Hello All. Cambridge Bromptoneer who wants a conversion to ebike here

Kenny768

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, all I been surveying the ebike contraptions for a while now- 3 plus years.

Recently I hired the Brompton(sparticle) 8Fun motor powered with 2 - 24volt batteries(allegedly). The top speed was high and I was grinning like a mere cat for the first half hour keeping up with cars without pedaling.

However, whether I was trying to bypass the top speed or if the motor was switched off The rolling resistance was harsh. Add this to the wind resistance and heavy front load , made cycling a chore.

I then tried out a pedelec stork system on a hybrid with fat tires. Though the wheels where fat the 24v powered contraption didn't hinder my progress much whether it was switched on or off. However the gutless battery didn't fly me up Copploe/Chappel hill as a higher out put battery might, it got the job done.

So pedelec is the system I would like to fit on my Brompton.

Is the Tongxin motor that Jerry Simon built the only option? I do like his philosophy of keeping the machine light and assistance set to 15 mph. Its just that with the general perception on these boards that the Tongxin motors are tempermental and fragile I find myself waiting forever more for a better motor.

I saw a middle aged guy on a black moulton with an interesting front hub whilst I was driving past Parkside pool traffic lights oppsite the Summer fair. Wonder if that was Jerrysimons'.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Welcome to the forum Kenny.
It sounds like you will be waiting a long time for the perfect ebike.
You need to evaluate your usage carefully then select a setup nearest your needs and always try before you buy.
Personally I go for reliability and over engineering rather than looks that way you don't need to worry about rolling resistance because you will always be using assistance unless you've drained the battery because you have had an enjoyable long ride.

Last edited: