Handlebar controller for Raleigh Velo Cite

bill3066

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
Hi, I’m looking for help in getting a replacement handlebar controller for my cycle, the one I have has four buttons, the silicone/ rubber has perished and I’m concerned that it will give up soon. I have contacted Customer Services at Raleigh and they have given me a spare part number but this has only three buttons and have said that it should work, now I’m thinking should is not will so I’m a bit concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks
ChrisEC019A4D-0EF2-471C-8E4B-6F8DE9FFE705.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of those models (early ones ) may have used KT controllers, can you look and tell us the name or writing on the controller. Also look on the rear of the display and tell us if anything is written on it.

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
Some of those models (early ones ) may have used KT controllers, can you look and tell us the name or writing on the controller. Also look on the rear of the display and tell us if anything is written on it.
Thank you for your prompt reply, I will look tomorrow and then let you know

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for your prompt reply, I will look tomorrow and then let you know
Hi Neal I have removed the controller from the handlebars no code number on the back I could remove the face, I have undone the retaining screws but will await any info before splitting the unit see photo7CD76A15-D127-43CB-A5CD-9DDEF5A27222.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nothing on the display, KT have their name/designation type on the back.
You now need to locate the controller box, follow the hub cable to the controller box.

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
Nothing on the display, KT have their name/designation type on the back.
You now need to locate the controller box, follow the hub cable to the controller box.
Hi Neal I have found the controller box and photo attached11AAF507-30FF-4CD9-98CF-E30E254FF1B6.jpeg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A KT LCD3 has a good chance of working. You need to check what type of connector it has, as there are two types, otherwise you can cut the wires and join them.

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
My bike has six levels of assistance plus an auto function that lets the bike chose the best level and also in auto you can use a switch to propel the bike without pedalling. Would this controller be able to do these functions do you think?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sometimes KT controllers have special versions of software in both the controller and the LCD. It might be better to replace everything with a standard ebike setup, i.e. new controller PAS, throttle and LCD.

Does your motor have the standard 9-pin connector?

What type of pedal sensor do you have?

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
The colours of the wires from the handlebar display are as follows blue grey brown to one connector. Blue black red and white to the other.
I would consider a new setup, how would I know about the 9 pin connector is it the case of tracing the wire from the hub and looking there, also not sure about the pedal sensor

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
Hi vfr400 thank you for your instruction and information, I will look tomorrow for the 9 pin connector I think that might be by the hub motor I have seen a plug down there I will also try to take a photo of the pedal sensor.
Once again many thanks .
can you recommend a new setup my battery is a Phylion DBF44EF0-FEB8-4677-AED5-19F502EFC840.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it the cycloticity kit that utilises a custom lcd3 with 6 pas settings ?
If a custom KT set up then the vendors charge silly prices.

Last edited:

bill3066

Dec 15, 2020
I’m not sure what I have I am toying with the idea of trying the KT LCD3 to see if that would work failing that a change of controller and display. My existing one works fine just the rubber/ silicon rubbers are perished

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I’m not sure what I have I am toying with the idea of trying the KT LCD3 to see if that would work failing that a change of controller and display. My existing one works fine just the rubber/ silicon rubbers are perished
Clingfilm or something like that should keep the water out. The LCD3 won't work on its own because you have different wiring.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you aren't too bothered about the looks, a cheap bodge/ repair might be to use clear heat shrink tube, max cost £3.10 for a metre. A lot cheaper then a complete controller kit replacement.
Your LCD isn't much different in size to my lcd2, buy a shrink size slightly larger then your lcd. Cut a piece to cover the whole screen, measure the screen width from bottom to top then the thickness of the screen and add them together, buy shrink a size or two bigger. A as long as the shrink is not more then 2 x the size of the above screen measurements added together it will shrink nicely.
Slide it on and then a slit to allow it to pass the cable and then warm it, it is 2:1 shrink ratio so the 120mm or even the 150 may be about right.

PVC Heat Shrink Tubing Wrap RC Battery Pack 17mm - 150mm LiPO NiMH NiCd - UK | eBay

Last edited:

Advertisers