Cyclists Nutrition

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Yes, but you might have felt ill because of something you ate, or a virus or anything else. I've done 84 miles in a day with nothing to eat during the journey, and just a cup of tea to drink half way. My knees were hurting a bit when I got home, but I don't think there's much you can take for that.
There were other rides as well which I have felt unwell on warm days just with water. For me the sis tablets are definitely beneficial. I really wouldn't waste my money if they weren't.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Or as the well known quote from a famous French Tour rider of the twenties had it: “You cannot ride the Tour on mineral water alone.”

He meant something different of course.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366
D

Deleted member 4366

There were other rides as well which I have felt unwell on warm days just with water. For me the sis tablets are definitely beneficial. I really wouldn't waste my money if they weren't.
The trouble is that you've got withdrawal symptoms now. You should never have started.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
What's all this electrolyte replacement? We never did that when I was a kid, neither did Beryl Burton, who held the world distance record for 20 years. It's like all the kids at school walking round with their drinks bottles worried about getting dehidrated, but still they can't learn anything. I can't ever remember drinking at school other than the 1/3 pint of milk at break in primary school. They used to put water out at lunchtime (and Duralex glasses), but we only used it to wash away the taste of the horible food. I don't think the word "dehydration" existed then.
Pay, in ma day we had nought but handful of gravel for tea

Brakes? Used to use our bare feet, shredded to buggery they were

Suspension ? That were a dream- we was 6 to a bike and just hoped you were last one to hit the ground. That were our suspension

Electric bikes? A good jolt of static from. our draylon shorts were as close as we could dream of

Kids these days don't know they're born

(Apologies Monty python)

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
The trouble is that you've got withdrawal symptoms now. You should never have started.
From the cycling I take it ! strange that you spend years with no interest and now with every bike that passes you turn your head to see what it is....and you spend a fortune on the best lights, cameras etc that you can afford. I think I could have retired by now of I hadn't have got into cycling

Reactions: mike killay

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hey d8veh. When you say liquorice all sorts, are you referring to any one in particular? There is obviously a mixture from very sugar coated ones to just basic liquorice sweets in there (I love them very much by the way!).

I make these

http://www.nourishtheroots.com/2013/02/raw-superfood-and-seed-energy-bars.html

quite regularly although I have adjusted her recipe a bit now. I almost always have some wrapped up in greaseproof paper in my jacket pocket as well as more drink that I would normally drink. No refined sugars and a great slow release bunch of hyper healthy ingredients.

Has anyone ever tried the Panda liquorice bars? I'm wondering if this may be more the type of thing she handed that rider as she passed rather than a round pink wheel with a tiny little bit of liquorice in the middle ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

In the '60s, there were probably only Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts; however, even they seem to have changed over time. I guess they all have similar liquorice in, so go for the ones that taste the best. You get a big packet for £1 in the Poundshop. Yum yum!

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
In the '60s, there were probably only Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts; however, even they seem to have changed over time. I guess they all have similar liquorice in, so go for the ones that taste the best. You get a big packet for £1 in the Poundshop. Yum yum!
Yeah. I'm kind of thinking about heading out soon for some. Luckily my GF doesn't like them much.. :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My girlfriend thought I was being so generous by shaking the coconut ones to the top, whereas I dislike them intensely.
Rather like Jerremy Clarkson.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the '60s, there were probably only Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts;
Then hard on their heels came Wilkinsons to compete. I seem to remember it was Wilkinsons who first introduced the packets of one individual type of allsort to add to their allsort sales.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I always use energy drinks on long rides.
Guinness is good for you as the ads used to say.

Reactions: Nealh

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Iv always found bananas to be a great form of nutrition while out on the bike:D
Same as that. The downside is that they usually end up going to black mush.

After seeing another lad with some, I've also now taken to carrying a packet of raisins.

I've tried the energy drinks when taking part in the Wiggle rides, but they just make me want to puke up.
Instead I just pile into the bananas, flapjack, fig rolls, and jelly beans that they provide. Not because I need them, but I'm damned if I'm passing up free grub, or grub that has been accounted for in the entry cost. :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Pintxo (apparently the plural does not take an "s") and vino del año for me any day!

I did experiment with energy food when I did a few days walking on the Way of Saint James a while back. Bread and water only during the day with a dash of fresh orange juice and a pinch of salt in the water. Fruit energy bars in case of energy drop. Full three course "pilgrim" meal in the evening with lots of red wine. Oh I was walking a marathon a day... Nettles killed the attempt after 6 days out of 14 on the program (237 odd kilometres done).

And as soon as you stop intensive effort bingo: hyperglycemia. It took me a couple of weeks to get blood sugar back to normal as I could no longer walk on the left leg...

Tony

Advertisers