Great train journeys

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Michael Portillo has a lovely little job at the moment presenting the programme about great train journeys, now covering europe, on Thursday evenings.

I don't know if any members watched last night's edition about Switzerland but I found it fascinating on three counts: First, the sheer beauty of the country; second, fantastic engineering and third, the cameraman's obvious love of bicycles as he managed to get loads of them in shot all through the programme.

I think he was actually teasing viewers as he only afforded us glimpses of the bikes and I couldn't read the maker's name or model on any of them.

Lovely programme but a real shame the producers couldn't have found someone with a little more charisma than Portillo to present it.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lovely programme but a real shame the producers couldn't have found someone with a little more charisma than Portillo to present it.

Indalo
I think the choice of presenter is Portillo driven, and this series probably suggested by him. He did the long Bradshaw Guides series on British rail journeys for BBC 2 and he says he loves the TV work now and wants to stay with that. He's made it plain that nothing would tempt him back into politics for which he has no love now, though he's happy to be on BBC 1's "This Week" program as a political commentator.

I'm happy with him as presenter of these rail series, he at least is just a commentator and not an idiotic arm waving, gurning over-actor as so many modern presenters are.

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
Speaking of great train journeys what experience of taking your bike on UK trains have others had?
I've never taken a bike on the train myself but see on the internet that it is free on Virgin and Arriva trains although you may have to book as space is limited. I mean a full size bike not a folder.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm happy with him as presenter of these rail series, he at least is just a commentator and not an idiotic arm waving, gurning over-actor as so many modern presenters are.
I think he's good at it as well. He speaks clearly and doesn't go mad when doing things or talking about it.

Advertisers