Help.....What Tablet.....

C

Cyclezee

Lynda

Get a iPad (and right now in comet if they have any left as 10% off is normally impossible to get)
Hi Garry,

I doubt if Comet will have any left, I went in last Thursday lunchtime, the day the sale started, and they only had one iPad left.

In contrast there were tons of TV's and 'white goods' available, but they are usually cheaper online anyway.

Online electricals is probably the main reason for the demise of Comet..............who will be next:(

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Hi Garry,

I doubt if Comet will have any left, I went in last Thursday lunchtime, the day the sale started, and they only had one iPad left.

In contrast there were tons of TV's and 'white goods' available, but they are usually cheaper online anyway.

Online electricals is probably the main reason for the demise of Comet..............who will be next:(
Quite possibly although my local Comet still has them on display so may vary from branch to branch.
Of course they may be that dumb as to keep on displaying goods they dont have :)

Agree most of the goods with 10% off can almost certainly be bought elsewhere (even on High St) for less but there were a few bargains. I picked up a Humax HDR FREEVIEW FOX - T2 Hard disk recorder for £153 and cheapest I can find it on net is £200 +. I guess eventually they will bring prices lower but its a bit like a dutch auction to see whos nerve breaks first.

What worries me about the demise of places like Comet is how are you meant to look at goods to decide which one you want to buy ?. Online reviews are fine but sometimes it is still nice to see a item in the flesh before parting with cash. It also means the "hot" reviewed product will sell in bucket loads and every thing else will just sit there so can then see manufacturers getting in trouble as well.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It also means the "hot" reviewed product will sell in bucket loads and every thing else will just sit there so can then see manufacturers getting in trouble as well.
And the trouble with that situation is that it leads to sham reviews and ratings. How often we see or hear claims of "best supermarket cheese/meat etc seller of the year" or "Voted best xxxx product of the year" etc, all too often the voting through an organisation set up by the "winner". Similarly reviews are often fakes even now or at least done by beneficiaries, and those practices will expand in the situation you highlight.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well....off I went to have a look, Comet had one 32gb version available but I would rather buy from amazon or Apple.....and probably the 16gb.

I decided I liked the feel of the iPad better than the Galaxy Tab.......slowly getting there.......

THEN....I spoke to the lad in our office who says he wouldnt get another iPad as he now thinks the Toshiba Tab is good and he wont upgrade his original iPad because he seems to think that once you download the upgrade, Apple have a code inside which slowly runs the speed down until you decide you simply have to buy the new super duper version :confused:

Mind you, with Apple I wouldnt be surprised if that was true......

He did however confirm that lack of flash was not a problem.

You are right Dave....I DO overthink things.......so much so that its now taken me 18 months of cogitating to get THIS far......only benefit is.....if/when I buy the iPad at least I will be four upgraded versions down the line :D
( I wonder when the iPad5 is due out lol )

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You are right Dave....I DO overthink things.......so much so that its now taken me 18 months of cogitating to get THIS far......
Logically, doesn't this long delay through prevarication mean you don't need one and can save the money? :)

mtb1956

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Horndean, hants
I have a bottom end IPad2 (16GB) and never had any issues with storage. So I would advise not to waste your money on more space or 3G. I also have a £120 chinese Android 10" tablet which is pretty good once you realise that the stock Browser supplied with it is pants and you need to use Opera Mini instead. If I was pushed for cash, I'd go for the Chinese AMPE A10 (available in many guises!). Otherwise I think you are going to go for the IPad.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Logically, doesn't this long delay through prevarication mean you don't need one and can save the money? :)
Well you would think so, BUT.... not really Flecc, because up until now I have had a perfectly functional Toshiba pro laptop which is now coming to the end of its days....overheating....switching itself off.....hardly any space left......so now IS finally the time to come to a decision, preferably before it is forced on me by being suddenly left disconnected by a defunct laptop ........NOT a scenario I fancy.......:eek:

Amazing isnt it these days how the thought of not being on the internet is enough to send us into sheer unadulterated panic mode......well, it is for me......

mind you , in an emergency I can still access my emails etc through phone, iPod and Kindle..............phew, TG........ :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Well....off I went to have a look, Comet had one 32gb version available but I would rather buy from amazon or Apple.....and probably the 16gb.
This is one item where buying from Comet really holds few (if any disadvantages) as if it goes wrong just contact Apple direct (ie the same as if you bought it from them) and they will sort you out in exactly the same way as if you bought it from them (Just remember to keep the receipt and register it with Apple). Can even just pop into a local Apple store and they will also help out. So get pretty much the same support as if bought over internet and with a discount on the buying price.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
This is one item where buying from Comet really holds few (if any disadvantages) as if it goes wrong just contact Apple direct (ie the same as if you bought it from them) and they will sort you out in exactly the same way as if you bought it from them (Just remember to keep the receipt and register it with Apple). Can even just pop into a local Apple store and they will also help out. So get pretty much the same support as if bought over internet and with a discount on the buying price.
Ah, OK GaRRy thanks for that, I think its definitely going to be an iPod, (yes, you were right mtb1956 :)).....just as soon as I have paid the 'god knows how much' bills coming for the M/home which is due in for a few 'remedials' in 2 weeks :eek:

