with Dongle fitted) Pedelec which you have previously commented on - the output from that bike is also technically illegal but there was a group of at least 15 on them at Glentress when I tested that bike. I didn't hear anyone bleating on about that.

I am not stupid, I won't take a bike like the Brinco to trail centers and will go to places I know will not upset other users (places where my freeride goes without issue).

Mar 9, 2016
This thread is about Strava getting ebikes banned. You come on here telling us further activities that will have same effect.
Yes your 15 friends on dongled bikes are doing exactly same.
I didn't say you were taking your 690 "off road". I said you might as well if either riding dongled bikes or Brincos or any other untaxed, uninsured, un reg motorbike off road.
I,ll get off my high horse when folk stop posting about activities which will get emtb banned everywhere.
wp_ss_20160507_0001.png

No don't bring anything on.
If you want to ride in national parks; forests; local parks and all other places push bikes ( and at moment pedelecs)are currently allowed to go along with mums with prams, kids ; dogs ; horses and everything else use a legal emtb and stop ruining it for the rest if us.
Its your ilk being totally selfish but get annoyed when such as me climb on the horse for a rant.
The crux of your argument is its ok to break the law if I do it quietly..Stealthy!
Its a Pedelec forum when all said and done.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just as a pertinent addition regarding Strava users...
The whole idea of Strava is competition which has the undesirable effect of having bikers on all bikes chasing segment times. Strava segments should not be allowed on shared paths.
There is a massive clue in the word "SHARED"

Advertisers