Do you do your own car servicing?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
For those of you still traveling around in those wallet emptying machines called a car, and do your own servicing, then this might interest you.
Euro Car Parts have a deal at the moment on selected oils.
I personally have always used the Castrol Magnatec in my Nissan. It's turbocharged, so requires good quality stuff on a regular basis. It's essential that turbo bearings receive a supply of high quality, clean oil.
Done 100,000 miles and engine's still running like new. Bugger, jinxed it now :eek:
I actually use it on my bike chain too, but maybe that's just me being a cheap git.
The Magnatec oil is 30 quid at Halfrauds, but only £18.99 with free delivery at this place.

Before I start sounding like an advert for an oil company, I'll leave you with the link ;)

Euro Car Parts oil cheaper than Halfrauds

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Eurocarparts really have a feked up system - it won't let me simply look at various oils unless I enter a fictitious vehicle. What a pile of crap.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I did always wonder what the other part of halfrauds was for, had always considered it all to be "big ting sub wooftas" and "pimpin spoilers" for 2nd hand corsas and anything gti.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Eurocarparts really have a feked up system - it won't let me simply look at various oils unless I enter a fictitious vehicle. What a pile of crap.
Just out of interest, why would you want to buy oil if you don't have a vehicle to put it in? :rolleyes:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Just out of interest, why would you want to buy oil if you don't have a vehicle to put it in? :rolleyes:
Some shops will use any info you give them to find your contact details and spam the hell out of you until you buy from them. I was browsing for the hell of it before and put my email into an american motorcycle helmet shop and now get weekly emails that I can't stop them sending.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Some shops will use any info you give them to find your contact details and spam the hell out of you until you buy from them. I was browsing for the hell of it before and put my email into an american motorcycle helmet shop and now get weekly emails that I can't stop them sending.
Don't think they can get much info from a vehicle registration number, which is all Euro Car Parts ask for.
It's more to tailor the shopper's experience, so that they are not scrolling through tons of items to get to what they are looking for.

Anyway, the reason for this thread was to spread the word about cheaper high quality oils.
Personally, I'd trade a slightly quirky shopping experience for money saving any day ;)

Last edited:

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Fordulike, that is not being cheap This is when it is rape seed harvest i get a bucket load from the farmer free, i then blitz it in an old blender strain the oil through old tights, its great chainsaw bar oil, :D

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Halfords had semi-synthetic on sale a while ago for something like £10 a 5ltr. Synthetic wasn't much dearer. Good stuff by all accounts.
Halfords may be a bit 'innit m8' but they do, sometimes, have some good deals.

With Eurocarparts, if you're looking for oil just click on oil and search by grade. No need for a car model. GSF have some good deals too..

Last time I got my old Rav4 serviced I just took it to F1 Autocentres. Full service, massive checklist and notes properly filled in for something like £110. Pretty good to be honest.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Fordulike, that is not being cheap This is when it is rape seed harvest i get a bucket load from the farmer free, i then blitz it in an old blender strain the oil through old tights, its great chainsaw bar oil, :D
One time, I did use old chip fat from my local chippy in the fuel tank, but the smell made me so hungry, I had to stop off at every burger van on trips.
Needless to say, it didn't save me any money :p

Reactions: Gubbins and john h

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
There's a Halfords near me, but the local Motor Factor can often beat the snot out of them.
With Eurocarparts, if you're looking for oil just click on oil and search by grade. No need for a car model. GSF have some good deals too..
I later discovered that, by going back and not bothering with the car make a whelk of choice opened up.
Get lured into the car model route and it's a hell you don't want to be stuck in.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
One time, I did use old chip fat from my local chippy in the fuel tank, but the smell made me so hungry, I had to stop off at every burger van on trips.
Needless to say, it didn't save me any money :p
Back in the 60's someone told me to try a gallon of paraffin in with a tank full of petrol.... It did run, sort of, and made more smoke than Fred Dibner

Advertisers