Fazua motor settings?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I disrupted filming of a TV show or film set in a pub a few months ago - the crew had obviously spent ages setting up for exterior low-light night shooting, the director and cinematographer watched the camera's big external hi-spec monitor white out, as I flooded the scene with my bright lights... I turned around and did it again, and positioned the lasers closer second and third time past, then sped away from the enraged effing and blinding, and I've added an extra light since then. I can't stand filming when I'm not involved. I've never claimed to be a nice person, and I was curious about what ISO their very nice Arri camera was using, but the monitor kept whiting out when I got close enough to see the on-screen digits of the overlay. It was very frustrating. ISO 800 probably. I deleted that video, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
The bike shop is getting me a new saddle to try, a different stem with a tilted head and a handbar post extender

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use this wide cheapo saddle, it's quite comfy and has held up well with three years use. Cheap products like this tend to be rebadged.

Somewhat similar:

Similar and borderline insulting (sorry)

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Love the name!! If anything the lack of a big wide bum is the problem!!

When I was younger I had plenty of padding but menopause has moved it all from the back to the front - it's quite disconcerting, changed my centre of balance and makes clothes look odd!!

But padding is good! We will see what she finds me

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Well I can't ride it, it's so slow, it won't go up a tiny hill the pedals are underneath my seat, the handlebars are too high and the only seat small enough to enable me to reach the floor is so painful

I could cry

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Could you upload photos of your bike?

250W or 300W max isn't much - that's somewhere between level 3 (233W) and level 4 (376W) on my mid-drive bike. My level 4 provides just enough assistance to potter along on level roads, with me expending far too much effort for my liking, and it's useless for hills.

Even with every parameter maximised using the Fazua software (and why I suggested this in post #4), in my opinion, that bike is going to be useless to you, unless you avoid all hills and enjoy cycling slowly. That sort of lightweight, small batteried, low powered affair, is for fit and strong cyclists. But I'd prefer to be wrong.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk

Old beloved for too heavy bike; it was heavy when I got her but I am 7 years older, iller and weaker now

New pretty un-ridable new bike 2.5 miles home and I have pain everywhere

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Well I can't ride it, it's so slow, it won't go up a tiny hill the pedals are underneath my seat, the handlebars are too high and the only seat small enough to enable me to reach the floor is so painful

I could cry
Go into the settings and in one of the three things, say rocket, set everything to the maximum and try again.

Also, accept going a bit slower to begin with, certainly do not expect big beefy rear hub cadence sensor speeds, and make sure you are are spinning the pedals fast enough. Minimum 60 rpm, 70 is better.

Use the gears effectively to keep your effort constant when the gradient changes. It will not bail you out with extra oomph.

Apologies if you have already done all of this.

Don't cry too much, Fazua bikes may be a smallish niche but they have no real competition in it, so likely if it comes to it that there is a buyer out there.

You are right that it is not particularly powerful, but that's by design, their intent is to suit riders who have lost their top edge, but do not need assistance on the level unless a head wind. That's why they specifically combine zero resistance when not assisting, light weight, and a torquey motor that drives through the gears.

The ideal rider is a club rider who can't keep up on the hills anymore, but is otherwise fine in a group ride. Alternatively someone recovering from illness or lack of fitness who wants to do quite a lot of the work, quite a lot of the time.

They do not suit pannier laden touring, heavy shopping trips or riders who need a helping hand all the time.

Saddle, bars, stem ought to offer enough possible range to find a riding position if you can come to terms with the assistance level.

Your ideal bike may be either what you had before, or a top end mid drive with at least 70Nm torque, and the biggest battery you can get. That will get you all the help you need, as long as you almost never want to go above 25km/h.

Good luck!

