Dismantling throttle

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I have a Wuxing S29X-DX half-width throttle that looks similar to the one in the image.

I have glimpsed an unconnected yellow wire inside it, which is presumably non-essential as it works. However there is an intermittent fault so I suspect that there is another loose or broken wire inside. It would be easy enough to fix if I could get the thing apart! Undoing the obvious screws is not enough, it looks as though the half-throttle which is attached to the main body needs removing. That appears to rotate over an inner sleeve which has tabs which run in a groove in the outer, but I'm not getting anywhere with trying to push them out of the groove.
If you have seen one of these and even better taken one apart I would appreciate some tips.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are three barbs on the inside that you'll see if you look in from the wnd of the handlebar end. You need to lift those three barbs while pulling it apart. It's really tricky. You need three really thin blades. Something like you get in feeler gauges is ideal.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
There are three barbs on the inside...
It's split in half with 2 tabs (barbs) on each. Feeler gauges (thickish ones) would be a good idea, although I don't want to break mine. At least you have confirmed what I thought about how to disassemble it, so I'll look for something suitable. I can foresee them all going flying when I pull on the tube...

I have been using pieces of thin plastic which doesn't really work, I'll look for some thicker plastic.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Technically, you don't need the barbs because the end with LEDs clamps to the handlebars. The twisting part is held in place by the washer and half-grip, so once on the bars, it can't come apart even if all three barbs are broken,

I've opened them several times by brute force. You can lever the two halves apart with a screwdriver, which breaks the tips of the barbs off, but leaves enough for them to clip back in. That makes it easier to get apart next time, if you have to.

there should be a thin plastic washer between the grip and the end of the throttle. It's not shown in your photo.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
Mine is slightly different to yours, as mentioned above, also I've not got a half-grip and as you mention, there is no washer at the end of the throttle away from the LEDs. I am a bit reluctant to use brute force, because if the tabs were much shortened they wouldn't retain the throttle sleeve so securely. If the throttle came away I would lose hold of the right hand handlebar. That is presumably why they are made difficult to detach.
I'll have a look for some thin but strong material.

Last edited:

Advertisers