Dolphin 48v 11.6Ah charging time ?

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Evening all, I bit the bullet and got myself a BBSHD kit, along with a Dolphin 48v, 11.6Ah battery, but there wasn't enough in it to test the motor/controller, so it needs a charge, but with it being late in the day, I have enough time to get a full charge into it, as I obviously don't want to leave it unattended overnight, or should I just leave it until the morning. The charger is the included 2A, so has anyone got a rough idea on how long it will take to fully charge ?

Also one more thing regarding the button and 5 blue LED's, whilst it is on charge will the LED's light in sequence as the battery is charging ? And is it normal when it's plugged in to be charged, the lights, flash on, then off again ? And when the charger is removed the button is for the battery level ? As when I press the button out of the box, and after an hour exactly I'm getting nothing, I thought at least one LED would light up even after just an hour ? Cheers guys.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Six hours should get it charged up. Then add some time for balancing.
From flat overnight in a safe place is about right.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
11.6/2 = 5.8 hours factor in a bit of loss say just over 6 hours from completely empty

Damit! D8ve beat me to it...:mad:

Reactions: D8ve

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Cheers guys, I was almost starting to panick, right up until the moment when I realised " there's a bloody on of rocker switch " what a complete numpty...It turned out to be fully charged, I'll give an hour or so before the first use, just to make sure the balance side is complete. Is there such a thing as a digital charger, I vape and fly multirotors, and have a IMax, and a XStar charger, and they both have displays so you can see where the battery is during the cycle ?

Does the included charger have a full cycle cut off ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The battery normaly has a battery management system (BMS) that deals with balancing and cut outs. Like your HK charger works with lipo.
But the power displays seem a bit basic and don't factor in load droop.

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
The problem with both the hobby and the vaping ( 18350, 18650, 26650 ) charger is once they finish the cycle, if left unattended, they start to ever so slowly drain the battery. Personally as a rule I never leave any battery on charge and not be there, never mind leaving it on overnight.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That won't happen with a BMS. You can leave your charger plugged in to balance the pack.

If you go to endless sphere you might find a charger nerd or two who watch each and every cell. You would need a charger that plugs into the balance leads of the BMS. Taking the shell off the Dolphin battery might become tedious.

New technology is a battery with Bluetooth which let's you see each cell.

Reactions: Paul Young

Advertisers