Diagnosing a fault - motor or controller?

D

Deleted member 4366

The wire is part of the motor, so the only spare part you can get from Oxygen is the complete motor and wheel, which will be expensive.

You can get the cable from BMSBattery, but you'll have to open the motor to attach it, which might not be easy depending which one you've got.

Assuming that one of the wires is broken inside the insulation where it enters the axle, you have a few options:

1. Buy a bare motor and lace it into the wheel - about £100
2. Try a sensorless controller like the S06PW from BMSBattery - about £50 including LCD and speed sensor. It's more likely a hall wire broken because they're thinner. Phase wires are quite strong.
3. Open the motor to see if it can easily be fixed. You need a free-wheel removal tool, and then you need to make something to turn the side-plate. I got one open by inserting an inverted cap screw into one of the dimples, and then tapped it round with a hammer and screwdriver. Once you get the motor open, you can test to see which wire has the fault. The cables that Shemozzle has are suitable, but it's quite fiddly to solder them on to the motor windings.
4. Replace the whole motor and wheel with a different one. The fitting of all wheels is standard, so you can choose any 250w one you want.

D

Deleted member 4366

pteron

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2014
Thanks, cable is on the way courtesy of shemozzle999 so I'll have a go.

Advertisers