Fascism returns to Spain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I knew it would take a long time since the Belgians are strong on human rights. I hear the fleeing Catalonian leaders have finally appeared in court on the Spanish extradition request. Apparently it will be some days before there's a ruling.

Still, this is Belgium, maybe Tintin will come to the rescue.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In other news Corsica votes for autonomy. After years of violence.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I forecast in this post, it seems the Spanish have realised that Belgium was unlikely to co-operate over the Catalonia issue.

The Spanish have now withdrawn the extradition request, so the rebel Catalonian leader and his group can stay safely in Belgium or freely travel elsewhere.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The first day of the election campaign and the future parliament is split about 49/51 with independentists in the minority. Turnout predicted 92%!!!

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Oh dear. Now what is going to happen?

Perhaps one of those lines could be drawn under the issue?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What the numbers on the Guardian didn't show when I looked is that the 70 seats were won with 48% of the votes.

On Spanish (left wing) TV there was also quite a few people interviewed who voted for Catalan parties but who are against the declaration of independence.

So as you say tillson oh dear...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What the numbers on the Guardian didn't show when I looked is that the 70 seats were won with 48% of the votes.

On Spanish (left wing) TV there was also quite a few people interviewed who voted for Catalan parties but who are against the declaration of independence.

So as you say tillson oh dear...
In my opinion the way forward is clear. Those parties who wish greater autonomy from the central government, are free to use legal and democratic means of doing so. The central government were already prepared to discuss wider freedoms regarding taxation within the overall Constitution, as apparantly occurs in the Basque regions, so they should engage in those discussions, if they do not go sufficiently far enough, then they need to negotiate with other regions and create the conditions for an all spain referendum. There will always be purist zealots unprepared to compromise, but politics needs to be pragmatic and the vast majority would presumably be happy with more autonomy, but within a family of nations comprising the state of spain.

Advertisers