E-assisting a SWB Recumbent

Aushiker

Pedelecer

I have being doing a lot of research into the conversion of my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT recumbent to an electric assist recumbent. Well that was the plan till a spot of thinking on the chair in the "Office", my shed and I may now go with a conversion of my LoGo P-38. If I decide later I can easily switch over the kit to the Giro and spend the extra dollars to add a steel front fork and a Recuve seat if desired.

My primary use of the bike is a 42 km commute (each way) with around 250 metres of climb. During the summer the rise home is into a headwind which averages 20 to 30 km/h, gusting at times up to 50 km/h + most days.

I am able to setup a charging station at work.

My thinking is the following front hub build. I have gone through and pretty much discounted mid-drive and rear-hub options so back to a front wheel hub motor conversion.

I would value feedback on what I have proposed. Oh I am in Australia so we are legally limited to 250 w but happy to run at 350 w or there abouts. I am also a complete novice at the e-bike stuff so have tended to go with what I hope is pretty much a quality plug and play conversion.

This is a 20" front wheel build.

My proposed conversion is …

MAC 350W 14T Front Kit OR a MAC 500W 10T with a 9 fet controller
Thumb throttle
Pedal Assist Sensor that works with V3 Cycle Analysis speed sensor
TorqArm_V2 GRIN Front Torque Arm x 2
CAS-DPS V3 V3 Direct Plug-In Cycle Analyst with speedometer and accessory cables
HWBS Hidden Wire Brake Sensor
EMV3V 50V 14.35 Ah Samsung Battery Pack

Battery mounting is probably via a battery bag hanging off the left "pannier rack" on the LoGo P-38 or if I go with the Bacchetta via a rear rack.

Would value any input into the proposed build. Paul at EM3EV seems to favour the MAC 500W kit over the MAC 350W kit and does point out I can step it back with the Cycle Analyst if I so desire. I guess it gives me more flexibility if I find I need it dealing with the headwinds.

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Using the Cycle Analyst for a Pedal sensor doesn't really make sense. Why don't you get a controller that has a decent PAS system already?

Why don't you want a rear motor?

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Using the Cycle Analyst for a Pedal sensor doesn't really make sense. Why don't you get a controller that has a decent PAS system already?
I thought that the CA did a lot more than just PAS and no one has said it was a bad decision as yet or given any useful advice to the contrary. Happy to be informed ...

Why don't you want a rear motor?
Didn't find anything that wouldn't result in a degrading of the drive train. Not interested in going to back to 7 speed for example.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 4366

You can get a cassette motor, so you don't have to change anything with the gearing.

The CA has a lot of functions. It can read additional sensors and convert them to a throttle signal, If you go that route, you'll spend all your time adjusting parameters in the software to try and get it right. Ask on ES if anybody has it working properly, and could they give you all their settings That'll give you some idea how it works, let alone the cost of the CA and torque sensor.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I agree with d8veh, I like the idea of the cycle analyst but prefer the simplicity of PAS with several settings.
One thing to take into account is the eZee in OZ has a 2 year warranty on everything, and you are planning on pretty heavy constant use, the eZee and Mac are very closely related.

I am not stalking you, we just seem to frequent some of the same forums :)

Aushiker

Pedelecer
You can get a cassette motor, so you don't have to change anything with the gearing.
Crikey, more research .... :)

The CA has a lot of functions. It can read additional sensors and convert them to a throttle signal, If you go that route, you'll spend all your time adjusting parameters in the software to try and get it right. Ask on ES if anybody has it working properly, and could they give you all their settings That'll give you some idea how it works, let alone the cost of the CA and torque sensor.
mmm okay might rethink this option then and maybe save a few $.

Andrew

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I agree with d8veh, I like the idea of the cycle analyst but prefer the simplicity of PAS with several settings.
One thing to take into account is the eZee in OZ has a 2 year warranty on everything, and you are planning on pretty heavy constant use, the eZee and Mac are very closely related.
Looking at Gloworms they seem to only sell the one kit which I assume is a 250w kit with a 36v battery. Not much choice. Or am I missing something?

Andrew

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Looking at Gloworms they seem to only sell the one kit which I assume is a 250w kit with a 36v battery. Not much choice. Or am I missing something?

Andrew
Take the 250w rating with a grain of salt, it makes it legal so you are covered but the motor can draw 20 amps at 36 volts, the one I tried sat on 32 kph with negligible input from me and felt like there was a lot of torque in reserve, others can answer this but some Ezee controllers can be derestricted with a plug removed.

The Pas controller you have in the picture is a basic 3 setting one there are also LCD based ones with more options if needed.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's the minimum. There's loads of nice controllers now with LCD and 5 or seven levels of PAS. Another useful function they have is the ability to switch off the system from the display without additional wiring. The S12S from BMSBattery is a nice sine-wave controller. It'll go nicely with the Bafang CST to give plenty of power.

The Ezee kit is 250w in name and certification, but it has 33% more power than an average 250w kit.

When choosing a motor, you have to get the right rpm, which is easy with a MAC, but there's not so much choice with other motors. Sometimes, different suppliers have different speed versions, so you have to hunt around a it. Make sure that you know the rpm of the motor that you order.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Okay I just went through the offerings at BMSBattery and came up with this front drive setup. I could go rear if but this restricts me to a 26" build or a 700C build with my two bikes options being one of each. With the front I can easily swap between the two. Also I have a front rim on hand (assuming 36 spoke motor) but would need to get a rim for the rear (not a big expense).
  • Bafang BPM 328RPM Front Drive Motor
  • S12 S Sine Wave Controller
  • Basic thumb throlle
  • PAS Sensor with 12 magnets (I am assuming more magnets the better)
  • S-LCD1 Display
  • HWBS Hidden Wire Brake Sensor
  • Grin Torque Arms
  • Grin DC-6V10 DC Converter
  • EMV3V 50V 14.35 Ah Samsung Battery Pack
This comes in around AU$213 less than the EM3EV option but I need to build the wheel. Still that is will be under $100.

I don't think there is much difference in the weight of the motor either.

Better option than the EM3EV?

Andrew

Reactions: mountainsport
C

Cyclezee

Hi Andrew,

You can have a eZee kit with 20" 26" or 700c front or rear motor wheel configurations and up to 10 speed screw on freewheel on the rear if you have the space.

The system is bimodal, throttle and PAS with 5 power levels that can be overridden by the throttle at any time along a cruise control setting.

Wheels are already built and fitted with a Schwalbe MP tyre.

Please note we don't ship to Oz:( but I'm sure Gloworm could supply want you want with no import duty;)

C

Cyclezee

Thanks. I have looked at these at ebikes.ca and if it is the same they are too small for my planned battery purchase :(

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Yes they are the same and specifically for eZee batteries.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Best option so far is d8vh idea of a boot bag :)

Andrew
Yes I agree Andrew, d8vh will find you the best. If you have time please search through these sites:

Wildcat Gear
Zeevon Battersea
Bike-Bag.co.uk

Try these three site, they can customise to your needs.
Hope this info can help you.

MS.

Advertisers