Crank Drive

RoadEman

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 10, 2017
Scotland
Just wondering if anyone knows how many miles I am looking to ride before having to renew my drivetrain as I am reading a lot of reports saying crank/mid drive motors place a lot of strain on the drivetrain. I understand there are so many variables but just a rough idea, am I looking at 1000 miles or less, hopefully more.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just wondering if anyone knows how many miles I am looking to ride before having to renew my drivetrain as I am reading a lot of reports saying crank/mid drive motors place a lot of strain on the drivetrain. I understand there are so many variables but just a rough idea, am I looking at 1000 miles or less, hopefully more.
... I have done 820 km on my Motus and all the drive components look as good as new , I have chains on other bikes .. non electric, unchanged in decades. Don't sweat it.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I
I managed over 8000 miles although that was with a Rohloff.
My other derailier bike is approaching 4000 but I did replace a faulty chain after a couple of hundred.
Worry not.

RoadEman

May 10, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for that info guys, I did think I was possibly worrying unduly. Still, it would give me a chance to use my new stand. I'm well used to road bike gear systems so know how to change smoothly, but my last bike had Di2 so that was as slick a change as you could get. Got to say I'm well impressed with the bike and I feel that using the gears as normal must go a fair way to maximising battery life.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I lubed my chain the other day, after 1600+ km...:)

Reactions: RoadEman

RoadEman

May 10, 2017
Scotland
That's good to know AK. I always believe in keeping the chain well lubed too as it gives the drive train the best chance.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I lubed my chain the other day, after 1600+ km...:)
I find the whole chain cleaning / lubing thing just down to common sense really.
How mucky it gets will be down to how sticky it is with lube and what conditions you ride in as to how much rubbish it collects and converts to a grinding paste.
I will clean mine off with de-greaser, generously re-lube and wipe most off, then in dry weather on non-dusty scenarios the status quo could be maintained for several hundred miles.
On the other hand with a too oily chain and a very dusty dry trail ride I'd need to do the whole exercise after the one ride.
Just eyeball the chain regularly and deal with it as needed. :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I just ignor mine, then it goes on and on.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers