Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is always someone who refuses to put headphones on or take their feet off the seat, who won’t shut up during the gig and can’t be bothered finding a bin.
I see this kind of behaviour every day in front of the legal high shop in my street.

The reason? a poor education, parents who will only praise kids and won't tell them off. These kids will grow up thinking the world owes them a living.

(that shop is now closed since the law makes selling legal highs illegal)

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
We shouldn't generalise..good , bad and great come in all colours and creeds.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I posted at the outset that this Mobike scheme wouldn't work in Britain, it simply doesn't have a chance.

Not that Paris was any better with their Velib bike scheme. When introduced it took no time for a large proportion of the bikes to be stolen and the scale of damage to the bikes was also very high. The situation soon became so bad that the contractor running the scheme, J C Decaux, said they would walk out of the scheme without a lot more being paid to run it.

Asia is very different to Europe, especially places like Singapore and Malaysia where strict discipline is expected and rigidly enforced. There people instinctively behave well, and the only place in Europe truly comparable is Germany, which is mostly naturally law abiding.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/16/manchesters-bike-share-scheme-isnt-working-because-people-dont-know-how-to-share

I can't air my views on this in clear because tilson will say I'm being an a-hole. But I bet you can guess what I am thinking. These are the people that go on holiday in Benidorm...
.. the free bike scheme in Dublin has been a remarkable success. It was modelled on the one in Vannes , France. And uses the model of a credit card to register, a yearly charge, nominal, and a free 30 minutes per usage., Encouraging the user to use them for one trip and then placing them back in a rack.
I would have expected to see the canal full of them , but no.. People need some order in their lives and the discipline of returning the bikes to a rack provides that.

For visitors, there is a slightly different scheme, and a higher short term registration fee.
Dublin should be a good city to cycle in, it is basically flat in the centre, but the roads are highly congested, and cycle paths depend on the magical power of paint to separate traffic.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Encouraging the user to use them for one trip and then placing them back in a rack.
it ought to be possible to do away with the docking stations if members agree to keep the bikes at their homes or public places until someone needs it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
it ought to be possible to do away with the docking stations if members agree to keep the bikes at their homes or public places until someone needs it.
.. a person can take and retain the bike, but after a few hours the rental cost mounts up rapidly. The racks are needed in the model used, because they are smart, and define the start and end of a renting cycle. If people were to keep bikes at home, it defeats the purpose of communial bikes.
The docking stations work
At night lorries come and redistribute the bikes for the next day?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The racks are needed in the model used, because they are smart, and define the start and end of a renting cycle. If people were to keep bikes at home, it defeats the purpose of communial bikes.
I understand the role of docking stations. Mobikes are dockless, so it goes in the right direction, but still requires you to return the bike to a designated area. Take the mobikes scheme a little further, imagine you enlarge the designated area to include people's houses in the city centre, then you should increase the appeal of the sharing scheme. The bike knows when it's locked. That will determine the hire period. The GPS also knows how far the trip is, that information can be used for incremental charges. The main thing is to share the bike, it's less important if it stays inside your garden or outside.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. the free bike scheme in Dublin has been a remarkable success. It was modelled on the one in Vannes , France. And uses the model of a credit card to register, a yearly charge, nominal, and a free 30 minutes per usage., Encouraging the user to use them for one trip and then placing them back in a rack.
Much of this is common to the London bike hire scheme, and that largely works ok, though at much higher cost than originally expected. The free 30 minutes is the problem, people have adapted to only doing that, meaning no further income. For longer trips/periods some will even swap the bike halfway to keep it free!

Reactions: robdon

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Its exactly the same in China. It is true street crime is very low...and in some cities there are piles of mobikes all in the one place because redistribution doesn't happen. The operators of the bike hire schemes can also be the criminals linked to finance scams and corruption at a higher level. I suspect the vandalism novelty will wear off. When cities completely ban private motoring people will learn just how useful the bikes are. I remain hopeful!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

Reactions: E-Wheels and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Much of this is common to the London bike hire scheme, and that largely works ok, though at much higher cost than originally expected. The free 30 minutes is the problem, people have adapted to only doing that, meaning no further income. For longer trips/periods some will even swap the bike halfway to keep it free!
.. it's not intended as a revenue stream.So the yearly registration and the occasional longer hire suffices. I don't use them myself, and probably won't now, as I have an old age travel pass, but in-laws living in Dublin are great fans. In the Dublin case, the sponsor is Coco cola. The previous sponsor commenced the scheme and wanted the rights to put up advertising panels, from the city corporation.
Like London the racks are adjacent to colleges, major public buildings and railway and tram stops. ... We don't do underground.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. it's not intended as a revenue stream.
It isn't in London, but it was hoped that the sponsorship and hire income together would largely cover the costs. It hasn't, and it's the almost complete absence of hire income that is the trouble. We're on our second sponsor.

In terms of rides it's very successful, last year hires exceeded 10 millions for the first time.

Advertisers