Fitting (permanent) lights to a Giant Twist Express

gomes

Just Joined
Nov 21, 2017
UK
Hi folks,

I recently got a (2011-2013, can't really tell them apart) Giant Twist Express - the type with a front hub motor (Sanyo?). I am pretty happy with the bike, but I'm starting to miss having integrated lights. The battery powered lights I got are probably brighter than the dynamo ones I had in previous bikes, but it'd be nice to be able to just fit them and forget about them.

I know relatively little about ebikes, but after browsing the forums it seems clear there are two options spaces:

1. the controller has connectors (at full or stepped down voltage) for the lights and:
- it is just a matter of running cables and plugging (proprietary?) connectors in; or
- it would also require having those connectors activated in the controller (most likely in a bike shop).​

2. I would have to tap into the battery directly (at the battery terminal, at the connector with the controller or wherever else might be good) and include some sort of protection (fuse?).

These being the options (though if there is something I've missed I'd be glad if you could point it out), I should start by having a good lock at number one. It also seems to be in the realm of possibility, since some contemporary Giant bikes with the same motor are fitted with what appear to be (bike) battery powered lights. However, I have no idea which controller is in the bicycle and I cannot find any information on that anywhere. Does anyone know of any details / diagrams (or some sort of product identifier) of the controllers that came with these bikes?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jamie82

Advertisers