Guardian article on bike helmets - good read

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
.... So all pedestrians need helmets.? Obviously if one falls and hits the head, a helmet would have given more protection.
With bike crashes it tends to be a head first, and no time put hands out to break fall. Running, walking you face plant and normally hands are free to help break fall.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If bike helmets are so good, why can't they be worn on a moped?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With bike crashes it tends to be a head first, and no time put hands out to break fall. Running, walking you face plant and normally hands are free to help break fall.
Great, end up with a pair of Colles fractures. :(

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been over the handlebars once at about age 13 and landed on my backside (coccyx to be precise). I have never hit my head when falling of my bike in 50 years. I have hit my head on a low hanging branch (in Spanish Basque Country) so yes, I was wearing a helmet at the time. I only ride on the road or cycle paths. If you watch the Tour de France a lot you will know how useful a helmet is in preventing facial injuries - it isn't, you need a full facial helmet to prevent those eh D8ve?

I wear a helmet now when/because:

- In Spain it is obligatory
- when it is very sunny it is cooler and more comfortable than a cap
- the one I have has a visor that is more comfortable than sunglasses
- it gives good insect protection (the visor)

Most of the time I ride with a thick wool felt dockers cap which offers many of the same protections as a helmet.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, a full face helmet would give more protection. i slipped off a motorbike one on a roundabout. I went face first into the kerb and ended up with a stiff neck and a scratch on my visor. I wore open helmets occasionally before that.

I must admit, I'm not convinced by the design of cycle helmets, which is why mine's a snowboarding one. I wear it most of the time, but not when i go shopping or somewhere where carrying it would be inconvenient.

I don't advocate compulsory helmets, but I would advise people to wear one. It doesn't matter how safe you ride, You can't really plan for the guy hitting you from behind while texting, in which case the back of your head is likely to strike the windscreen pretty hard, or, as happened to me, a twig got thrown up by the front wheel. It jammed between the mudguard and tyre, which locked the wheel instantly and sent me straight over the handlebars into some nettles. It could have been a tree anywhere else. Some people are lucky, they win the lottery. Others are unlucky and get wiped out in freak accidents. You can't plan for everything, so you have to find your own balance of protection and risk.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
And this morning on my way to work. Stopped in the cycle box next to van.
Lights changed I pull off and van turns left. Rolling me and the bike onto the pavement. Helmet worn, not needed as head didn't hit the ground.
Better than needing it and not wearing it.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Work colleague wife end up with broken collar bone from twig though spokes. Not an uncommon accident.

My helmet light did me in the other day, caught on overhead branch on steep descent. Crashed and burned, new helmet and wrist in velco splint for 3wks.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I never ride without wearing helmet, and I'm certain that on at least two occasions, that injuries would have been far greater had I not been wearing one.

The one aspect of cycle helmets that I have grown to hate, is the peak. Whilst I wear one on looks basis alone, I also feel that having a peak, has jarred my neck in two incidents. On both occasions the peak was ripped from the helmet. Whether the peak gave save to impact damage, I don't know, but my own opinion is that it didn't and caused more harm than good.

I don't think that attaching anything to a helmet is a good idea, be it a peak, light or camera.

1st incident.

2nd incident. Split shown with red arrow, and peak with yellow.

I also wouldn't want to see the wearing of helmets made compulsory. Not because I don't agree with it, or even the use of them, it is because I envisage it causing too many road side arguments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarabee

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I fell off my bike stationary going up a very steep hill off road I ran out of steam and just went on my right side hitting my head on ground ( i was clipped in and it happened so fast). The helmet took the knock, but it still hurt. If i didn't have it on i would have split my head open.

I dont skimp on a good quality hemet, not worth it. I like the POC helmet!

Reactions: Sarabee

Advertisers