Do I re cell my battery ?

Baldfella

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2017
Rotherham
Hi, I have a freego eagle bike that’s two and a half yes old. It has a 36v 10ah battery. The battery is showing as being fully charged but loses power as soon as I start to use it. I’ve been advised by freego that some of the cells have gone and I need a new battery. Do I buy a new battery or try to get it re celled? I live in South Yorkshire if anyone knows a place I can take it. I’ve googled and rang around but not had any joy. Any ideas ??

Baldfella

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2017
Rotherham
Jimmy at Insat gets recommended alot on this forum to re-cell your battery.
http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/
Thanks, I spoke to him earlier today, he was very knowledgable and helpful. Quoted £240 to re cell the battery but with better batteries that should have 3000 cycles. If I heard him right he was on about Boston batteries which I’ve not heard of?? Does that sound right?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He does indeed use Boston Swing cells they are 13a rated 5300 mah cell, size wise they are equivalent to two 2650 mah 18650 cells put together. Mah wise if you are after more capacity then either LG MJ1 3500mah or Sanyo GA 3450mah cells will give you a lot more capacity. A pair of each would give 6900/7000mah compared to the Boston 5300mah. Price wise the longevity of the Boston's may swing :oops: (pun intended) it for you.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers