help getting reasonable battery

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hiya

I`ve been out of e bikes for a while after having another heart attack, anyway for the need of some light local exercise out comes the bike and it works fine.
My wife wants to be along with me for obvious reasons at least for a while and we also want to take our bikes on my van to pastures fresh in Norfolk where we live.

Her bike is a Synergie (from alien when they were still trading) and the usual thing is that the battery is getting old. It`s a 36v brushed motor(I think it`s only 10Amp) connection is the usual kettle plug (looks like the reverse to most I`ve seen, the battery is female and the fly lead is male with the pins) no problem because I can make up a patch lead if required.
I`m out of touch, whats available now days or any suggestions from you guys and gals? Batteries always seemed to be the big problem so I suppose things haven`t changed much.
I don`t suppose any new battery I can adapt will silde in the carrier but I can rig something up to mount the battery on top of the carrier if need be.
I`d appreciate any help or suggestions please

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If you don't mind spending about £200, send it to Insatinternational, who will re-cell it for you with decent cells.

CALL: (020) 8361 1790

http://stores.ebay.com/insatinternational
Thanks, sorry it took me a while to answer, I was waiting for an e mail to let me know someone had answered my post but nothing came through.

So, not much has changed, almost half the cost of a cheap bike for the battery.
What have you found is the average life span for a battery on the bikes?

I have made up SLA battery packs and although they do work they certainly don`t seem as good as Li-ion and are quite a lot heavier.
That`s always what people ask when I`m out and about "how long and how much are the batteries" and that always seems to be the sticking point for a lot of possible adopters.
Dave

D

Deleted member 4366

How long they last depends on how much you use them. The battery on my first ever Chinese Ebike, from 2010, still has a good cell-pack, though the BMS packed up recently for some reason. It lasted a long time because it wasn't used for three years.

culy30

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2016
Hereford
Hiya

I`ve been out of e bikes for a while after having another heart attack, anyway for the need of some light local exercise out comes the bike and it works fine.
My wife wants to be along with me for obvious reasons at least for a while and we also want to take our bikes on my van to pastures fresh in Norfolk where we live.

Her bike is a Synergie (from alien when they were still trading) and the usual thing is that the battery is getting old. It`s a 36v brushed motor(I think it`s only 10Amp) connection is the usual kettle plug (looks like the reverse to most I`ve seen, the battery is female and the fly lead is male with the pins) no problem because I can make up a patch lead if required.
I`m out of touch, whats available now days or any suggestions from you guys and gals? Batteries always seemed to be the big problem so I suppose things haven`t changed much.
I don`t suppose any new battery I can adapt will silde in the carrier but I can rig something up to mount the battery on top of the carrier if need be.
I`d appreciate any help or suggestions please

Dave
Hi Dave,

I agree with d8veh, Jimmy at Insat International will sort you out.

Chris

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
What is their turn around time on re-calling a battery and did you just send yours to them by regular courier?

culy30

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2016
Hereford
What is their turn around time on re-calling a battery and did you just send yours to them by regular courier?
I bought a new battery from Insat but did ask about re-celling as I may need to renew my wife's bike battery soon. Several posts on these forums recommend Insat for re-celling. Re couriers, give Insat a call and ask who they use, I don't remember. Or try www.interparcel.com they're agents for several courier companies and you can specify l-ion battery or whatever to find which company will carry them.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Very very fast if you ask them nicely.
Have any of you people ever considered a single wheel trailer with 3 x 12v car batteries? I know that SLA batteries can fall short of the Amh required but car batteries should be OK???

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Have any of you people ever considered a single wheel trailer with 3 x 12v car batteries? I know that SLA batteries can fall short of the Amh required but car batteries should be OK???
And the weight of three car batteries would really slow you down.
I really can't see why you would go lead acid. Lithium is light and power packed. Given the need to replace SLA lithium will also be cost effective.
My £90 16 Ah hobby King pack arrived today

culy30

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2016
Hereford
A trailer with 3 x 12v lead acid batteries might work OK on the flat once you got it up to speed, but hills would cause you problems both ascending in terms of the added mass to pull up the hill and descending in terms of stopping it! You'll need disc brakes for sure............and possibly brakes on the trailer with wheels to match and a frame/forks that are configured for discs......a good Li *** has to be a cheaper/better option

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Car batteries are lead acid but not designed for deep cycle. SLA's are basically the same thing, but with thicker plates so they can be discharged further. And sealed.

On paper SLA is a cheap alternative. In practical reality though you can only use about half of the stated Ah, as most are rated at 1/24th C.

To cut the jargon, they look cheap, but (on a bike) they are rubbish by comparison to modern lithium technologies.

SLA's have their place, just not on a bike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the £200 for a new battery a problem for you?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Is the £200 for a new battery a problem for you?
Yeh! at present, new cooker, work to be done on my van and the central heating guy is due in the morning to have a listen to a boiler problem and since the last heart attack I`ve hung up my tools.
We`ll see, I know the re-cell is really the way to go, more so with my wife`s bike it will at least go back into the carrier.
We have 2 e folders that have no batteries and my wife`s smaller Cyclamatic battery is dead.
The answer is to only have one bike each at any one time as far as batteries go.
I have run the cyclamatic and the folders all on 2x 15 Amp SLA`s and they do for a while but not for any distance.

Using an E bike every day as transport to and from work seems to be the best way to get the best out of batteries. Using them during summer and just now and then is quite expensive from a mileage per battery point of view.

D

Deleted member 4366

I might be able to help you out. I need to look at what I've got. If you don't hear from me within 7 days, send me a PM because I forget things easily.

Reactions: bmc and Alan Quay

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I might be able to help you out. I need to look at what I've got. If you don't hear from me within 7 days, send me a PM because I forget things easily.
Thanks

Dave

Advertisers