Good Bike Tool Kit?

RokitL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi all,

I was just looking into getting a mid-drive kit for one of my MTBs, when I realised that I don't have the best tools for removing the bottom bracket, so this is the time to get myself that bike tool kit that I've been needing.

I found this 30 piece kit on wiggle, which seems like quite good value for money.

I also found this similar kit on Aliexpress.

But then thought I'd see if anybody on here knows of any reasons why I should go for another instead.

Also, are there any tools that are particularly useful when it comes to ebikes?

As always, any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 4366

The Aliexpress one is the kit that Aldi sell from time to time for £19.99, though I got mine when they reduced the price to £9.99. Here's the deluxe version for £18. It has the hinged C-spanner, which is useful for doing the castellated ring nut that the crank-drives often have, including Bosch. The chain-breaker is made of cheese, but the other tools work OK. It doesn't have a crank-puller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44PC-Bike-Cycling-Bicycle-Maintenance-Repair-Hand-Wrench-Tool-Kit-Set-Box-Case/282772334152?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49568&meid=d7981d7fe1eb46b0ad33a7826f399e5c&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=291774049513&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This is the Aldi one:

The problem is always to get all the tools you need in one box. I think it's better to buy the tools you need when you need them and put them in your own box.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not having anything when I did my first conversion I got one of those cheap box sets and it has and is still serving me well. I did have to buy a couple of freewheel and cassette removal tools to complement the generic one. The tools I need on the road are removed from the box and in a tool tube.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For cassette removal I looked in my old tool box, found and now use an old oil filter chain remover. It has a hex head so can use a spanner on it for leverage.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Funny how a new tool can seemingly become your new favourite tool.

Because of a mess up with an order I bought one of these Park Tool AWS1C hex wrench the other day.

I'm already wondering how I managed without for all of these years, and intend to expand with more of them, as discount codes and offers come up.

My new favourite tool. I'm easily pleased. :)

A very close second is one of these Park Tool CN-10 cable cutters, that I bought when I spotted them on special offer. Talk about a precise and clean cable cut!
I'm very impressed, and again a tool that I wouldn't normally have considered, but even at the full retail price, would now consider them worth every penny.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Makita.P-79158 SCREWDRIVER BIT SET 39-PCE

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yep, another good bit of kit, that I have been using an almost daily basis at work, for about the last three years. I have also recently bought the smaller version as well.

The ratchet is of exceptionally good quality, and I particularly like it's fine movement.

The bits are also incredibly durable, but I have say that whilst operating well, I don't like the bit holder. The reason being that the release mechanism is the reverse to my preferred choice, and I find it awkward. I understand why they have done it, as it prevents accidental release, but I just not struck on it. Still a worthy bit of kit though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what is the smaller one? just less bits smaller box. use mine for all bolts bar crank arms but what is that Gray socket thing for?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The smaller kit is kind of cycle back pack friendly, or so I thought, but in truth after buying it, I haven't found a use for it. So currently a completely wasted purchase that stays at home.

The small grey socket is by memory a bit adapter.

My kit now also contains a few very small drill bits as well, which for work use, extend the scope of kit even further.

Looked after, you have a kit for life there.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The smaller kit is kind of cycle back pack friendly, or so I thought, but in truth after buying it, I haven't found a use for it. So currently a completely wasted purchase that stays at home.

The small grey socket is by memory a bit adapter.

My kit now also contains a few very small drill bits as well, which for work use, extend the scope of kit even further.

Looked after, you have a kit for life there.
it was 15.99 on ebay tho like everything has gone up now imo.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That was a good price for the level of quality. I'm sure that I paid about £23.00 for mine, but didn't realise this until the account bill came in. Still worth every penny though, given the abuse that the bits have had to put up with. I used to call the kit my last chance bit set. If these didn't work removing screws, then nothing would. I have a cordless drill that has a pulse mode for removing stubborn wood screws, and the set up proved to be a good combination. Or rather it did until I stupidly lent the set to someone. It returned with missing bits, and the bit holder bit snapped in half! The bit holders are actually designed to snap, but I have never yet managed it, nor should anyone else through normal use.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Or rather it did until I stupidly lent the set to someone. It returned with missing bits, and the bit holder bit snapped in half!
From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and EddiePJ

Advertisers