Heinzmann ni-cd to lithium conversion

bazzer214

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2017
s71
Hi I am a wheelchair user and have a cougar handcycle from team hybrd it uses a Heinzemann 36 v motor in the front hub - the battery is 36v 5ah ni cd -- controller and key built into the (heavy) box, what do I need to convert to Lithium battery power ? please bear in mind because of my disability I would rather pay a bit more for more reliable components -- but not the silly daft prices henzmann dealers are quoting -- a huge thanks for any input or ideas upload_2017-4-11_23-57-43.png

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi I am a wheelchair user and have a cougar handcycle from team hybrd it uses a Heinzemann 36 v motor in the front hub - the battery is 36v 5ah ni cd -- controller and key built into the (heavy) box, what do I need to convert to Lithium battery power ? please bear in mind because of my disability I would rather pay a bit more for more reliable components -- but not the silly daft prices henzmann dealers are quoting -- a huge thanks for any input or ideas View attachment 18661
The good news is that the only changes you need to make are in getting a battery and charger designed for Li ion. The better news is that for the same weight as your battery is at present, you will get nearly three times the range or get a smaller pack of a third the weight.
You basically have two options. Send your current battery pack and have it rebuilt with Li ion cells . The advantage of that is that the shape remains the same.
Alternatively you can get a ready made battery pack of one of a number of standard configurations. You would then have to connect this into your current electrical wiring. The second has the advantage that a. replacement battery pack in a few years time is much simpler. The configuration will depend on where one would want to mount the battery on a carrier, on a down tube, off the seat post. Behind the saddle vertical, in your case, and looking at an images of the cougar device. It looks as if it is mounted in front of the driving wheel, and there does not appear to be any restriction on size, so you would be spoilt for choice.

Last edited:

bazzer214

Apr 11, 2017
s71
Thanks for that - sorry for simple questions -- any advice on which controller ? would I need to change the thumb throttle ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for that - sorry for simple questions -- any advice on which controller ? would I need to change the thumb throttle ?
You won't need to change either, as Danidl said, only the battery and charger needs to be changed. The existing controller and throttle will just be getting the same current they need from another source.

A Li-ion battery will raise the voltage slightly but that won't have any meaningful effect.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
... If you follow the sequence, the electric power from the battery goes usually via a mechanical switch and fuse to a controller box somewhere this is typically only a two wire power and return circuit. . The controller box has a larger number of connections as it 1. Sends the current to the electric motor, .. probably 6 wires in a sheath, 2.receives sensor information from the crankshaft ,about speed and torque and also 3. Sends and receives and information to a display unit and human interaction panel ... In your case the thumb throttle.
If only the battery is replaced all the rest remains.
.. if you look at other posting on this thread you will find references to companies who do recelling or sell battery kits

bazzer214

Apr 11, 2017
s71
thanks again - problem is people want silly prices for doing the conversion upwards of £1000 , I uaold have thought 500 was very expensive and 350 about right ? - anybody want to quote ? -- thanx

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
thanks again - problem is people want silly prices for doing the conversion upwards of £1000 , I uaold have thought 500 was very expensive and 350 about right ? - anybody want to quote ? -- thanx
... I would say 300 + is about right for re celling the existing case with Li ions and getting a charger suited for Li ion. There might be a bit of a kludge in making a connector to go from your current battery case to a a new charger. But electrically it is a simple method .. all you need is two wires coming from the battery pack connecting with two wires from the charger. And ensuring that you don't reverse the polarity. Any connector capable of 5amps will do. From domestic plugs to car audio etc.
Aids for the disabled, are often at silly prices, I suspect it is because the usual market is the local health authority, with apparently unlimited budgets, and some what related to limited markets.

Advertisers