Freewheel removal tool

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just a word of caution.. some people make these jobs apear easy and in most cases they are.. the last time I tried to change a cassette I broke two chain whips trying, took the wheel to halfords and they couldn't get it off either so had to take it to another bike shop to finally get up off.
A lot of the good advice on here comes from people who know what they are doing and don't necessarily understand that these simple tasks can seem difficult to others..

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
lot of the good advice on here comes from people who know what they are doing and don't necessarily understand that these simple tasks can seem difficult to others..
That's a very good point, it's all easy when you know what you're doing but very daunting the first time.
I would still urge everyone to have a go at fixing their bike themselves, there's lots of help on the internet, better than when I was a kid when you had to find someone with a bit more knowledge than yourself who hopefully lived nearby.
The problem with bikes is that they constantly need attention of some sort, things go out of adjustment, break or wear out etc.
Unlike cars which generally benefit from an annual service, that's just not enough for a bike, it needs your love and care at all times.:)
That tool looks OK Andy but check carefully as there are one or two different types around.
You will probably need a chain whip as well, sometimes you can bodge it and manage without but then you may end up having to manage without some of the skin on your knuckles.
Your treatment at the bike shop on your other thread is appalling and uncalled for, these places should not be in business.
Dave.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks Dave, I know it should be a while off before I need to do it, I definitely want to give it a try so would prefer to have the tools in the box ready for the job ;)

Reactions: D C

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess I need any standard chain whip head tool too?
you don't need a chain whip to remove a freewheel.
If you are not sure which type your bike has, post the part number of the freewheel or free hub here.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just checked the specs of your Stealth. It has 7-speed derailleur, most likely a freewheel. Free hubs have 8-11 speed cassettes.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
AH right...getting my youtube tutorials mixed up....so with the freewheel, you just use the spline tool and hold the wheel while you unlock it?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will probably need a chain whip as well, sometimes you can bodge it and manage without but then you may end up having to manage without some of the skin on your knuckles.
Tip Tip #1: Always wear gloves!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AH right...getting my youtube tutorials mixed up....so with the freewheel, you just use the spline tool and hold the wheel while you unlock it?
yes. Sometimes it's hard to move, I have to use my foot...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they work in a similar way but not mounted the same way.

free hub lockring removal:
the chain whip holds the spline still so you can undo the lockring.

freewheel removal:
the freewheel is screwed onto the wheel, you only need to hold the wheel still to unscrew it.

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need a chain-whip. That's for cassettes. Taking off a freewheel couldn't be simpler. You insert the tool and turn it anticlockwise with the right sized spanner. Often they're on quite tight, so whack the spanner with a mallet or big hammer. It can be a bit awkward to hold the wheel while you turn the freewheel tool. A helper to hold the wheel still is good, or it's easy if you have a vice. You put the tool in the vice and turn the wheel.

Now the important bit. You need the right tool. The one you showed won't work. You need one that has a large hole right through to clear the axle and the nuts on it, like this DNP one. If you get stuck, I have some for £3 plus postage:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks for the offer D8veh, very kind of you. I might well take you up on that.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information too :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Useful
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Advertisers