Count Arthur Strong

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Very rarely to i ever watch anything on TV these days. But now and again a gem of a program appears. Looking back i always made an effort to tune into a good comedy series that seems to appeal to me and not others, more recently The IT crowd and Black books, the Fast show Harry Enfield etc. All these programs had a very good comedy writer by the name of Graham Linehan.
If you get a chance try to watch it. Count Arthur Strong. Monday evenings, i expect you can watch it again on iplayer.
Very annoying person but very very funny.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Very rarely to i ever watch anything on TV these days. But now and again a gem of a program appears. Looking back i always made an effort to tune into a good comedy series that seems to appeal to me and not others, more recently The IT crowd and Black books, the Fast show Harry Enfield etc. All these programs had a very good comedy writer by the name of Graham Linehan.
If you get a chance try to watch it. Count Arthur Strong. Monday evenings, i expect you can watch it again on iplayer.
Excellent show, but even better on the radio! The same um, lollipop man, doh traffic warden, um mercenary dargh dictator um DIRECTOR! (?) as Father Ted I believe.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks, it's never appealed from the radio program listings, but I must try Count Arthur Strong then.

Trouble is that comedy is so very personal and variable in appeal. From your list I loved The IT Crowd and Black Books, but couldn't stand The Fast Show or Harry Enfield.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Thanks, it's never appealed from the radio program listings, but I must try Count Arthur Strong then.

Trouble is that comedy is so very personal and variable in appeal. From your list I loved The IT Crowd and Black Books, but couldn't stand The Fast Show or Harry Enfield.
I agree with flecc, I only hope the TV version improves to the radio standard.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Enjoy the radio version but the TV show was destroyed for me by the canned laughter, always an abomination.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Thanks for the tip, always on the look out for something worth watching, programmed the Humax to record the series next episode 15/7 BBC2 2030-2100

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I think that there were quite a few complaints from the R4 listeners about his radio show. I can understand it completely. If you listen to what is a usually painful/frustrating experience for all involved with the Count Strong storyline there is obviously a comedy value to be enjoyed.....if thats what you find funny, many people don't.
Its the same with the Fast Show i guess. My wife and daughter hated it.
I was afraid the TV show wasn't going to work. Having watched the first one , i have no doubt the rest will be very good. That is why i give credit to the writer Graham Linehan who's involvement with Steve Delaneys character (the Count)will be sure to make it work.

BTW the show was recorded in front of a live audience. I also went to see him at a small theatre in Bridport a few years ago and i can assure you, he didn't need 'canned laughter'.

If the Brits are good at anything anymore? then surely comedy has to number one on the list.
I found myself sniggering today at many of the jokes in last nights show. It helped with a boring day at work:)

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Episode three, I have started laughing now.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Third program was very funny. It's a slightly re-written episode from his radio show. I thought the second one didn't work for TV, the 'jack the ripper tours' got really silly and the Martin character is getting too much 'airtime' imho.
Stick with it, i'm looking forward to the next one.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Not getting much better is it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I used to love the radio show, but somehow the tv show doesn't quite do it except in some small bits..

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Big fan of the radio show but the TV version doesn't come anywhere close.
Now if you like radio comedy, have a look at 4extra online or DAB radio, it plays all the old radio 4 shows including the count:cool:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Having just watched Badults, Aurther Strong is brilliant.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Episode 5, Doctor Two.
Brilliant!!! The Count at his best. How can you say this doesn't work for TV? Seeing Arthur trying to get a coin from his pocket for a coffee and the shock of discovering the machine was gone really had me laughing. I do find the Micheal characters whining voice a bit tedious though. And how sad...no more Katja the little princess.......
Maybe my sense of humour is on a different wavelength.........i'm quite happy with that.
Looking forward to the next one. For me it's the only thing worth watching on TV.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Is it me, but I find it much better the second time around.

Advertisers