Ebike 700c throttle.

Dorito

Just Joined
Jul 25, 2018
Hi, I've just bought an ebike 700c from argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8019378

It's obviously not the best bike in the world, but it's not terrible. I was wondering if it was possible to take the limiter off and fit a throttle?

I've uploaded a few pics if it helps.

Thanks

6B922ED3-087B-47EC-8D59-2902B8817EE7.jpeg
8C1CFC4B-E4D6-4DF1-A8C6-FEC290751F06.jpeg
DE46D5FF-C2BF-48F7-8BBC-071E83D7EC42.jpeg
A990A0C3-85EF-4E18-A6BE-5C1D6852B25A.jpeg

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It's hard tell exactly but are there any spare unused wires in the controller side ? Or any single wires connected in a loop ?

I can only see , power , phases , brake sensor and hall /led

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SImple answer to both is likely to be no.
Unless there is an unused 3 wire connector then fitting a throttle is nil.

Luishi's don't usually have a speed loop wire AFAIK and any extra speed if available will be via lcd display settings with the speed increments if it allows. Changing wheel size will give a bit more speed but odo and speed readout will be wrong so you would need a separate cheap bike computer.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
In the second image I think I see one not plugged in? If it has 3 wires that would be your throttle. If not it's still possible, just buy a new controller that takes a throttle, if you get the right one it will also allow speed increase. Try to get one with the same amp rating as higher amps could strain the battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On the label it says "Throttle adjustment voltage: 1.2v - 4.4v"

Does that imply that a throttle can be fitted?
Should have mentioned it in the first place !!!
If that is the case there should be a spare 3 wire connector for one.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Plenty of throttles cheap on ebay, buy a spare though some are flimsy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle's yes plenty options, op needs to confirm spare connector as I can't see at all from pics.

Savlona

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 30, 2020
I'm pondering the same modifications on the same bike - sorry to resurrect what may be a zombie thread, but did this succeed?

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
If your bike has the rack mounted battery then I don't think so without changing the controller as there is no mention of hrottle on it or spare connectors.SUNP0002.JPG

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
From the recent Throttle thread in the general forum, vfr400 posted this:
I can't think of any bike with a 4mph throttle that can't be changed by a simple user-setting to a full-range one.

The motor controller is the biggest obstacle to fitting a throttle. Most of the older ones have the connector, even if there's no throttle fitted, but more recent ones don't have the connector.

You can fit a throttle to any of those typical Chinese bikes. It's only a case of how much work you have to do. If you have a 4mph throttle, it's a simple setting. If you have no throttle, but the controller has the connector, it's plug and play. If you don't have the connector, you have to change the controller, in which case total cost would be about £25 for the cheapest rubbish one, £40 for a reasonable one and £70 for a really nice one that will be a big improvement to the bike.

All throttles work the same electrically with three wires for the throttle function. Some have additional features, like built in LCD, power or light switch, battery indicator LEDs, etc. You will see them with different lengths of wire and different connectors.

Another important factor is how they fit on the handlebars. Sometimes, shifters or brake levers get in the way. The easiest to use and most likely to install successfully are the plain basic thumb throttles. Don't get a full width throttle, like you have on a motorbike. they break too easy and are not very easy to modulate on a bicycle.
Is it possible to adapt the existing walk assist function to a throttle without changing controller/display?

For referance, this is the page from the manual for the controller Capture.PNG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
From the recent Throttle thread in the general forum, vfr400 posted this:

Is it possible to adapt the existing walk assist function to a throttle without changing controller/display?

For referance, this is the page from the manual for the controller View attachment 36307
No. You need an actual throttle plugged into the controller. if you have the connector on your controller, it should be just a matter of plugging one in.

Reactions: Mars

Advertisers