Do you cycle your ebike in the rain?

Do you cycle your ebike in the rain?

• Total voters

0omo0

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2016
Sanderstead Surrey
When i searched for the ebike i wanted i asked the manufacturer "can i use the bike in all weather" they said yes. Not a problem. Then today we had some rain, so i thought it would be fine. I cycled carefully avoiding all puddles but after 0.6 of a mile my bike died. As you can guess I'm not a happy bunny. But i thought i would see what other people do with there bikes. Are you just fair weather riders? Or can your bike take on anything?

Reactions: mountainsport

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I don't ride in the wet but have been caught out many times.

A thunder storm with rain like stair rods had me so wet I could hardly get my clothes off (back home of course).

Bike never had a problem apart from rust on the chain the next day.

So full marks for the Delite, none for the weathermen.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have the good fortune to be a leisure cyclist, however I do get caught in the rain. My bike has an led display, not LCD, and I've sealed the joint with self amalgamating tape. Battery is rear rack type so is in my 'rain shadow' along with the controller box. I've made sure the cable entry to the front hub faces downwards. So far, no problems, although I was finding that the thought of, 'it might rain', was stopping me going out. So I bought a cape - hey presto - all controls safe and dry.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
That is a No for me, because I will not go to sleep until it has been dried thoroughly, cleaned and then finally polished. That's why beforehand whenever I plan to head out I always check three to four separate weather forecast websites.

MS.

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
My bikes main use is commuting so ridden in all weathers. I travel through a park so splashes through big muddy puddles & no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

0omo0

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2016
Sanderstead Surrey
My bikes main use is commuting so ridden in all weathers. I travel through a park so splashes through big muddy puddles & no problems.
That is why I bought my bike. the idea was that even though it was an expensive bike, using it daily it would pay for itself as I could save money compared with public transport. I guess maybe i expected too much when it came to going home in the rain.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That is why I bought my bike. the idea was that even though it was an expensive bike, using it daily it would pay for itself as I could save money compared with public transport. I guess maybe i expected too much when it came to going home in the rain.
What bike do you have?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
When i searched for the ebike i wanted i asked the manufacturer "can i use the bike in all weather" they said yes. Not a problem. Then today we had some rain, so i thought it would be fine. I cycled carefully avoiding all puddles but after 0.6 of a mile my bike died. As you can guess I'm not a happy bunny. But i thought i would see what other people do with there bikes. Are you just fair weather riders? Or can your bike take on anything?
I used my UrbanMover um20 in any weather ... Except ice for a number of years. There were no weather related problems. This was when I was a wage slave, now I am retired I would pick my times , not that I am expecting the rain to cause a problem, but just comfort

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I am a leisure cyclist and can pick and choose when i go out. I choose not to go out in the rain, but if an ebike didnt work in the rain, then the sellers would have to tell its customers this otherwise i can see very few ebikes being sold. I dont think there is any reason why an ebile wouldnt work in the rain, and i am confident enough that my bike would continue to work even if it was to rain.

• Agree
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
This thread sounds a bit like the old joke that you shouldn't take your carbon bike out in the rain because it will melt if you do.:)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
This thread sounds a bit like the old joke that you shouldn't take your carbon bike out in the rain because it will melt if you do.:)
I left my carbon bike out in the rain, in the morning it was gone...

Advertisers