Edit:

I forgot to mention the bit advantage other mid drive torque sensor bikes have: it is simple: in the highest level, they contribute 400% typically of the riders effort. Your Fazua is me ch, much lower. I would have to go back to the g dph, but I think not a lot more than 100%. So day and night.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I cycle at about 8-10 mph (slower up hills) with panniers and I was hoping for a trailer

I have no strength or stamina at all - CFS/ME Fibromyalgia, hypermobility, hip dysplasia, a duff knee, never mind the Menopause and gynae crap

I never had a top edge, I have a mobility tool!

I'll get it connected to the computer tomorrow and have a play

I need to get my old bikes battery re-celled as I don't think this is viable for me

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I cycle at about 8-10 mph (slower up hills) with panniers and I was hoping for a trailer

I have no strength or stamina at all - CFS/ME Fibromyalgia, hypermobility, hip dysplasia, a duff knee, never mind the Menopause and gynae crap

I need to get my old bikes battery re-celled as I don't think this is viable for me
Don't get the battery re-celled. It will be much cheaper to buy a replacement battery.

Where exactly do you live? Maybe someone here lives nearby. If you can get your old bike to Telford, I would sort it for you just how you want it.

I knew from the beginning that you wouldn't be happy with your new bike, which is why i tried to discourage you from importing it. I think your brother meant well, but he's build it like he would want it, not how you need it. Fazua system is low power for fit regular cyclists that want a little extra help. It's completely unsuitable for riders like us, and definitely no good for towing.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Play to learn, but it sounds exactly wrong for you, sadly. But your speed plus load carrying is perfect for a beefy rear hub if not too hilly, or high torque mid drive if it is.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For anyone with these health issues then any type mid drive motor is certainly nowhere the ideal type to use. A hub bike with five assist levels , cadence sensing and a throttle is the needed drive , one can then partly ghost pedal or use the throttle for power. A KT type of current control controller being better then the speed type controller.

I can't see why folks are persuing the mid drive option when in fact any advantage it may have is 100% stacked against you.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I was in Telford last year at the Victorian village - Blists Hill! I had my old bike with me!

I'm in Ipswich and I think a new battery is about £300, my last new battery didn't have the range of the first one

I have new groin pain, shoulder pain and hand pain this morning and my existing hip, knee and back pain is worse - I guess I was expecting some adjustments but this is a lot

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which level were you finding useless? Could you possibly show us your settings in the"Advanced" tab for "Breeze", "River" and "Rocket"?

At 1m 41s in the video, "Max power" in "Rocket" is set at 300W, as shown below. Personally, I'd try this, and increase the third slider "Ramp up" from "30%" if needed.

(Screengrab of settings as shown at 1m 41s)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Once you've written the changes and exported the file, find somewhere nice and quiet for a ride, and change mode to "Rocket" using the"Remote" (page 24 of the manual), then go rocketing around at 300W.

If it turns out you need more reactivity from your pedal pushes, increase the "Ramp up" slider from 30% to 40%, and if that isn't reactive enough - repeat 10% increases until it is.

https://fazua.com/documents/1194/EN_Benutzerhandbuch_FAZUA_RIDE_50.pdf

If your bike fails to provide enough assistance after making the above changes, you need a more powerful pedelec.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Still working out how to get my ride data from my phone

I'll rewatch the video later - I have to do lunch now as I have people round

But it did a little bunny hop every second left pedal which was disconcerting5624056241

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But it did a little bunny hop every second left pedal which was disconcerting
If you're saying your bike jumped forward every second left pedal push, when every second left pedal push is applied with the same force at the first left pedal push, that sounds to me like it could be a fault of some sort... in which case I'd avoid increasing "Ramp up".

Your new bike is a Fazuaaarrrggghhh, not a Fazuwow! There's such a difference in saddle height and riding position between your two bikes, and from what you've said about not being able to get the seat low enough for you to touch the ground, the frame is too big for you, as well as the motor being too low powered, and the battery too small. I really don't think this bike is going to be any good to you.

You really should take @saneagle up on his offer, and get that small wheeled old bike transformed into an epic trailer hauling hill climber, even if you have to drive your bike hundreds of miles to Telford. And disown your brother.

Last edited:

Advertisers