Help wanted with Boss adjustment

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello.

Had my mountain bike converted by ETS London with the 48V Boss motor.

It's got a problem which ETS don't seem able to solve, and I was wondering if anyone had come up against a similar one:

The bike runs with throttle and/or pedal-assisted power. Thus, it's fitted with electrical cut-outs on the brakes, for safety.

Trouble is, after braking, the pedal assist takes several revolutions to 'kick in' again. You can over-ride this by giving it some throttle instead, but I want it to work just like my Wisper 905, i.e. you pedal, you brake, and almost as soon as you pedal again, you have power through the pedals (maybe with half-a-revolution delay).

If anyone has experienced a similar problem I'd be grateful for your views, as although modifications would be technically beyond my skills, I could pass on suggestions to ETS.

Thanks for reading this.

Allen.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should check the micro-switches in the brake sensors with a DVM. If they work properly then follow the sensors to the controller and check the connectors. If they are good then your controller is faulty.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's probably how the software in the controller is programmed, in which case there's nothing you can do other than get a different controller. If you have a thumb-throttle, it's very easy to make a cruise control so that you don't need the PAS.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the pointers.

No, it's a twist throttle (like a Wisper).

I specifically wanted pedal assist, in fact had to pay an extra £600+ to get it, otherwise it would have just had the throttle!

A

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I specifically wanted pedal assist, in fact had to pay an extra £600+ to get it, otherwise it would have just had the throttle!
£600 for a PAS sensor? are you sure?
the Boss is just a straightforward 48V BPM CST kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

£600 for a PAS sensor? are you sure?
the Boss is just a straightforward 48V BPM CST kit.
That's what I thought. The basic motor, controller, throttle and other stuff should cost about £300. That's with a sine-wave controller with a nice LCD. Then add about £500 to £600 for a decent battery. A PAS sensor costs 89 pence from BMSBattery!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

..if it doesn't work, can I bring it back for a refund?

..no.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Check with the Electric Transport Shop web site.

The basic Boss conversion costs £1500.
I opted for the more powerful 48V version, which was £2000.
This would have given me a 'moped' (their description) - i.e. my pedal bike with an electric motor and a throttle.
No good for me, I wanted a bike like my Wisper, but with loads more oomph.
So, their new price for doing this, i.e. adding electric cut-out brakes, the 'work' involved, special controller (don't ask me), sensors, a specially strong Topeak rack and bag to carry it all, and so on...
was £2650, or an extra 33%.
Way over the top maybe, but if I end up with the bike I want, then, well...

A

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I know you can't put a price on happiness but we can put a figure on the margin, about 140%-170%. I blame their directors for being greedy, not their sales staff.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
It's the price of old age and incompetence to a large extent. There is No Way I could do any of it myself, so (like most people) I have to rely on the shop.

But having paid top dollar I do expect to get what I paid for!

A

D

Deleted member 4366

£2650!!!
If anybody wants the same kit fitted, you can send your bike to me by taxi from anywhere in the UK, and I'll give you all the oomph you need for that price. Then we'll have a party afterwards, like ETS must've done. You don't need any special controller. A S12S would do nicely for about £50. It would be nice to know which one they fitted.

Can you show us a few pictures of the bike?

Reactions: Alan Quay

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
d8veh -ho ho, but apart from the rolling around, how about the original question? Do you think they need to change the controller to give me what I want?

Ta.

A

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
very likely allen. They should fix the problem for you FOC, it's not safe if the brake cutout does not quite work.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Well, it's going back next week, so I'll keep you informed. Thanks for the advice (and sympathy).

A

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Just for my info, does anyone know of ANY other ebike that behaves like mine, i.e. with a longish delay between braking and pedal power being reestablished?

Ta.

A

D

Deleted member 4366

There's quite a few controllers like that. Every controller is different. Unfortunately they never give you that sort of information in the controller specification. I'm not using my big controllers at the moment, so I can't say what the delay is on a S12S, but I don't remember it being noticeable. Perhaps if someone has a S06S they could check it. The software for the S12S should be the same.

It would be nice to know what controller you've got. As far as I can see, your motor is a Xofo motor, but I don't understand what they charged you extra for because the Xofo controllers already have PAS. Please give us some photos.

For £2600, I would expect that ETS should give you a system that your happy with. Whatever you do, don't pay them any more. I'm pretty sure that you've been ripped off unless someone can explain what the extra £1100 was for.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks d8veh.

Photos tomorrow.

A

Advertisers