Fish type battery connector. What's it called?

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Looking for a second battery for the cyclomatic and found a bottle type which would be good.

The current battery is the fish type, rather than splicing wires I would like to get a connector for the bottle battery so when the original runs out I can slide it up and plug in the bottle battery.

Original battery can then just go down this connector.

Not sure if this is the best way.

What's the name of the female connector that would plug onto the bike?

Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

The normal battery will rattle and jump if you lift it up because you won't have the lock to hold it down.

A much better way is to cut the battery wires in the controller compartment, then extend them and bring them out of the compartment. Put the connector of your choice on them, female on the battery side so that there's nothing to short when not connected. Put the same female connector on the other battery, then you can swap batteries whenever you want by simply disconnecting one and connecting the other.

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheers D8veh.

I thought about the rattle and was trying to think of solutions with bungees and all sorts but better not to have that.

Wonder if you can get a waterproof mechanical switch. Run both batteries to the switch secured to the frame above the peddles and the a wire to the controller. Would need to protect these wires.
Having a look I wonder if the switch could be put on the left of the box the controller sits in. Drill a hole through that. Wonder if there is enough room with all the other wires.
That way you won't have connectors to change and have to secure.

Looking at the ebay battery, they have male 3 pin connectors. Know from my rc helicopter days that this isn't the right thing to do.

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Found a ip68s sealed on-off-on toggle switch 2 pole.
Not cheap at £22, may be cheaper else where.
Wonder if I could get this to fit inside.
16 amps @28vdc, running at 24v on the bike with shunt mod.

Thinking aloud so you can see if there's any flaws in the plan :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Most types of switches don't work well on e-bikes because the inrush inro the capacitor/s in the controller burns the contacts. You could make an electronic double switch based on two of these, using a three position switch to switch batteries. You only need two mosfets per battery if your controller is 15 amps or three for upto 22 amps. Post #3:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40142&f=3

Advertisers