eZee Torq NiMH: How far can I go

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Now I have an NiMH battery, which I understand to be a little less powerful than my old Lithium battery, but hopefully will have a longer total lifetime. Assuming a flat route, with a de-restricted eZee Torq, limited pedaling, how long do you think the battery will last (approximately of course) before it goes flat?

I'm sure this must've been posted somewhere but I'm afraid I can't find it.

Thanks if you have an answer!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Aron. Using my Torq desrestricted there was virtually no difference between Li-ion and NiMh in my hilly territory, the Li-ion's failings under high load losing it's advantage. On both I was getting just about 15 miles.

At a guess, on fairly flat territory and derestricted I'd expect something like 17 miles NiMh and 20 miles new Li-ion. If restricted they do more, but I've never use them that way. From the extra others give on restricted bikes, on new batteries I'd guess maybe 26 miles NiMh and 30 miles Li-ion.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for the info flecc, that's further than I expected somehow. Do you have any idea on how much a Lithium charger charges an NiMH battery, and therefore how far I could go in that instance?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Aron,

How did you get a new NiMH battery? I thought they were not currently available.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the info flecc, that's further than I expected somehow. Do you have any idea on how much a Lithium charger charges an NiMH battery, and therefore how far I could go in that instance?
I don't really, but judging from the voltage it will hopefully reach about two thirds of a charge. So that should mean you could reach 17 miles on NiMh if the bike's restricted. Have you ordered an NiMh charger? If you've ordered one from Powerstream on USPS express, it could turn up about 10 days after order.

The NiMh is only 10% lower capacity than a li-ion, so the range difference shouldn't be more than that amount.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Aron,

How did you get a new NiMH battery? I thought they were not currently available.

Nick
I know Aron ordered some while ago, and every batch received is already sold.

Pre ordering is essential to get one.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks again flecc. I have an NiMH charger at home, but a Lithium at work, it sounds like they should cover me for the day.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Hi Aron,

Nick
Yeah, I order it quite a while back now and was lucky enough to be last on the list when the last shipment came in. It sounds like they're coming in in small quantities every now and then.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks again flecc. I have an NiMH charger at home, but a Lithium at work, it sounds like they should cover me for the day.
I remember that from previously now you've prompted my memory Aron. I'm fairly confident you'd be ok with the top up from the lithium charger at work.

In fact it's a good thing that won't charge it fully since it means you'll be well discharged at home end each evening, the way NiMh likes it.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I know Aron ordered some while ago, and every batch received is already sold.

Pre ordering is essential to get one.
I spoke to 50cycles about the NiMH batteries. They come in with the shipments in containers via sea. Only one battery came in with the last shipment and Aroncox seems to be the lucky recipient. There are no more coming in the next shipment due to arrive in a couple of weeks. 50 cycles are trying to source some from Europe but no guarantees. Best to put down a small deposit with them and hope for the best (2-3 months).

It seems that supply and demand have got out of kilter probably because the electric bike manufactures presumed a move over to lithium but us pesky consumers have other ideas - the sparse supplies of Nickel haven't helped either. The more we order them the more they will be supplied so things should even up eventurally.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Ok guys, thanks for the explanation.

Has anyone got an empty case, or a completely dead battery they could let me have? I think I will try building my own.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Problems in the USA with the li-ions have led to dealers there also offering NiMh again, which they'd once dropped. No doubt that hasn't helped matters.

The standard 9Ah eZee NiMh can be bought ex stock from Nycewheels in the USA currently at about £234 delivered in the UK, but there could be customs tariffs added to that.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Ok guys, thanks for the explanation.

Has anyone got an empty case, or a completely dead battery they could let me have? I think I will try building my own.

Nick
I sent my bike and three batteries to eZee Cycles today. They're going to give them all a good test, I'm assuming two of the batteries are dead, so you may want to mention this to 50Cycles and I'll be happy for you to arrange to get the cases from them from any dead batteries. Then you can build your own, I'm pretty sure it's not something I'll ever do!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I have a Torq with NiMH and though I haven't used Li the NiMH capacity is only around 10% less as flecc said, so range will not be much different, except that you can happily use the NiMH till empty & no cut-outs on hills either :D, so in that respect you can go further! :D

How far you can go depends a lot on your speed, pedal assist ratio and throttle use in high drain situations such as starts, gradients and headwinds.

Although when derestricted, at full throttle & pedalling gently I get only around 16 miles or so, I find I can often still get a good 25 miles or more when derestricted on 'gently undulating' terrain at 'intermediate' speed (say 17-18mph) with reasonably easy pedalling & careful throttle use :).

Stuart.

Advertisers