Fat bikes on beach

D

Deleted member 22539

Properly adjusted wheel bearings do not get hot.
Hot is probably the wrong description
But all bearings produce warmth
Anything that has friction produces heat of some degree that includes a well greased and adjusted bearing
The sea is a cold place as already said so any warmth in the bearing more than the temp of the water will cool the bearing and draw in water and eventually bugger it up .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Properly adjusted wheel bearings do not get hot.
No brakes and they weren't adjustable bearings, it used proprietary sealed ball bearings which should not get hot as you say. But despite being grease packed they did, the hubs always hot on arrival. It was a small wheeled trailer and I used to shift which may have had something to do with that.

That was the only period I towed one of my own and leaving it at the coast solved the problem since it had only a few metres to move to drop the boat in each time then.

The problem never cropped up with this larger wheel one I towed from London to Southampton for a friend a few times:
boat 10.jpg

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
No brakes and they weren't adjustable bearings, it used proprietary sealed ball bearings which should not get hot as you say. But despite being grease packed they did, the hubs always hot on arrival. It was a small wheeled trailer and I used to shift which may have had something to do with that.

That was the only period I towed one of my own and leaving it at the coast solved the problem since it had only a few metres to move to drop the boat in each time then.

The problem never cropped up with this larger wheel one I towed from London to Southampton for a friend a few times:
View attachment 24605
My boat trailer experience has only been with the common 8 inch type and at £34 for two complete hubs and bearings every three years is not a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers