Education ePetition. It's important that you sign.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Oppose the supporters?

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
I had posted a link to an ePetition which was calls for the government to reverse the decision to fine parents £60 if they take their children out of school during term time for the purpose of a cheap holiday.

I thought that if enough people signed it, the government would look again at the proposal, decide that it was too lenient and increase the penalty to £1000 per child and 6 months in prison. Then I saw Cameron on the TV and realised that my plan would back-fire and decided to remove / delete the post. But I couldn't do that, so I deleted the text of the original message.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Wrong end of the stick entirely.
When things go wrong, the ones to pay the price should be the ones who are there to make things run properly.
Ie, if parents take their kids out of school and the kids' education suffers (subject to proof of this), the people who fail to make the rules work so that people want to abide by them (not by force, but by inclination) should be imprisoned or put in the stocks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Disagree, I'm with 50Hertz on this. It's impossible for any rule maker to construct rules so them all obey them. People vary in too many ways for that to be possible.

The irresponsible parents are the ones who should be penalised since their child's welfare and future largely depends on the parental upbringing. One measure of that irresponsibility is the common failure to ask or notify schools that their children will be absent on certain dates.

I've just come back from a walk in the countryside on this very sunny day and have passed several family groups with various school age kids in tow. The situation in the supermarket this morning was similar. The last school holiday in this area was 2 weeks ago, the next holiday only 5 weeks away.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Well, while I was waiting in the supermarket queue this afternoon, a five-year-old was swinging on the separation barriers between the lanes. There was quite a hollow thud as his head hit the floor, and I coudn't help thinking that would put him off parallel bars for life.
Just think, if he'd been in school, a valuable lesson would have been missed.
Fair play to him though; he didn't whinge much and seemed to get over it fairly quickly. The woman next to me didn't seem to see the funny side at all.

Advertisers