I am trying to be sensible......bit of a novel idea for me, but, 'needs must', as they say :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I know...Im quite proud of myself :D

celedep

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
North London
If you want a tablet it can only be iPad, I have tried the Android tablets and as others have posted I soon learned my lesson. I know when I use the iPad it works, does what I need it to do.
I do also run a laptop, because these devices are not as "well rounded" as the manufacturers will have you believe. They all do certain things better than the other, call it format wars if you like.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I'm sure an iPad is wonderful and I'm sure a Rolls Royce is wonderful.

But back on planet earth I'll have to make do with my Android tablet and my Toyota Corolla.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I've been lurking: my Sony Reader has 15% dead pixels; my Dell laptop is on the edge of a nervous breakdown; my Nokia 1208 is outmoded and my HP iPaq is u/s.
I use the Dell to write novels; I read books on the Sony e-reader; I send texts on the Nokia and I'd like to keep notes on the iPaq. I have fists the size of hams and 50% of functional memory left (the human version). High prices frighten me. I use the PC for writing and t'internet. Tell, me, doctor - is there any hope? Just one gadget instead of many? The only tablets I have so far are the ones nurse deals out ...

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Dear lurker

A nice new iPad will cure all your ills, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I've been lurking: my Sony Reader has 15% dead pixels; my Dell laptop is on the edge of a nervous breakdown; my Nokia 1208 is outmoded and my HP iPaq is u/s.
I use the Dell to write novels; I read books on the Sony e-reader; I send texts on the Nokia and I'd like to keep notes on the iPaq. I have fists the size of hams and 50% of functional memory left (the human version). High prices frighten me. I use the PC for writing and t'internet. Tell, me, doctor - is there any hope? Just one gadget instead of many? The only tablets I have so far are the ones nurse deals out ...

Oh dear......you sound in a bad way and in need of a 'gadget transfusion'.......just ask your nurse to change your tablets lol

I have to say though, that although it would be great to have just one gadget, in reality you do need more.
The only thing I have that has done away with something is my Samsung Galaxy phone which has managed to kick my camera into touch.

Nothing reads books like a Kindle......
An iPod is essential for conveniently carrying your music from vehicle to vehicle......

Hopefully I am soon to find out that life begins with an iPad in my hands......roll on the next 2 weeks.....:cool:

I believe that gadgets cheer you up soooo much that they should be available on the NHS :D

4maddogs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
THEN....I spoke to the lad in our office who says he wouldnt get another iPad as he now thinks the Toshiba Tab is good and he wont upgrade his original iPad because he seems to think that once you download the upgrade, Apple have a code inside which slowly runs the speed down until you decide you simply have to buy the new super duper version :confused:

Rubbish!! There is always an "expert" who isn't!!
I am happy with my iPad (2) 32Gb and have plenty of space left on it. It is versatile and can do things a laptop can't (apps for various things) starts instantly & just does it! I have the 3G version as I travel and cannot connect via WiFi always. I also have a macbook air......but I won't tempt you further!

4maddogs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2012
North Norfolk
Yup....a macbook air with an external hard drive for storage....it will automatically back the novel up and you keep it somewhere safe.
The Kindle app is good......and you can read in the dark too and look at coloured books (I d like pictures!) like photography books and magazines. There is a eReader app for non kindle versions although I expect there is something to convert them too.....I must check that out!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Rubbish!! There is always an "expert" who isn't!!
I am happy with my iPad (2) 32Gb and have plenty of space left on it. It is versatile and can do things a laptop can't (apps for various things) starts instantly & just does it! I have the 3G version as I travel and cannot connect via WiFi always. I also have a macbook air......but I won't tempt you further!
Well as soon as I get the van sorted and make sure I havent any expensive extras lurking ready to bite me I think will be going for the latest iPad 16gb....I dont need 3G as I have my phone for that.

You just HAD to mention that macbook air didnt you :p

Ive just realised actually that your 'name' would be well suited to me too.....do I take it you are another fellow nutter with four mad dogs ? lol

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Well as soon as I get the van sorted and make sure I havent any expensive extras lurking ready to bite me I think will be going for the latest iPad 16gb....I dont need 3G as I have my phone for that.

You just HAD to mention that macbook air didnt you :p

Ive just realised actually that your 'name' would be well suited to me too.....do I take it you are another fellow nutter with four mad dogs ? lol

Go the full hog macbook Air, iPad and iPhone :)

some how that has what I have ended up with and the integration across them via iCloud with out any messing around is great.

Im sure there are other better/cheaper solutions out there but they all seem to involve a lot of messing around to get them working. Great for geeks but not for us who want to spend our time doing more important things.

Advertisers