Giant XR E+ De-restrict

Foxtrot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 28, 2015
I was wondering whether it is possible to de-restrict the 15mph limit on the assist via the LCD controller on this bike. Or could someone at least point me in the right direction. Yes I understand that on the road this is illegal, but this is for off road use only. The guy in the shop implied it could be done but would not offer any assistance. I don't want the bike to go faster you understand, I just don't want to be carrying the weight of the bike after 15mph.
I haven't bought the bike yet and although it ticks a lot of the boxes for me, this could be a deal breaker. The other option of course is to buy a 750 Watt Bfang and fit it to a bike of my choice but then I would have remove the front Derailleur and lose a lot of the potential of the bike. So I would rather not do that.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks for looking
Foxtrot

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
another solution: you could fit a rear BPM CST hub motor to your bike of choice.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
Thanks Trex, I've thought about doing it myself and the hub motor you mention would be a great idea but when it comes down to it, I don't think I have the skill or the tools for that matter to pull it off. So I'm going to get the bike tomorrow. I have already had a go on it in the car park near the shop but I never had an opportunity to take it up a hill which is disappointing. S it will be a leap of faith on that score. It's on 0% finance and its just been reduced by 15%. Just wish someone new how to de-restrict it. Still thanks for taking the time to reply

Foxtrot

D

Deleted member 4366

I've not heard of one being derestricted. You probably need a special programming device if it can be dòne. It would be better to get a more conventional bike if you want to go fast. The Oxygen MTB is about the fastest derestricted bike that would be legal when restricted to 25km/h.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
Thanks Flatbat but it's not speed so much as maintaining the assistance. I must confess I do not really understand how it works exactly. The Giant Roam XR has 27 gears though and a torque sensor. I like the idea that you have to put in the effort, I think a throttle would defeat the object for me. There's not many if any bikes I've come across that keep all the gears and I think it's one of the nicest looking Hybrids out there. Although I must confess I did like the look of the BH Emotion but that was a lot more expensive

Anyhow thanks for the reply appreciate that....I'm sure there must be a way of de ristricting it though. The guy selling it more or less implied that it could be done but wouldn't say anymore. But he definitely gave me the impression that it could be done...Someone out there knows how to do it I bet

Cheers
Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
By the way it was D8veh I should have thanked for the last post...sorry mate

D

Deleted member 4366

Anyhow thanks for the reply appreciate that....I'm sure there must be a way of de ristricting it though. The guy selling it more or less implied that it could be done but wouldn't say anymore.
That's easy then. Tell him you won't buy it unless he tells you. Then you can tell us.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
Well I've been thinking about this. The controller on this bike is built into the LCD. Very neat (all bikes should do that IMO) So there must be a menu and I'm guessing there may be a way of altering the wheel size. Now would that not fool the sensor into thinking I have smaller wheels on the bike and Hey Presto! increasing the min cut off speed...It's just a thought I could be making a complete arse of myself here...but what the hell

Foxtrot

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the controller is probably at the base of the battery mounting. The LCD casing is too thin for that.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can change the wheel size setting when you have a kit system, which needs to be flexible, but many OEM bikes have fixed parameters in the controller software, because they know which wheel size they have. The display is only an interface to the controller software.

Until you explore what you get access to from the LCD, you can only guess. It would be best to be sure before you buy the bike. The speed limit can make riding that type of bike very unpleasant. We've had a few on this forum who realised the problems after they bought one. The regen can stop you from freewheeling down hills, so make sure that all resistance can be switched off for that. There's probably settings for how it works, but you need to be sure.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the motor looks like a direct drive model. The battery is 36V 11AH, it's not going to be very good in pulling power compared to a 750W BBS02. You should at least try a crank drive (any crank drive), before buying.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
Well lets just forget about that bike shall we. I took Trex's advice and tried a bike manufactured by 'Scott' with a Bosch mid unit. Let me paint the picture first. The bike shop is at the bottom of a Very steep hill, you have to see it to believe it. I thought it would be a struggle with a 1000w motor let alone a 250w. But I'm here to tell you I breezed up it..yes I had to work a bit but I reached the top without breaking a sweat. So that's it! I have to have a mid drive. Can't wipe the smile off my face. All I need is money. So the question now is which mid drive is best Yamaha or Bosch or Shimano and the £ is really strong against the Euro at the moment so what about getting one from our European partners. Or can someone let me know if there are any great deals ie 0% to spread the cost. The three bikes I like the look of are in order of preference
1. Haibike Sduro Cross RC HE - Yamaha (I think)
2. Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 29 (Bosch)
3. KTM Ventuta Cross 9 9-SAlvivo (Shimano)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
50 Cycles has interest free credit and their Kalkhoff Impulse 11 is at least as powerful, if not more powerful them the ones you mention as well as having proven reliability and build quality. The Pro Connect 9 is good value.

D

Deleted member 4366

Well lets just forget about that bike shall we. I took Trex's advice and tried a bike manufactured by 'Scott' with a Bosch mid unit. Let me paint the picture first. The bike shop is at the bottom of a Very steep hill, you have to see it to believe it. I thought it would be a struggle with a 1000w motor let alone a 250w. But I'm here to tell you I breezed up it..yes I had to work a bit but I reached the top without breaking a sweat. So that's it! I have to have a mid drive.
Sorry to make it more difficult for you, but what are you comparing that Scott with? There's lots of cheaper bikes with hub-motors that can climb well too. Don't forget that legal hub-motors won the world championshops hill climb the last two times. The cheaper hub-motor bikes can be easily derestricted without cost. The Bosch and Yamaha are much more complicared and expensive to derestrict.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
'So that's it! I have to have a mid drive. Can't wipe the smile off my face. All I need is money.'

how much is the lower end of your budget? we'll suggest how to make the most of it.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
John, had a look at the Kalkhoffs but they just don't float my boat, no doubt they are top bikes but I would like a bike close to the style of the ones I've listed. Now what's all this d8veh hub motors climbing hills better than mid drives. Was this on throttle only or can you pedal too. I'm really not sure about Hubs any more. There's a couple of things I like about the mid drives. 1 They don't interfer with the wheels so you get a puncher you change it no disconnecting stuff. (However in saying that I know some bikes look as if they have quick release connectors now) 2. The mid drives seem to put down far more torque. And here is an interesting fact from the guy in the shop. Although the batteries cost a fortune around £500 he told me they worked it out in the shop and predicted that if I rode the bike every day for the next seven years the battery would last...Did I believe him well no. What do you guys think about that

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
by the way my budget would be around £1800 or a bit more say £2200 if there was 0% finance over 3 years. Has anyone ever bought a bike from Europe, or would you advise against that.

Foxtrot

Mar 28, 2015
Oh by the way no one mentioned which mid drive they preferred. Is there a discussion on this site about that. Sorry for all the questions guys I appreciate you taking the time to share information.

Foxtrot

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Foxtrot
I don't know about seven years but at five years my Panasonic ( on BH then Kalhoff) still had 8 out of 10 Ah left in the battery. So not as new but still going well.
Lots and lots of miles in them.
If you run a battery hard you can reduce the lifespan but I belive the CD's were deliberately limited to maximise life.

Ps the hill climb was a very close race for most of the bikes and may well have depended on just where the speed limiter was set.
Google pike peak and optibikes for crank drive vs hub?
A strong (ilegal )hub drive will beat a crank drive. But a crank drive can also outdo a similar hub. Cranks also promote pedalling and hence get more miles per watt ?

Advertisers