Growbags or pots

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
It's coming to that time of year for tomatoes in the greenhouse. I never seem to do very well with the bags. Can't seem to keep them watered right. So was thinking about going for pots. Anybody have a view on this

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have done both over the years and ended up making raised beds in the greenhouse . Tom's need a constant supply so drying out and then watering is bad. I would go for big pots and have them in even bigger saucers .

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's coming to that time of year for tomatoes in the greenhouse. I never seem to do very well with the bags. Can't seem to keep them watered right. So was thinking about going for pots. Anybody have a view on this
Disclaimer: I am by no means a gardener and quite a few things that I try to grow die.

I have grown a few tomato plants and have always had the most success planting into individual pots. I find it is easier to control the moisture of the soil / compost in a pot. The bag moisture tends to fluctuate more, whereas I find a pot's moisture stable by comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bigger pot more roots bigger plants :)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can see the mistake I made... :oops: You have to plant your tomatoes in a greenhouse I thought you were only planting seeds in there to start them off... :oops: We plant out tomatoes outside in the garden because it is warm and sunny... :oops: Sorry!!! :D

I like these. I am hoping to move soon and will have tomatoes on the balcony in one of these.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Waist-High-Planter-Box/

Plastic liner and automatic watering system

Reactions: tillson and EddiePJ

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Do you not find the rain water goes green in the clear tanks?

I keep 2100 gallons of unfiltered rain water off a couple of sheds, in seven 300 gallon black plastic tanks that were used for syrup. Had them for 15 + years still going strong, I use a submersible pump to get the water out, that has been changed a few times.

Oh and grow bags every time, with roof strings to hang the plants off.

If you buy cherry tomato plants and put them in the Miracle grow bags, the tomatoes come out normal size!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Do you not find the rain water goes green in the clear tanks?
Strangely not, but the tanks are now pretty well covered with foliage from plants, as well as leaf mould that I spread yearly on the tops. That is more for UV protection than anything else.
Being honest, the water certainly doesn't begin to compare with fresh rain water falling onto the vegetables. It keeps things alive, but without adding fertiliser, that is about all that it does do. The difference when fresh rain falls, is very evident.

Here are two 'before' photos.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It's a good system, but sadly it is also a fine balancing act of knowing when to start filling them.
I drain them down and clean them as best that I can each winter, but knowing when to start to allow them to refill is always a hard one. If the water is left too long, it goes stale, which okay in respect of keeping the plants alive, but not for strong growth. But if I don't start the fill soon enough, there has been years that they haven't filled up enough to sustain watering through the summer period.

The veg garden as a whole is on a tough site. It faces north with no protection for at least 25 miles, and the soil is highly acidic. It is also a woodland garden, so tall trees also take the light. The actual growing period can sadly be very short, which more often that not restricts what can be grown. I really need a glass house, and keep promising to make myself one.

Related to the veg plot, I quite like these two freebies.

The front of a luton lorry body, turned into a storage unit.

And an outdoor potting table that I made from oak and cedar that I pulled from the bonfire area of a my local sawmill.

Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I quite like my irrigation set up. :)

I have since changed from a gravity fed system, to an inline pump.

You might not want to see the veg plot! :D

When using grow bags for tomatoes, I came up with this simple idea a very long time ago as a means of support.

thats a great idea for support. I have some of that piping knocking around

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I use the large growbags with 'Growpots' which sit into the bags and have an outside ring for watering. Very successful.

Jim

Reactions: gray198

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bet none of you ph test the water and correct it to the plants needs :)

thats when you want a kick ass hanna test meter.

plant of the month thc talk ;)

thats the most expensive block of cheese you will ever see, and they say money dont grow on trees.

i managed just fine :)

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
i bet none of you ph test the water and correct it to the plants needs :)

thats when you want a kick ass hanna test meter.

plant of the month thc talk ;)

thats the most expensive block of cheese you will ever see, and they say money dont grow on trees.

i managed just fine :)
I use rainwater collected in a butt by the greenhouse. Biggest problem for me is keeping it watered correctly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nice, erm, tomatoes. How many plants is that yield from?

6= 1000g dry 2 600w hps bulbs and about £450 of nutrients/plant food.

Advertisers