eclipse battery - light always on?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I recently bought a 48v 11.6ah battery from eclipse bikes. The first time i wired things up temporarily today to test and no matter whether the power button on the side of the battery is depressed or not the blue light stays on.

surely this is not right.....?

D

Deleted member 4366

The switch could be stuck on or the led wire could be wrongly soldered. There doesn'-t seem to be a standard way of wiring them. Some are off with the switch out and some are on. You can check by measuring the voltage on the output terminals. It should go right down when switched off.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
once i find my multimeter I will check. It used to go off, just doesn't now, so I'm hoping the switch has not died already, only pressed it less than 6 times!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
these batteries have a LVC switch (low voltage connect). It seems to be stuck because either the mechanical switch or the circuit the switch controls no longer functions. Time to contact Eclipse support.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I recently bought a 48v 11.6ah battery from eclipse bikes. The first time i wired things up temporarily today to test and no matter whether the power button on the side of the battery is depressed or not the blue light stays on.

surely this is not right.....?
Don't get on to Eclipse just yet. I have the same battery, and when it is connected to the controller, the blue light illuminates, whether the battery switch is on or off.
I think it does this, due to the capacitor(s) in the controller having a residual charge.

I would get the ole multimeter on the output of the battery, and test if you get 50+ volts with the battery switch on and close to zero with it switched off.

Another test, is to put the battery on the charger with the battery switch definitely off.
The blue light should be off in this state.

If you get these results, then I reckon the battery/switch is fine ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Good point. I didn't think about the controller's capacitor. It could keep that light on for quite a while.

Handbaked, if you leave it for a long time, say an hour, does it eventually go off. On all my batteries like that, it goes off within a few seconds. Some flash before going off, some don't. I guess different factories wire them differently. Anything is possible.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Havent found my multimeter yet (recently moved!) But to add the battery is not connected to anything at all and the light is still on and has been since i posted the first message. Eclipse seem dififcult to get hold of via their email on their site. Is that the only way to contact support?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Havent found my multimeter yet (recently moved!) But to add the battery is not connected to anything at all and the light is still on and has been since i posted the first message. Eclipse seem dififcult to get hold of via their email on their site. Is that the only way to contact support?
Does sound like a switch or BMS fault. Are you getting a positive click when pushing the button on and off?

Eclipse are notoriously difficult to get in touch with. Wait until Monday morning, they might not man their e-mail system over the weekend.

You could also try reaching them on this forum. They did appear a few months back for a few posts.

Here's their profile page:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/members/eclipsebikes.4936/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Just in case you don't know, the switch latches up or down. Do you see the permanent change of position when you press the switch, i.e. are you pressing it far enough?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh stock the same 48V 10AH batteries. The button is illuminated blue. Push in to turn on, button is depressed, button lights up. Push again, button comes back flush to case, Backlight goes off. You can check the voltage at the output port, should see 54V when switch is on. Can also check at the battery test button, it also gets turned on/off with the switch.

D

Deleted member 4366

As I said before, some switches are the other way round, being up when on, but whether up or down is on, always blue light when on.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I found my multimeter and when the switch is in both positions its backlight stays on and the reading across the battery terminals is 56v when on and off. So i guess its faulty! Eclipse responded saying its not a fault they had seen before. Fingers crossed the exchange for new goods is sorted quickly as my bike is close to being fully built now!

Advertisers