Harressment from Drivers?

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Ever since cycling to and from the station (on an electric bike - which isn't noticably so). Just wearing work clothes/jacket, nothing out of the ordinary to attract any attention!.

I've noticed maybe around once a week, I get either people coming up behind and then slowing down and either shouting or honking to horn, then laughing and driving off. Yesterday a mini pulled up with teenagers guys in it, passenger leaned out, hit me on the **** then laughed and drove off. (I'm a bloke)...

Does anyone else gets this happening, is there any hints on tips on what we should do about it, or should we just accept general abuse as part of cycling???....

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Sorry to hear you're not having a good experience. I guess I must be lucky on my route now as most drivers (and cyclists) are pleasant and courteous - though of course every now and then I do come across the occasional idiot. One of the benefits of doing the same route at the same time every day is that you soon get to recognise the regulars on the route. I travel down narrow country lanes so occasionally have to pull over to let people past in either direction. It's give and take though, and drivers will usually pull over to let me past too depending on where the passing places are. I rarely get anything other than smiles and waves.

I do very occasionally get youngsters scream out of their car window as they pass me and I once had a couple of school kids throw a bottle in my path which I had to swerve to avoid. I tend to ignore them and hope one day they'll grow up.

I suppose one option if this is happening regularly is to use a small video camera and simply report them - especially if they are going to the extreme of hitting you.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
One of the benefits of doing the same route at the same time every day is that you soon get to recognise the regulars on the route. I travel down narrow country lanes so occasionally have to pull over to let people past in either direction. It's give and take though, and drivers will usually pull over to let me past too depending on where the passing places are. I rarely get anything other than smiles and waves.
I'm pleased to report that in the 3 weeks that I've been cycling (Is it only 3 weeks?) my experience has been very much this. All friendly, give & take on narrow lanes, but have had the odd guffaw at my brightly coloured high visibility Visijax with flashing lights ... at least, I think its the jacket! What part of the country are we talking about here? Is it city, town, rural? I'd like to know the area(s) to avoid!

Don

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had this happen on many occasions, it's mainly due to the fact that utility cycling is no longer mainstream in Britain and seen by some as eccentric. Yobs and louts with that view are inclined to express it out loud. This is a reflection of their own insecurity, covering their inadequacy by attempting to show others as having even lower status. As such it's best ignored, just let them publicly display their stupidity, for that's what most observers will regard it as.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I wear a headcam now if I am out on a jaunt on main roads, I am lucky that my area does have many cycle paths which does offset my road use, I have had more trouble with the Lycra brigade cyclists than motorists !
Although, I did have one incident in March which was a bit scary and ended up feeling pleased.....
Coming back from my LBS I had a BMW X5 right on my tail, revving engine, backing off then speeding up, finally overtook me horn blazing, and the passenger shouting some verbal abuse, a bit too close, forced me into the kerb, the driver obviously does not use his rear view, as he passed me so did a Police Bike, the rider looked at me, overtook the BMW and stopped it about 100 odd yards up the road into a bus layby.
I also stopped in the layby, the officer was talking to the 2 occupants out of the vehicle , then came over to me and asked me if I was ok. He asked me my name and address, then informed me that he witnessed the entire incident of unacceptable driving, and it will be dealt with most severley.
That is what I call a result........

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Ever since cycling to and from the station (on an electric bike - which isn't noticably so). Just wearing work clothes/jacket, nothing out of the ordinary to attract any attention!.

I've noticed maybe around once a week, I get either people coming up behind and then slowing down and either shouting or honking to horn, then laughing and driving off. Yesterday a mini pulled up with teenagers guys in it, passenger leaned out, hit me on the **** then laughed and drove off. (I'm a bloke)...

Does anyone else gets this happening, is there any hints on tips on what we should do about it, or should we just accept general abuse as part of cycling???....
Im lucky where i am i spose. most of the local wild life round here couldn't string an abusive sentence together to save there lives .!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Advertisers