EU ICE ban postponed indefinetly.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The latest IPCC report completely scuppers Germany's argument against the EU date ban on new ICE cars.

The urgency of our worsening situation means ICE need to be withdrawn even more rapidly. The worse the situation gets, the sooner we will see increasingly severe compulsory scrappage measures for ICE cars.
Logically we should be continuing to use all the working ICE cars ,even if we don't build any new ones , until they disintegrate into rust and scale. The majority of the lifetime embodied energy and pollution is already spent on them.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Looks like Germans are getting their own way.
Not sure how they will differentiate between E Fuels and fossil Fuels and prevent latter from going in tank. (it will still be available for older cars??)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
What about the ones put off labour by the self righteous, pompous, loud mouthed, woke, insulting lefties. Summed up in post.??? The Rayners Etal.
Seems we live in a world that condemns every personal attack, slight or insult, unless of course its against Tory (or Brexit) voters. Its not helpful or pleasant Guerney.

• Disagree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What about the ones put off labour by the self righteous, pompous, loud mouthed, woke, insulting lefties. Summed up in post.??? The Rayners Etal.
Seems we live in a world that condemns every personal attack, slight or insult, unless of course its against Tory (or Brexit) voters. Its not helpful or pleasant Guerney.
Piglet missed out a group.

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not really. I look forward to buying a 4.6l v8 defender to enjoy in the tropical malarial swamps of Oxfordshire and Kent (while taking pot shots at brexit natives) in ten years or so
Those harsher measures against pollution that I've predicted are starting even earlier than I believed likely. And as I also predicted, not only against IC cars but against all vehicles.

The experimental 50 mph limits in more polluted stretches of the M4 and some A roads that the Welsh government introduced are now to be made permanent.

Not much fun in a 4.6 litre V8.

Trouble is these things are catching. I've watched over the last 60 years as every traffic control measure from traffic wardens through to smart motorways that we've introduced to cope with London traffic has spread to the rest of the country. So this one is likely to spread to the many other pollution hotspots on motorways and A roads.

Information Link

Last edited:
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Those harsher measures against pollution that I've predicted are starting even earlier than I believed likely. And as I also predicted, not only against IC cars but against all vehicles.

The experimental 50 mph limits in more polluted stretches of the M4 and some A roads that the Welsh government introduced are now to be made permanent.

Not much fun in a 4.6 litre V8.

Trouble is these things are catching. I've watched over the last 60 years as every traffic control measure from traffic wardens through to smart motorways that we've introduced to cope with London traffic has spread to the rest of the country. So this one is likely to spread to the many other pollution hotspots on motorways and A roads.

Information Link
Damn. Well at least the piglet's holding up his side of the bargain (there will be brexit natives to shoot at from the very gingerly hypermiling ev)

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

They've been teasing that for years, and they still need more money:

Those wheel covers are low and will get side bashed a lot in traffic, could do with LEDs behind as well as on the fronts, or flags lol, or a couple of these superglued either side :D

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I wonder if UK will follow?
Highly unlikely.

And I hope not since there's no such thing as climate-neutral fuels for IC engines. It's yet another scam like the climate neutrality of planting enough trees to compensate for CO2 produced. Capitalist greed over common sense.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Highly unlikely.

And I hope not since there's no such thing as climate-neutral fuels for IC engines. It's yet another scam like the climate neutrality of planting enough trees to compensate for CO2 produced. Capitalist greed over common sense.
For once we agree. I think if engineers go to trouble of removing CO2 from atmosphere, keep it stored, don't then go and release it again.
But, that's probably only concept worth chasing... Removing CO2 on an industrial scale, reasoning been there is abundance of natural energy in form of wind in South America. Wind turbines at many sites there can produce optimum around 300 days a year. (that's why Porsche has invested there)
Does seem a shame to then burn the stuff.
Seems rather like removing poison from a patient, then feeding it to them. Bonkers. But world has gone bonkers anyway.
What Porsche drivers spew into atmosphere is insignificant at side of what Putin is doing and has planned. Wonder how much CO2 missiles and shells produce.? His nuclear explosion will only be a small one? That won't kill many Polar bears.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Putin is doing and has planned. Wonder how much CO2 missiles and shells produce.?
The only thing Putin has planned is getting out without it appearing back home that he's lost.

He knows the USA and Britain failed in Korea, splitting the country into two and creating a nuclear armed hard line communist nation and a Russian ally.

He knows the USA ran away beaten in Vietnam.

He's seen how the USA turned Iraq into chaos and then departed and left the Iraqi and Kurdish army to clear up the mess.

He's seen how the USA and NATO stupidly took the terrorist side in Syria and ended up fighting both sides, both government and terrorists. How much more stupid than that can Russia's enemy be?

He's seen how the USA and NATO caused chaos in Afghanistan and then left the Taliban to just walk back into power.

So he knows all he has to do in Ukraine is hang on in there until the West gets tired enough and once again pulls out by having a cease fire and peace deal.

But just like all those other countries, only after many hundreds of thousands have been needlessly slaughtered to satisfy pride on both sides.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The only thing Putin has planned is getting out without it appearing back home that he's lost.

He knows the USA and Britain failed in Korea, splitting the country into two and creating a nuclear armed hard line communist nation and a Russian ally.

He knows the USA ran away beaten in Vietnam.

He's seen how the USA turned Iraq into chaos and then departed and left the Iraqi and Kurdish army to clear up the mess.

He's seen how the USA and NATO stupidly took the terrorist side in Syria and ended up fighting both sides, both government and terrorists. How much more stupid than that can Russia's enemy be?

He's seen how the USA and NATO caused chaos in Afghanistan and then left the Taliban to just walk back into power.

So he knows all he has to do in Ukraine is hang on in there until the West gets tired enough and once again pulls out by having a cease fire and peace deal.

But just like all those other countries, only after many hundreds of thousands have been needlessly slaughtered to satisfy pride on both sides.
We like to think World becomes a safer nicer place with passing time. A good look around place at moment and it looks as tho reverse is true. Seems utter fools are in charge everywhere.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We like to think World becomes a safer nicer place with passing time. A good look around place at moment and it looks as tho reverse is true. Seems utter fools are in charge everywhere.
It's the old story, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

There's the USA, militarily the most powerful nation in the world.

There's Russia with by far the largest land mass and natural resources of any nation.

There's China, economically the most powerful nation through having jointly the largest population of any nation.

There's India with the joint largest population and a growing economy, so able to sit on the fence being a friend to all sides while manufacturing arms for Russia to use in Ukraine.

There's Iran with the world's most effective religious branch for inspiring mass fanatical action, to the death when necessary.

So all their leaders see themselves as having absolute power, with the inevitable corrupting result.

• Agree

Advertisers