Dowsing for Water

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Whatever makes dowsing possible....describing it as "magic" can only obscure rather than enlighten in my opinion.
But there is precisely zero evidence it is possible (certainly no proper double blind tests)

Magic seems a good a description as any. Dowsing should be consigned to the scrap heap of homeopathy , crystal healing, chakra realigning and other such nonsense

Fools and their money .......
is my not especially humble view here

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Magic seems a good a description as any. Dowsing should be consigned to the scrap heap of homeopathy , crystal healing, chakra realigning and other such nonsense
That has always been my instinctive view too, but why are there so many instances of water being quickly found by dowsing?

Therefore I wonder if there is another element present that leads the dowser to move the "tools" in response. We know that many mammals can locate water by smell over very long distances, it being their only means of survival in some instances. So could it be that humans can have a latent ability from the past to smell water, without even realising that is what they are sensing when it provokes a twitch response?

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
But there is precisely zero evidence it is possible (certainly no proper double blind tests)

Fools and their money .......
is my not especially humble view here
Well.........having myself experienced a healer using dowsing to diagnose my injuries I have to disagree. After forbidding me to say a word he used a pendulum and correctly diagnosed injuries I had suffered in the Army thirty-odd years ago and without a word or question to me. I'm not a particularly naive person, trained as a Psychologist with a background in assessment so I'm familiar with the "scientific method" yet I have to report my own experience.
As for the "Fools and their money" comment.......when I asked about his fee he replied to pay what I thought right. Not exactly a money grubber I'd have thought.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have heard it said, that although a diviner seems to move around and then indicate a precise spot to dig, the precision of the spot is an illusion and you could just as well dig 10 yards away.
It is further alleged that the diviners are actually observing surface signs (vegetation, dips in the land, types of plants etc.)

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
I have heard it said, that although a diviner seems to move around and then indicate a precise spot to dig, the precision of the spot is an illusion and you could just as well dig 10 yards away.
It is further alleged that the diviners are actually observing surface signs (vegetation, dips in the land, types of plants etc.)
No....I don't believe that at all. There are places which teach Dowsing and they do say that anyone can do it though I've tried and failed miserably. That said my friend did attend one and was successful. He tells the story of visiting a friend who lived in a steep-sided Scottish Glen and couldn't get a good TV signal. When he arrived a technician was searching for a good signal with a signal strength meter but could only find one a good distance away which would have meant enormous cost. My friend used his dowsing tool (a small crystal pendulum and found a strong signal quite close to the house. Don't ask me how it works.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well,
the next time there is a high profile missing person case, it would be very persuasive if a dowser could instantly pinpoint where the body is.

BUT
They don't
I wonder why?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well,
the next time there is a high profile missing person case, it would be very persuasive if a dowser could instantly pinpoint where the body is.

BUT
They don't
I wonder why?
But surely Dowsing is how the Welsh border is found? That would account for how it's continuously changed ever since the Romans left. ;)

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

Advertisers