Genius Bar caught ripping customer off ON CAMERA by CBC News

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't mind fixing things myself. You can buy parts for Apple here https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Parts/ I haven't had a Mac in many years but I may get a Macbook next year because some software I want won't run on Linux.

I am about to change my battery in my nexus 7 tablet for the second time since 2013. Why? Because it has the best full HD screen of any tablet in that price range. I don't think iPads are worth the premium so I am happy to use Android.

My Sony Vaio I upgraded myself which involved taking it to completely bits. I have fixed my Samsung washing machine. And of course I build my own pedelecs from kits...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well a word of warning as the new macbooks have a chip in them that will mean you can not fix it yourself.

screen
keyboard
trackpad
cams
batt

all these will need a code entering or it will not work if you replace them ur self even with real apple parts.and given the prices apple charge out of warranty repair might as well throw it in the bin and buy a new one.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You are telling a man who ran Mac OS on an Atari STf with bootleg ROMs when Mac ROMs were uncrackable that he can't repair a MacBook screen because of a chip? Good luck with that! :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well unless you can get the software then no you wont be able to as thats the hole point.

so you have a macbook out of warranty that needs a new screen ect.

you replace it with oem parts it wont power on or either boot loop.

it will need a id code from the part and also need access to the mac repair software to validate this on the mac being repaired and flash the chip with the right codes b4 it will even boot to a os from the apple servers.

id just build a hackintosh less fkn hassle and cheaper as apple these days only care about screwing as much money out of ppl as possible and sewing anyone that offers to fix there crap!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:D

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
you can get plenty of apple oem parts in china you can even build ur own phone as one guy on you tube has done so it is not like there fake batts parts ect.

apple is even sewing one repair guy over fake screens but there not fake they are real apple displays but as he sent them to china to have the glass replaced and nothing else apple calls this a non apple product and fake and had the lot seized at customs.

lets just hope one state supports the right to repair bill as then the rest will follow and apple wont have any choice to offer spare parts for 3rd party repair.
But the first part of your answer above does not deal with the question of fraud by the chinese factories (either selling genuine parts to people outside their contract with Apple or fraudulently using the apple logo on parts they have designed and made themselves).
Your video earlier does deal with fraud - by Apple stores (telling a customer lies about what is wrong with their machine). Presumably western countries have laws that could deal with that (fraud).
And I worry about whether the right to fix law WILL actually solve the problem. I have a Honda motorcycle that cost me about $12k but someone priced up the bike by pricing every spare part from the official Honda spare parts list. I think it amounted to over $50k and of course that didn't include any labour. So is Honda committing fraud in its pricing of spare parts? If we think 'no' but they are charging too much, how much is too much?
On a more general philosophical note - If a company develops the best product ever in the history of the world (I'm not saying Honda or Apple have by the way), and one which continues to perform its role for 30 years without ever breaking down except when customers damage it, and they make replacement bits available at cost price, then after they have sold their first billion units in 5 years, what do they do for the next 25?
Mike
PS - I have a beautiful Macbook Air that is now 7 or 8 years old, whose battery seems Ok, that has never gone blue screen or been infected with a virus - I switched to iphones at the same time but am on my 4th - but only because the phone company 'give' me a new one every 2 years

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How old was your Samsung washing machine when it went wrong? If you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,

Josh
Three weeks the wrong side of the end of the guarantee. My fault though, putting too much weight in, the bearings take a lot of abuse at 1,200 rpm during the spin cycle.

I still have it getting on for 7 years but the bearings are on their way out again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Three weeks the wrong side of the end of the guarantee. My fault though, putting too much weight in, the bearings take a lot of abuse at 1,200 rpm during the spin cycle.

I still have it getting on for 7 years but the bearings are on their way out again.
they dont make anything to last anymore.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

Advertisers