Freesat Sky offer

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi,
Has anyone taken up Sky's free sat offer of £75, pay once and watch forever deal? Is it OK? Any probs? Should I prostitute myself and give money to the meglomaniacal monster that is Murdoch? etc etc

BW
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't taken it up, but it's cheap enough.

The downside is that you will then be regularly pestered by phone, mail and email to take up one of their subscription packages, since this is clearly just a way in for them.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Since the introduction of Freesat there has been a bit of a price war, it could badly dent Sky's customer base which is why they are clawing for new customers. Freesat is akin to Freeview and not a sky product, so what Sky call Freesat may not be the same thing. ISTR there was some controversy over HD channels and I think Freesat has something Sky doesn't so if you are a sports fan it may be worth checking it out.
I wouldn't take the offer up because there are too many voices in my house that would object when I take away the compulsory free trial of paid Sky channels. :rolleyes:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi All,

Yes, I had Freesat installed around two years ago, it's excellent.

To tell the truth, it's installed on a small TV in the dining room, I like to catch up on the news on BBC24 at teatime. Flecc is right of course, they do send promotions through the post, but I refused to give my phone number to the installers. They seem to have given up now as I haven't heard anything from them for several months. The main TV in the lounge is with Virgin Media along with phone and broadband.

Recently, here in Swindon, the Freeview transmitter went to full power. The transmitter is actually 60 miles crow-fly up on the Mendips, but I still got a very strong signal lock using a 48 element hi-gain antenna. So you see, in the event of Virgin falling over, I can still watch my favourite channels by several means.

All the best

Bob

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
Yes we had Free Sat and were very happy with it. The only problem we have had with Sky was when we needed a new satellite cable after the first was vandalised and the chap they sent was barely out of school so didn't water-proof the connection properly. They soon sent an older hand to sort this out. We've since gone to a full subscription service so we can use Sky+ and multi-room.

I have to say, however, if we could receive a signal I would be much happier with a Freeview box on each of our TV's. £36 per month + licence fee breaks my heart.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have to say, however, if we could receive a signal I would be much happier with a Freeview box on each of our TV's. £36 per month + licence fee breaks my heart.
If you convert to proper freesat (not the sky version) you can get multi room kits, I expect you can get a conversion kit (Freesat needs a different reciever) and multi room in one package.
No more monthly fee. :)

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Hi,
Has anyone taken up Sky's free sat offer of £75, pay once and watch forever deal? Is it OK? Any probs? Should I prostitute myself and give money to the meglomaniacal monster that is Murdoch? etc etc

BW
musicbooks
Don't give him a penny. Get yourself down to Lidl and buy one of their digital satellite kits for around £60. The kit has all you need (dish, digital receiver, cable, satellite finder, mount etc). Aligning the dish can be tricky and you may need to get a better satellite finder (one with a visual meter as I think the one supplied is audio only - though Lidl sell a decent meter for about £3.50).
The only downside is that Lidl only sell the kits once or twice a year. If you are prepared to wait then they are great kits for the price.

Advertisers