Focus Thron Impulse - Problem

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
Hello, only a few days ago I bought "Focus Thron Impulse" from 50cycles, but today after 10km journey something happened. When I turn it on the LCD display says calibrating like usual but then it displays what looks like "Er" - error I presume. Pedelec function does not work and it will not give any power, but everything else works fine, even the push assist works fine. I tried re fitting the battery many times, but the problem still exists. While I wait for 50cycles to get back to me with their tech guy I thought I might ask if anyone got a clue about the problem? This happened when I first got the bike before my first journey it would not calibrate properly, but after I sat on the bike it seemed to work fine. I did not ride on rainy/wet conditions. Since it's really hard to get to any cabling I cant check much myself. Took a picture of the LCD panel and underneath the bike, maybe someone can give me some advice. Thanks.View attachment 8748 View attachment 8749
The picture of the LCD you have shown is displaying tr for trip mileage.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
I should have actually said trip distance, as you have yours set on kms.
I too have recently bought a focus thron impulse.

Reactions: ogrion

ogrion

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2014
thanks, everything works now, thanks for letting me know what that means.
( feels silly now) :(

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
thanks, everything works now, thanks for letting me know what that means.
( feels silly now) :(
No problem, it took me a while to find out what does what on this bike. I have to say for a bike costing this much you would expect a proper manual. If there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.

ogrion

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2014
No problem, it took me a while to find out what does what on this bike. I have to say for a bike costing this much you would expect a proper manual. If there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks! I would also love if they would include a manual for the motor, but I guess they don't want you messing with it.
What about the LCD display, is it weather resistant enough? I'm afraid to ride during heavy rain and also I noticed you cant take it off.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
Thanks! I would also love if they would include a manual for the motor, but I guess they don't want you messing with it.
What about the LCD display, is it weather resistant enough? I'm afraid to ride during heavy rain and also I noticed you cant take it off.
I'm not sure how water resistant the display is, there is some information available at manuals.derby-cycle.com/manuals/focus/en_focus_2013_20140131_05.pdf
but I couldn't find anything about riding in heavy rain.
I personally would not be riding (intentionally) in a downpour but if you are worried about the display maybe you could improvise with some clear plastic and tape. Not pretty but I'm sure it would do the job.

Reactions: Croxden

Dominic Walker

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2015
I agree about a manual, you seem to have to work thing sour yourself. After a ride today, I found this cable sticking out and am not sure if it is meant to be attached to something or not ?

Attachments

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
I agree about a manual, you seem to have to work thing sour yourself. After a ride today, I found this cable sticking out and am not sure if it is meant to be attached to something or not ?
That looks highly suspicious to me Dominic.
I just had a look on my bike and can't see anything that looks like the wire on yours.
Check to see if all the functions are working.
Even if everything seems ok I think you should query it with the supplier.

Dominic Walker

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2015
Got to the bottom of this. Underneath the drive unit is a rubber seal which protects the compartment where the wires and connectors etc are housed. This does not actually fit that well and can open up when the bike is being bounced about a bit. (I will be adding some waterproof tape to mine) This wire had popped out of that compartment. I am told by 50cycles that although they are not 100% sure what it is for, it is meant to be like that and not meant to be connected to anything and it is probably used for programming by the factory when assembling the bike.

TREF

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2014
St.Asaph
Got to the bottom of this. Underneath the drive unit is a rubber seal which protects the compartment where the wires and connectors etc are housed. This does not actually fit that well and can open up when the bike is being bounced about a bit. (I will be adding some waterproof tape to mine) This wire had popped out of that compartment. I am told by 50cycles that although they are not 100% sure what it is for, it is meant to be like that and not meant to be connected to anything and it is probably used for programming by the factory when assembling the bike.
Seems like a reasonable explanation. As long as everything is working ok then there is nothing to worry about.
Good to know.

Advertisers