Cycling hostility and decline

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Last week a Tour of Britain stage was in our town in North Devon. Massive turnout to see it. Local news headline asked if this made us feel like taking up cycling as they stated there appears to be a national decline in cycling. The hostility comments towards cyclists on the news thread was dreadful. It’s no wonder people are giving up cycling. Do you get the feeling in your area?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Maybe it’s a North Devon thing. Almost every ride out i get a motorist mouthing something out the window. What they shout out i reallly don’t know as i can’t hear it above the wind. It’s just a hostility thing. I am doing nothing wrong whatsoever. This is the reason my Big Bear has done just 570 miles in two years. I do sometimes feel like putting it to Ebay auction and buying an electric moped / motorbike to keep up with the flow of traffic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last week a Tour of Britain stage was in our town in North Devon. Massive turnout to see it. Local news headline asked if this made us feel like taking up cycling as they stated there appears to be a national decline in cycling. The hostility comments towards cyclists on the news thread was dreadful. It’s no wonder people are giving up cycling. Do you get the feeling in your area?
It must be localised since UK cycling has been at a new high with sales of new bikes per year in this decade rising from 2 millions to over 3 million with a peak at 3.93 millions. Compares with car sales at around 2.2 millions. Bike sales did drop a bit last year to circa 2.5 million though, but that's well above the pre 2000 average.

E bike sales have risen sharply too in recent years, from around 20,000 to as many as 50,000.

I think driver hostility is largely due to bikes holding them up at times, and I imagine that in many North Devon roads that's likely to be frequently.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No sign of decline anywhere near me in Brighton and surrounding area. Absolutely the opposite with Ebike really picking up in last 5 years. I never used to see another .....now I see them everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and Fingers

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Maybe it’s a North Devon thing. Almost every ride out i get a motorist mouthing something out the window. What they shout out i reallly don’t know as i can’t hear it above the wind. It’s just a hostility thing. I am doing nothing wrong whatsoever. This is the reason my Big Bear has done just 570 miles in two years. I do sometimes feel like putting it to Ebay auction and buying an electric moped / motorbike to keep up with the flow of traffic.
Just stick em the finger an tell um to go have sex with a close relative(of theirs).

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Not sure whether it's increasing or not but quite a few drivers do seem to deliberately make life difficult for cyclists; blocking cycle lanes and marked areas at traffic lights and closing gaps generally

• Agree
Reactions: Marwood Hill

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The Tenby Iron Man competition was last weekend. One participant I know well was ecstatic at the way the spectators turned out and supported them. I get the feeling he felt it better than the TdF (not that he was ever in that!)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
The Tenby Iron Man competition was last weekend. One participant I know well was ecstatic at the way the spectators turned out and supported them. I get the feeling he felt it better than the TdF (not that he was ever in that!)
Tenby iron man lol
Most of South Pembrokeshire was closed and Tenby gets the glory again :(

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Was in Swansea over the weekend, and there were lots of cycling on the prom area,.. all types from real lycra types to b leisure and commuters. Feeling the breeze on the front, it seems to me that electrical assistance would be very helpful.. don't think I saw an ebike.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Another North Devonian here. I must have cycled many thousands of miles over the last 6 or 7 years and very rarely encountered hostility, although it does occasionally happen. The biggest concern is all the tractors, and increasingly delivery vans speeding down the single track roads that predominate.

• Agree

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
That's just not true. Drive out into the countryside and it's swarming with mamils. Drive into the city and there's commuters and others on bikes everywhere. Wherever the stats come from, they must be flawed or misstated. Cycling, of all flavours, is on the rise here...

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
We also are the holders of the three Grand Tours as well.

We rule at cycling on the track, road and commute.

Reactions: Nefarious

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's just not true. Drive out into the countryside and it's swarming with mamils. Drive into the city and there's commuters and others on bikes everywhere. Wherever the stats come from, they must be flawed or misstated. Cycling, of all flavours, is on the rise here...
No, it is true. Don't forget you don't know how long they've owned those bikes and the effect of this year's fine weather bring them out.

Sales had long been at 2 millions a year but have been rising in recent years and peaked at 3.93 millions, but from that they've been falling. In 2017 they were down to some 2.5 millions and current sales are down again this year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We rule at cycling on the track, road and commute.
Bunkum

UK's fairly regular cycling overall is some 3% of the population, even in London with the largest increase it's around 4%.

Several European countries greatly exceed that in daily or near daily cycling alone, in The Netherlands it's 70% of the population, in Denmark 26%, in Germany 9% as examples.

We very recently rule in competition, but over time have a poor record even in that. It was 109 years before we won a Tour de France for the first time.

• Useful
Reactions: Fingers

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Bunkum

UK's fairly regular cycling overall is some 3% of the population, even in London with the largest increase it's around 4%.

Several European countries greatly exceed that in daily or near daily cycling alone, in The Netherlands it's 70% of the population, in Denmark 26%, in Germany 9% as examples.

We very recently rule in competition, but over time have a poor record even in that. It was 109 years before we won a Tour de France for the first time.

Well arn't you a ray of sunshine?

There was nothing in my statement that needed correcting. But well done.

Have a useful. Tool.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: flecc

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
No, it is true. Don't forget you don't know how long they've owned those bikes and the effect of this year's fine weather bring them out.

Sales had long been at 2 millions a year but have been rising in recent years and peaked at 3.93 millions, but from that they've been falling. In 2017 they were down to some 2.5 millions and current sales are down again this year.
Bike sales being down and there being a 'national decline in cycling' are two different things.

• Agree
Reactions: 4bound and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bike sales being down and there being a 'national decline in cycling' are two different things.
Whilst this can be true, I don't believe such large reductions in sales during some of the best weather we've had in many years indicates anything other than a fall, especially in newcomers to cycling.

Such statements must be time qualified though, the 2.5 million sold is well down on the last two years but well above the previous consistent 2 millions a year over several years.

So recent national decline is probably right, but overall national decline wrong.

Advertisers